Notices

Rebuilt motor won't fire in two cylinders....give me some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt motor won't fire in two cylinders....give me some ideas

Ok, I know I'll probably end up babbling a bit but please bear with me. I just rebuilt my motor last week. It's a turbo LS/Vtec using a GSR block and B16 head. The bore is 84mm btw.

Ok, so here's my problem....

The car isn't making any spark in cylinders three and four. If I pull the plugs out and ground it against the car it sparks just fine though. I can crank the car and it'll run....super bad of course. After letting it run a few seconds I'll pull all the plugs and three and four come out looking brand new. Oh and I know that those two cylinders aren't firing because I can grab a hold of the runners on the manifold (no EGT reading)...they're both luke warm....compared to blazing hot for cylinders one and two. Now, here's what I have checked so far.

1. I have changed the plugs thinking they fouled out. (BKR7-E11's)
2. Checked crank and cam timing twice.
3. Pulled injectors to make sure they fire (1000cc's)
4. Swapped number one and two's injector to three and four
5. Checked the compression....all of them are 150-160 psi...motor is 8.5:1 or so.
6. Swapped on a known good distributor(sp?)
7. Eliminated my MSD box from the ignition system

At this point I don't know what else I can do. The only thing I haven't tried was swapping in a different ECU. What I do know is that the hondata box's light is solid. I'm pretty sure I missed something though....anyway, any help would really really be appreciated!!!!
Old 12-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilt motor won't fire in two cylinders....give me some ideas (Too_Smooth)

My money is on your plug wires not being connected to the distributor in the right order.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Rebuilt motor won't fire in two cylinders....give me some ideas (Muckman)

Do you have a stock ecu with stock injectors you could throw in? Last thing you want to do with a freshly prepped motor is flood it with fuel.

If it sparks when grounded against the car, it's sparking in the engine. Muckman is probably right. I dont know about B series, but on my motor you can have the dist on 180 degrees backwards...so make sure that is correct too.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rebuilt motor won't fire in two cylinders....give me some ideas (sporkcrx)

I swear the easy things are overlooked all the time. I think I did have three and four in the wrong spot on the distributor. Soon as I looked I noticed that number four's wire was tight and three had a lot of slack....swapped them and all the wires look even at the distributor now....it now 3 4
1 2

My battery is dead now though...I sure wanna try this now. Still can't believe I made a stupide mistake like that....first time for everything I guess.

Thanks guys....I'll update this later.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Screw you guys, I'm... going... home.

Default Re: Rebuilt motor won't fire in two cylinders....give me some ideas (Too_Smooth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Too_Smooth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I swear the easy things are overlooked all the time. I think I did have three and four in the wrong spot on the distributor. Soon as I looked I noticed that number four's wire was tight and three had a lot of slack....swapped them and all the wires look even at the distributor now....it now 3 4
1 2

My battery is dead now though...I sure wanna try this now. Still can't believe I made a stupide mistake like that....first time for everything I guess.

Thanks guys....I'll update this later. </TD></TR></TABLE> Glad to hear you found the problem (hopefully!). Trust me, you're not the first, or the hundredth, or the millionth to have done this. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude Im ******* awesome. lol
Old 12-16-2004, 08:15 PM
In-N-Out Burger

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Too_Smooth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My battery is dead now though...I sure wanna try this now. Still can't believe I made a stupide mistake like that....first time for everything I guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you know how to push-start your car, then you can get it to start running even if your battery is dead.

I hope you fix the problem. I know the feeling of not being able to drive your car after you just boosted it or you're just eager to drive it.