Notices

Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up

Old 03-14-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up

I've searched quite a bit on this but cant seem to find a decent answer. I will be running a GSR head with some kind of t3 turbo. looking to lay down 350-400 whp. Daily driven in the summer. what do you reccomend for a cam/ cam gear set up. I'd like to do something with more mounting points so theres little chance of slip. Would love to do the ferra roller rocker set up that eliminates vtec but i cant find it any cheaper than $1700 so if anyone has any other ideas great! PLEASE help and thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up (BLKCivicPorscheStyle*)

Forget about vtec killer ****, vtec engines have been make 700+ for a long time. As for cams, gsr, type-r,and turbo cams all work just fine. If you get adjustable cam gears, make sure that they have more than 3 bolts, otherwise you will need to check the bolt torques almost daily to prevent slippage.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up (Mugencrxsir1)

how high u wanna rev it? thats the main question.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up (Mugencrxsir1)

thanks that makes sense, Im not really sure. the whole turbo thing is new to me just any insight would help. It will be running an LS tranny, the gears are spaced out well so i suppose you wouldnt have to run the rpms too high?!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up (BLKCivicPorscheStyle*)

bump what are good turbo cams?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my personal choice on turbo cams would be some jg engine dynamic cams if you got money to spin, but search gsr cams and read about them and see how many people just go with gsr cams.

as for cam gears, i got some skunk2 pro series cam gears, i think they are one of the lightest cam gears out there and they have five bolts.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up (tgh99si)

I have made the most power with Rocket M21 Cams, and I run the Skunk 2 cam gears.

UGR makes some nice affordable cam gears. You should look into their Toda style cam gears. If I didn't have my Skunk 2's then I would most likely be running those.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up (BodyKits NW)

I saw many people reccomend GSR cams or even better ITR cams. I have a set of GSR's but is there any benifit to running an actual turbo cam over that? Head will have full Ferrea valvetrain with 1mm oversized valves.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR cams with the stock cam gear. Only reason you'd need adj. cam gears is if the head had been milled a **** load. Otherwise your cams won't even need adjusted. If you really want em look into the ones from FullRace. They're dope.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:20 PM

any one running stage 2 N/A cams?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up (BokChoy)

I never got any benefits from cam adjustment with my turbo setups, they always made the most power at the OEM settings, so I'd say stock cam gears, that way no chance of them slipping. For your objectives GSR cams should be fine. I'd avoid aftermarket N/A cams as they generally have too much overlap for a boosted motor. I run Crower Stage 2 Turbo/SC cams, about the same duration as a GSR intake and ITR exhaust, but more lift than either. They work well on my setup, but I'm running a SC. I made 408 WHP out of my daily driver with stock B16A2 cams and OEM cam gears when I used to run a turbo.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:42 AM

I did a lot more searching on the entire forumn, I don't know if people on the forumn here one thing from two people and just assume that its right so they say it too. But it seems like a lot of guys are using the GSR stock cams I looked at the specs of the crower ones vs these and the lift is higher but so is duration. I figured out with a Turbo cam you want high lift low duration. Another thing that I found was a bit of a problem is when running these cams you are "required" to run there valvetrain. I am already running the ferrea valve train w/ 1mm oversized valves.
http://www.crower.com/cat/impo...shtml
Originally Posted by rmcdaniels
These cam gears use arp bolts with a patented Time'n Lock serrations to prevent slippage. Each setting is in 2 degree increments.
With the Skunk2 It doesnt specifically say that they are usable with stock cams but i'm assuming and how preventitive are they against slip, with the full race its awesome that they are said to work with stock cams but again worry about slip, and the evolution ones seem most proven against slip but do they work with stock cams. any insight would be great. hopefully this thread will help some other people too bc this sort of question seems to get asked a lot and answered not very often
Old 03-19-2006, 09:46 AM

