Notices

recipe for turbo 300hp stock b16a

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recipe for turbo 300hp stock b16a

ok i have done lots and lots of reading and research that i could. please done reffer me to the search tab coz i have been der more dan 8-10 times by now but im getting mixed opinion

this is my 3rd attempt to try to make this work,so please HELP ME OUT GUYS!!!

im planning to built a turbo set up on a stock b16a. so far my budget is about 1500 on the turbo kit. some says i need internals,some says i dont,so im dead confused about it. im planing on sourcing my turbo kit n internals(if needed) from hondamarketplace cause i figure it will be cheaper for me. i dont mind some lightly used stuff as long as they work just fine.

about the tune i haven't decided yet but i guess i'll go with hondata s300.

now guys please tell me what i need.

so far im saying a

a log mani
a tial wastegate
FMIC
550cc injectors
not sure about the turbo...suggest me somthing

im planing to custom make all the pipes,i think i can do that,the charge pipes and the downpipe as well....that should help out more on my 1500 budget with the turbo

finaly,again guys...HELP ME OUT!!!! trying disparately here
Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: recipe for turbo 300hp stock b16a

Well, Mr. Ghost Rider...

It has been proven time & time again, that 300 whp can be achieved quite easily on these B series motors with stock block & head internals. The key to doing it reliably & effectively requires this recipe:

1) Quality parts & setup
2) Correct turbo choice
3) Motor health (compression & leakdown tests)
4) Proper engine management/tuning

1) Choose parts that are proven to perform. Don't cheap out. Considering your $1500 budget, you may wanna save up a little more. Sure, you can find used quality parts in the marketplace section on here, but you have to consider what condition they may be in. Me personally, would stay away from anything Ebay, but the intercoolers. They work pretty well for a budget build.

2) Based on your power goal, I assume this is gonna be a daily driver, therefore, a streetable powerband is in order. I would suggest something in the Garrett/Precision family. Not to say that other units (ie: Borg, Holset, Turbonetics, etc.) won't work, but the Garrett & Precision units are a tried & true platform among our B series motors. With that said, a t3/t04e 50 trim will do nicely. Very efficient turbo for that particular power goal, and spools rather nicely, even for the ultra short stroke of the B16 motor. I would also suggest an Inline Pro SS cast manifold. One of the best cast units on the market IMO, and won't break your pockets, either.

3) Be sure your motor is in good health. Perform a compression & leakdown test. You do not want to turbocharge a motor with weak piston rings, a warped head or bad head gasket. ARP headstuds are cheap peace of mind insurance & help ward off head lift.

4) Good engine management & tuning is PARAMOUNT. You mentioned Hondata S300, which is a good choice. And lastly, make sure you have a good & reputable tuner. A good turbo setup is only as good as its tune.

If this was my setup, it would go as follows:

Inline cast mani
Garrett t3/t04e 50 trim (.63 a/r)
3" DP
3" exhaust
Precision 350hp FMIC
TiAL WG & BOV
ID 750 cc injectors
Hondata MAP sensor
Walbro 255 lph
Hallman Pro MBC

Simple & effective. Check out the big "B16A setups" thread on here, and good luck, homie.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:15 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although i dont disagree with the listed setup, i have a hard time believing he could find all that while staying within his meager budget. For example, you can get a Hondata 3bar MAP but you could spend half as much for a Motorola 2.5bar. You could get a Hondata S300 system for $800 OR you could run Crome / Neptune. I've run Crome for nearly 4 years now without issue. The same could be said for the injectors (get used ones), the boost controller (run off WG spring pressure or get a cheap-o boost controller). There are several cost-cutting options here if you choose to pursue them.

If this is truly a budget build, there's no sense in suggesting steak to his bolognae budget.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4
Well, Mr. Ghost Rider...

It has been proven time & time again, that 300 whp can be achieved quite easily on these B series motors with stock block & head internals. The key to doing it reliably & effectively requires this recipe:

1) Quality parts & setup
2) Correct turbo choice
3) Motor health (compression & leakdown tests)
4) Proper engine management/tuning

1) Choose parts that are proven to perform. Don't cheap out. Considering your $1500 budget, you may wanna save up a little more. Sure, you can find used quality parts in the marketplace section on here, but you have to consider what condition they may be in. Me personally, would stay away from anything Ebay, but the intercoolers. They work pretty well for a budget build.

