Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Recommendations Request: Which Transmission is best to use based upon my needs? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/recommendations-request-transmission-best-use-based-upon-my-needs-3328313/)

glibz 10-03-2018 01:07 PM

Recommendations Request: Which Transmission is best to use based upon my needs?

Wanted to know your all's opinion on best transmissions for boost. Currently I Have a b16a with an LS trans

AZ_CIVIC 10-03-2018 01:13 PM

re: Recommendations Request: Which Transmission is best to use based upon my needs?

GSR.

Chance EG 10-04-2018 04:51 AM

re: Recommendations Request: Which Transmission is best to use based upon my needs?

Boost is irrelevant. All that matters is the power to the wheels and the intent of the car.

ZealAutoworks has a good online calculator for comparing transmission ratios.

Every time I hear someone using a B16 with an LS trans (especially all motor) I cry a little on the inside.

JRCivic1 10-04-2018 11:25 AM

Chance EG, so you are saying "One that doesn't grind is best", right ?!?
On the B16/LS combination... I feel your pain.

JRCivic1 10-04-2018 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51745293)
ZealAutoworks has a good online calculator for comparing transmission ratios.

Not for "K" series... someone needs to update that for realz. They got the "B" stuff on lock down doe, so the OP should be set to figure out his/her exact needs. :whirly:

Chance EG 10-04-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51745715)
Not for "K" series... someone needs to update that for realz. They got the "B" stuff on lock down doe, so the OP should be set to figure out his/her exact needs. :whirly:

You can still input your own gear ratios bruh.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...c6b8f02850.jpg

K7-1Ktrevor 10-04-2018 04:42 PM

Depends on what you use the car for. If it's drag I'd use estimated trap speed along with tire size and rev limit to find the shortest gearing you can run. Itr, b16 or gsr would all be worlds better then a ls though.

JRCivic1 10-04-2018 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51745920)
You can still input your own gear ratios bruh.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...c6b8f02850.jpg

Of course... but I ain't got no time for dat !!! They should be in the pull down menu bruh. :cheers: :whirly:

Chance EG 10-05-2018 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by JRCivic1 (Post 51746072)
Of course... but I ain't got no time for dat !!! They should be in the pull down menu bruh. :cheers: :whirly:

Quick release steering wheels, and quick release gear ratio tables =)

Edit: Bruh.

TheShodan 10-05-2018 08:00 AM

Re: Recommendations Request: Which Transmission is best to use based upon my needs?

Originally Posted by glibz (Post 51744950)
Wanted to know your all's opinion on best transmissions for boost. Currently I Have a b16a with an LS trans

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor (Post 51745921)
Depends on what you use the car for. If it's drag I'd use estimated trap speed along with tire size and rev limit to find the shortest gearing you can run. Itr, b16 or gsr would all be worlds better then a ls though.

Co-Sign. You have to state the purpose of the car. Different purposes and uses require different behaviours coming from the engine & turbocharger setup. There's no one-size-fits-all, but there are better transmissions to start with, then you can tailor the gearing behaviours to your needs. Be mindful, in many areas of the U.S. good transmissions are hard to find. If you transmission runs quite well, it may be in your best interest to simply change the needed gear sets/final drives, etc rather than to risk purchasing a "bad" transmission from somewhere else, parties unknown.

Think about what you currently have, and use the enclosed calculator to see if perhaps only certain things need changing, or whether a different transmission type altogether is needed. These tools will provide the best assistance. You can then ask opinions of others based upon their purpose of their use, (taking into account the size and purpose of their turbocharged build) and see if they contain similar behaviours as to those that you're looking for, rather than asking blindly "what is best"..

The real question to ask is "What is best for you".

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4325d3c9ac.jpg

MFactory Transmission / Final Drive / Torque Multiplyer calculator

extremeracer 10-07-2018 11:25 PM

Re: Recommendations Request: Which Transmission is best to use based upon my needs?

Use the calculators as the other members have suggested based upon your requirements, use of car, max rpm etc. To give you an example I made the switch from a LS trans to a B16A with 4.400 FD and picked up around a 0.5 second in my 1/4 mile time without other changes however when I started adding more power into the equation the B16 with 4.4 FD was too short taking into account my car's rpm limit, power and tyre size which resulted in me hitting the rev limiter before the line. In the end I settled on the following combo B16A 1st to 3rd, GSR 4th, B16 5th and 4.266 FD.

Its all about your setup and what you need it to do, what your limitations are etc. A B16A trans does make the car accelerate faster than the LS, at the expense of mph and highway fuel economy if you concerned about that, but it can pose a problem if you need more mph like I explained above or if you doing roll racing etc.