Default Re: (BLKCivicPorscheStyle*)

edit: they all cost about the same, rmcdaniels did not quote the last quote that was from titan motorsports and a picture of the skunk2's the other on is not showing on my computer:
Old 03-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Has your block or head been milled down a lot or has it even been touch? If it hasn't your not going to need Adj cam gears. You'll see the most hp at the stock settings. Seriously, try the stock cam and stock cam gears. If your not happy with the numbers, then go with something else. It'll save ya $400.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (BLKTeg94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLKTeg94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has your block or head been milled down a lot or has it even been touch? If it hasn't your not going to need Adj cam gears. You'll see the most hp at the stock settings. Seriously, try the stock cam and stock cam gears. If your not happy with the numbers, then go with something else. It'll save ya $400.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quit spreading misinformation.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

correct me if I'm wrong then... I always thought adg cam gears were so when you go to put the timing belt on, with a milled head or block, when you tension up the timing belt, it'll bring your cams slightly out of TDC. So you adj the cams to TDC?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well even on stock engines you can still get some HP gains or at least shift peak torque around to where you want it through cam gear adjustment. Turbo Hondas are not what the OEM cams were made for, so even greater gains can be had on boosted applications. Yes, camgears can be used to get the cam back to true tdc, but for the most part they are used for dyno tuning.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nfn15037)

The Ferrea valve train should be fine if you want to run the Crower cams, they just don't want you to use a stock valvetrain. I use RLZ valves/springs with them and they work fine. Just make sure they don't bind when you install the cams.

As far as adjusting cam gears on a turbo setup, I've had several different turbo setups and have never made significant gains varying the cam timing from stock. I've tried it over and over again on dynos and never ended up with anything significantly better than the stock settings, so take that for what it's worth. On supercharged setups I've made significant gains from dialing out some overlap, but not with turbo setups.

The FR and Skunk2 style of cam gears are a PITA to adjust compared to the GE and STR style. I can easily adjust my GE gears down to 1/2 degree because the marks are so big and so far out on the edge of the gear. Here's a picture:

I wouldn't sweat the Crower cams having a few more degrees of duration than OEM cams, if you look at N/A cam specs, they have a whole lot more duration. That's what you probably want to stay away from.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://forums.evans-tuning.com...=1744

Old 03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

....com on guys. all this for turbo street car. just put in a set of CTR cams and some STR(bdl) cam gears and call it a day.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

i think for my application the stock GSR cams should be fine. It will save me $400+ and if i need the power the block will be sleeved and heavily built so i could always crank the boost but i dont know that that is necessary. So i guess its down to the cam gear any input on the three I put down? or any more info on these rmcdaniels?
Old 03-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLKCivicPorscheStyle*)

GE's are my favorite gear so far, just because they are so easy to adjust. I really hated my Skunk2 gears because the marks were so tiny and close together. I just adjusted my GE's tonight and it was a piece of cake to adjust them in 1 crankshaft degree (1/2 camshaft degree) increments. the GE gears also adjust more smoothly than my Skunk2 gears did.

On a side note, I just finished degreeing my Crower turbo cams and they don't match the spec sheet that came with them. They've got about 8 degrees less duration (which is a good thing) and .01" less lift (which is not a good thing). I couldn't set them to the open/close specs on the sheet because of the duration, so I just set them to the Crower recommended lobe center ( +104 on the intake, -112 on the exhaust).

EDIT - Out of the three you listed, I'd do the Evolutions, they are not as good as the GE's, but the timing marks on the Skunk2 and FR gears really suck.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FullRace all the way.. they look sicc as hell. Or the skunk 2's. Less chance of all 6 screws coming loose.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:12 PM
official honda whore

ctr cams and GE gears seem to be the way to go, jeff-evans has made siginifcant gains with cam gears even with stock cams, i believe he gained 40whp over the entire rev range just by adjusting stock gsr cams
Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 AM

Default Re: (coptzer)

thats awesome, anyone have any info on where to get the GE gears. torn between those and full-race just bc im a "label hoe"/"name *****"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reccomendations on Cam Gears and Cams Turbo set up