2) Based on your power goal, I assume this is gonna be a daily driver, therefore, a streetable powerband is in order. I would suggest something in the Garrett/Precision family. Not to say that other units (ie: Borg, Holset, Turbonetics, etc.) won't work, but the Garrett & Precision units are a tried & true platform among our B series motors. With that said, a t3/t04e 50 trim will do nicely. Very efficient turbo for that particular power goal, and spools rather nicely, even for the ultra short stroke of the B16 motor. I would also suggest an Inline Pro SS cast manifold. One of the best cast units on the market IMO, and won't break your pockets, either.

3) Be sure your motor is in good health. Perform a compression & leakdown test. You do not want to turbocharge a motor with weak piston rings, a warped head or bad head gasket. ARP headstuds are cheap peace of mind insurance & help ward off head lift.

4) Good engine management & tuning is PARAMOUNT. You mentioned Hondata S300, which is a good choice. And lastly, make sure you have a good & reputable tuner. A good turbo setup is only as good as its tune.

If this was my setup, it would go as follows:

Inline cast mani
Garrett t3/t04e 50 trim (.63 a/r)
3" DP
3" exhaust
Precision 350hp FMIC
TiAL WG & BOV
ID 750 cc injectors
Hondata MAP sensor
Walbro 255 lph
Hallman Pro MBC

Simple & effective. Check out the big "B16A setups" thread on here, and good luck, homie.
thank you very very much for the reply.....ment alot to me. hoping to get few more opinions like this.

btw you also have a DA9??mines a JDM DA5 :-D
Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Although i dont disagree with the listed setup, i have a hard time believing he could find all that while staying within his meager budget. For example, you can get a Hondata 3bar MAP but you could spend half as much for a Motorola 2.5bar. You could get a Hondata S300 system for $800 OR you could run Crome / Neptune. I've run Crome for nearly 4 years now without issue. The same could be said for the injectors (get used ones), the boost controller (run off WG spring pressure or get a cheap-o boost controller). There are several cost-cutting options here if you choose to pursue them.

If this is truly a budget build, there's no sense in suggesting steak to his bolognae budget.
ok let me clear out alittle more about my budget. right now i have about 1500 in hand for the turbo kit.this includes

the turbo
intercooler
injectors
WG and BOV
Manifold
fuel pump

this is all that i want with in my 1500 or 1800 if needed.

then i have another 1200 to 1500 for the hondata+ecu+map sensor+harness(coz im OBD0 now) and the TUNE!!! I'm looking for a tuner who wont mind flying in to bangladesh and tume my car.i can arrange his ticket and hotel charges,no problems,he can work at the basement of the hotel. so if anybody know a good tuner near by to me,near ASIA REGION,PLEASE GIVE ME HIS CONTACT INFOS

then i got another 300-500 for a decent radiator and a clutch and anything els that i might need.at this point i can also put a 800 more if i need to change pistons and rods.

so if i do the total calculation,it should be well over 4500-5000.

about all the pipeing.....im planing to custom make them from my local shops,that way they will fit the car better and will be cheaper as well. that includes all the pipeing......the intake piping...the downpipe....exhaust.....all of it
Old 10-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Schister66;43690169]Although i dont disagree with the listed setup, i have a hard time believing he could find all that while staying within his meager budget. For example, you can get a Hondata 3bar MAP but you could spend half as much for a Motorola 2.5bar. You could get a Hondata S300 system for $800 OR you could run Crome /

i have not seen any s300's going for 800 i bought
phearable.net's tax shipping usb cable, software,and your custom basemap for under 600. but i do agree with you on the rest.
ebay 2.5 bar
dsm injectors
and there's all ways Holset turbos dirt cheap and great performance.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds like a good set up.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/my-e85-stock-b16a-dyno-2844645/
Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats pretty much my setup.......but its on E85 and i will be on pump gas.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i think im gona put some forged pistons and rods for a better peace of mind....that way i might get away with 300-350whp,right?

ok so what pistons do i need?what comp ratio??since mines a totaly stock 1st gem JDM b16a,its a 81mm??what comp pistons do i need?9.1?10.1? which is good for turbo and why?.

also what rods??can somebody help me with the rods part number or description or anything??