Notices

Recommendations Welcomed: 1st timer..Custom-create or entry level turbo kit?

Old 10-27-2016, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations Welcomed: 1st timer..Custom-create or entry level turbo kit?

Would this be a good kit for entry-level? Or would you guys recommend I build one from scratch? I am new to forced induction so any advice would be great!

GoAUTO Street Integra Turbo Kit | 1994-2001 Acura Integra | On Sale: $2,059.99
Old 10-27-2016, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: Recommendations Welcomed: 1st timer..Custom-create or entry level turbo kit?

I would recommend going with go autoworks quality parts with good fitment and you cant beat the price elsewhere. Kinda hard to say much more then that without knowing your power goals
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: Recommendations Welcomed: 1st timer..Custom-create or entry level turbo kit?

you could piece one together for a bit cheaper
Old 10-28-2016, 04:09 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
you could piece one together for a bit cheaper
Not by much, and only if you really know what you're doing and getting. For a first tuner, this is a good start
Old 10-28-2016, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CloudR
Would this be a good kit for entry-level? Or would you guys recommend I build one from scratch? I am new to forced induction so any advice would be great!

GoAUTO Street Integra Turbo Kit 1994-2001 Acura Integra On Sale: $2,059.99
Don't forget about the components (needed or simply helpful/supportive) that aren't included in the kit: ECU, injectors, fuel pump, clutch components, remainder of the exhaust (downpipe back), etc.

That being said, having purchased a cheaper kit and add ons myself, I wish I would have done one of Greg's kits from GoAutoworks and saved myself replacing shoddy new components from the very beginning.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by bergercurtis
Don't forget about the components (needed or simply helpful/supportive) that aren't included in the kit: ECU, injectors, fuel pump, clutch components, remainder of the exhaust (downpipe back), etc.

That being said, having purchased a cheaper kit and add ons myself, I wish I would have done one of Greg's kits from GoAutoworks and saved myself replacing shoddy new components from the very beginning.
I'll Co-Sign That, Player...
Old 10-28-2016, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I would recommend going with go autoworks quality parts with good fitment and you cant beat the price elsewhere. Kinda hard to say much more then that without knowing your power goals
It sounds like this kit is a good out-of-the box for a first timer. I'd like to make around 350whp on a B18C5. I don't want tires spinning ... I want usable power I can put on the ground... preferably very little lag in the low end with good power mid range up.

Originally Posted by bergercurtis

So I'll need an EMS, fuel system (injectors, rails, and pump), and cat-back exhaust. Do you guys see anything else I would be missing to get going with this kit?

Thanks for the info guys. With this base kit it looks like all I'm missing is an EMS, a fuel system, and cat-back exhaust system? The kit is limited to these turbos: Turbonetics T3 Super60, Turbonetics T3/T04B and the Garrett GT28 Journal Bearing. Any recs on these guys?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

upgraded clutch, possibly mounts depending on your current ones and catch can should be installed IMO
Old 10-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

... The kit is limited to these turbos: Turbonetics T3 Super60, Turbonetics T3/T04B and the Garrett GT28 Journal Bearing. Any recs on these guys?
I'm seeking out a GT28 for my build for similar reasons to those you mentioned. I don't have much personal experience with any of them, but that would be the most responsive and has been the turbo declared to 'make superchargers obsolete' on its release due to such a quick spool time and low end torque gains.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:12 PM

You won't make 350whp on any of those. Especially the GT28 Journal Bearing. those are the smaller sized turbochargers that are used for 91-93 octane. Once those get the boost turned up, they run out of airflow. But there are other alternatives simply because the flanging those kits used are universally applied.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Recommendations Welcomed: 1st timer..Custom-create or entry level turbo kit?

If you do buy the GT28 and want a bigger turbo, I'll trade you my brand new- in box PTE 5431E that would easily fit into the ~350whp range. Plus cash on my end.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Recommendations Welcomed: 1st timer..Custom-create or entry level turbo kit?

Okay guys I'm back. I took a big u-turn and went the supercharger route last year. Now I'm looking into a turbo setup to get the most out of my B-Series. I'm looking to do around 400whp+. As for driving type, it's going to be a weekend fun car for the canyons mostly and occasionally the track. I am NOT looking to do any drag racing. I didn't want to be that typical noob and ask for everything to be given to me so I did look into the parts and have a list to start off with. I'd like some feedback from the "been-there-done-that" peeps if they have anything better they would recommend. Thanks in advance.

Turbo
GT30R
(Specs of turbine yet to tbd. Honestly I have no idea which A/R to get for both compressor and turbine housing. If I was picking anything it would just be based on "bigger number is better" aka totally out of my ***)
Tial Wastegate
2.5" piping
Tial/HKS BoV

Engine
Supertech valvetrain (valves, springs, retainers, etc.)
Crower Cams
S2 Pro Cam Gears
CP Pistons
Golden Eagle Rods
Stock Sleeves
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Head Studs
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay guys I'm back. I took a big u-turn and went the supercharger route last year. Now I'm looking into a turbo setup to get the most out of my B-Series. I'm looking to do around 400whp+. As for driving type, it's going to be a weekend fun car for the canyons mostly and occasionally the track. I am NOT looking to do any drag racing. I didn't want to be that typical noob and ask for everything to be given to me so I did look into the parts and have a list to start off with. I'd like some feedback from the "been-there-done-that" peeps if they have anything better they would recommend. Thanks in advance.

