Notices

rebuilt motor still smoking??? why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilt motor still smoking??? why?

i have a rebuilt h22 w/ wiseco pistons and rods and etc. it has 500 miles on it already and it still smoke like crazy. when i start the car it comes out for a sec then stops. when i blip the throttle up to 3 k it smoke. its white bluish smoke.

shouldn't my rings have seated already?

could these factors messed up my rings or walls.
- i have hondata and my car shut right off after i started it the first time. throttle point was in the wrong place. we tried firing it up 3 times. on the third time he revs it up to like 3-4k and adj the screw to flatten out the revs. my car hasnt even been on for 1 min yet.

- after i got the car working to be drivable. i drove around on a really lean map. my car would wanna shut off when i reached -5 vac. i tried not to hit -5 and i only revved to like 2500. drove around for like 100 miles. everyone says its ok as long as its not under a heavy load. i feathered the pedal real lightly. could these have messed something up.

my car is boosted but i never hit boost. there is no oil on my plugs. changed the oil after 200 miles no coolant mixed w/ it. coolant still looked fresh. used normal 10w30.

is it my rings or head gasket or do i just need more time?

im getting a comp test done tomorrow

any comments please
Old 12-20-2003, 01:10 AM

Default Re: rebuilt motor still smoking??? why? (booja)

Check to make sure you dont have failing oil seals in your turbo. i experienced that once and it had me scared it was my motor. Any extra pressure or work your motor recieved in its first 100miles probably didnt hurt it that much and depending on how you choose to break it in can help the rings seal faster, but not always. good luck
Old 12-20-2003, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happened to me on a newly rebuilt motor. Check to see if the pcv valve on your breather box on the back side of the block is on there. If not it will create oil to blow by your piston rings and cause bluish smoke to come out of your exhaust. It can also degrade the octane rating in your gas and cause your motor to overheat. The installer didn't put in a pcv valve it was a straight through fitting. As soon as I bought a pcv valve from the dealer and installed it all those problems went away.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:52 AM

Default Re: rebuilt motor still smoking??? why? (Distorted)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Distorted &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check to make sure you dont have failing oil seals in your turbo. i experienced that once and it had me scared it was my motor. Any extra pressure or work your motor recieved in its first 100miles probably didnt hurt it that much and depending on how you choose to break it in can help the rings seal faster, but not always. good luck
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's my guess too, check if there's any oil piles in the intake mani/TB, my charge pipe is soaked with oil when my turbo seal gone bad
Old 12-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i checked the pipes... i dont think the turbo is the problem... i changed my pcv valve too... not it either. anyone else... its getting me worried. i dont have money to get it rebuilt again.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (booja)

What did the compression test tell you?

- What oil did you first use after the rebuild? I hope NOT synthetic ..
WHY?
Synthethic has alot of detergents in the oil. On fresh bearing surfaces the detergents at the molecular level wear themselves into the bearings. You'll experience a faster wear on the bearings. The best oil to use for break-in is non-detergent conventional oil. I have used Shell SAE 30 ND for the last few engines that I have broken in, but pretty much any brand ND (non-detergent) oil will work.

- Take off the turbo inspect the seals, you said no oil in the pipes?

- Any oil on your spark plugs?
if the thread is covered in oil,you could have disturbed the seal for the spark plug cylinders and where it meets the valve cover

- Get a valve adjustment? Leak down test?

Old 12-23-2003, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a new motor and it started smoking,....

it ended up being oil in the exhaust system.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like someone else said, could be oil in your exhaust system, if not it may need more break in time

I saw a b16 turbo that did the exact same thing until bout 1500 miles, then he could booost away and no smoke
Old 12-23-2003, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rebuilt motor still smoking??? why? (tunedbylorange.com)

After 15 miles on my motor it doesn't smoke at all. Did you do an easy break in? This was my first time breaking in a motor and we decided on the "rough" break in approach. Could be any one of the things the other guys mentioned though...