Turbo
GT30R
(Specs of turbine yet to tbd. Honestly I have no idea which A/R to get for both compressor and turbine housing. If I was picking anything it would just be based on "bigger number is better" aka totally out of my ***)
Tial Wastegate
2.5" piping
Tial/HKS BoV

Engine
Supertech valvetrain (valves, springs, retainers, etc.)
Crower Cams
S2 Pro Cam Gears
CP Pistons
Golden Eagle Rods
Stock Sleeves
Cometic Head Gasket
ARP Head Studs
I would go with 2" piping on the hot side, better yet just get a kit from go autoworks thats typically the way he sets his up unless something special is requested. IMO go back to your original idea of 350+ makes for a better street car. Skip the crower cams I say stick with stock GSR/type R With stock cam gears if you absolutely think you need cams I would Go Skunk2 Tuner2 With AEM cam gears. Not too sure about which cometic head gasket your implying but dont get the "thick" one I would go with OEM or GE headgasket.

Everything else sounds about right. I have a 400HP car and its more then enough, actually too much If i had to do it over I would go just a tad lower like 360-380.

Look at the goauto Street X kits perfect for street cars IMO
Old 01-16-2018, 10:14 PM

I would go with 2" piping on the hot side, better yet just get a kit from go autoworks thats typically the way he sets his up unless something special is requested. IMO go back to your original idea of 350+ makes for a better street car. Skip the crower cams I say stick with stock GSR/type R With stock cam gears if you absolutely think you need cams I would Go Skunk2 Tuner2 With AEM cam gears. Not too sure about which cometic head gasket your implying but dont get the "thick" one I would go with OEM or GE headgasket.

Everything else sounds about right. I have a 400HP car and its more then enough, actually too much If i had to do it over I would go just a tad lower like 360-380.

Look at the goauto Street X kits perfect for street cars IMO
Agreed with all the above , but stick to Tuner 1, over the tuner 2, if you must go with an aftermarket camshaft.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Agreed with all the above , but stick to Tuner 1, over the tuner 2, if you must go with an aftermarket camshaft.

I will admit my knowlege on cams it quite vague, arnet the Tuner 1s basically the same as TypeR/CTR tho?
Old 01-17-2018, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I will admit my knowlege on cams it quite vague, arnet the Tuner 1s basically the same as TypeR/CTR tho?
They're one bump above the CTR cams. Not as aggressive as the GSC T1 or the S2 Pro1 cams. Tuner 1's can also be acquired (new) cheaper than CTR/ITR cams, unless you find a good used set of the OEM.

I was reading on cams last week when the GSC T1 thread resurfaced.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cam gears, aftermarket cams, fuel rails, Intake manifolds, throttle bodies etc...are all a waste of money for your goals. I am at over 500whp with type R cams and stock cam gears. Supertech valves are sketchy. Buy Ferrea and have some piece of mind.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Cam gears, aftermarket cams, fuel rails, Intake manifolds, throttle bodies etc...are all a waste of money for your goals. I am at over 500whp with type R cams and stock cam gears. Supertech valves are sketchy. Buy Ferrea and have some piece of mind.

missed that part....i would recommnd using stock valves myself really no reason not to unless your stock valves are damaged, at that point cost can be an issue with OEM valves
Old 01-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Once again HT peeps came through. I appreciate all of your input and this has helped me to narrow down my choice drastically! It looks like I can skip cams for now since I have stock ITR cams. I'm going to seriously consider the Street X version since TheShodan has said that the Garrett GT28 (available in the normal Street package) would not even get me to my original goal of 350whp. GoAUTO looks like a good buy and everything is there that I would need. Since my car is staying as a street car I would like to keep my A/C and P/S (I know I know). Once I find the right kit I'll be back to have you guys help me select the right turbo that is available in which ever kit I'm going for. Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the go-autoworks street x kit with the gt2867r. A really nice kit and the customer service is excellent!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with goautoworks!! Greg is the man.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Once again HT peeps came through. I appreciate all of your input and this has helped me to narrow down my choice drastically! It looks like I can skip cams for now since I have stock ITR cams. I'm going to seriously consider the Street X version since TheShodan has said that the Garrett GT28 (available in the normal Street package) would not even get me to my original goal of 350whp. GoAUTO looks like a good buy and everything is there that I would need. Since my car is staying as a street car I would like to keep my A/C and P/S (I know I know). Once I find the right kit I'll be back to have you guys help me select the right turbo that is available in which ever kit I'm going for. Thanks again!
Definitely dont need cams. Im still using ITRs @ 630whp.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

+1 for Go Auto. GT/X2860 would get you 350WHP, but that would be roughly the max limit of the turbo. Street X with a 2867 would likely be perfect and should make 350WHP fairly comfortably.

Street X kit would be perfect.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

...+2 for the Street X (or S-X500 now) kit
(turbo sizing dependent on what your goal is)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would definately get the S-race with the turbonetics 5454 turbo.
Better a "proper" welded manifold than a ball bearing turbo. Also id get the 3" downpipe for later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations Welcomed: 1st timer..Custom-create or entry level turbo kit?