Notices

Rebuilding turbonetics T3/T4 stuck..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rebuilding turbonetics T3/T4 stuck..

Started rebuilding my Turbonetics T3/T4 (T-24968), this will be my first turbo rebuilding experience (first boosted vehicle as well) and I have a question.

How should I go about removing the three bolts on the top of the dynamic seal plate? Think that's what its called. I have one bolt removed, but my torx key just snapped (spun inside the bolt) when I tried to remove the others. Are there metric and standard torx bits or are these just ridiculously tight?

If push comes to shove and I somehow damaged these bolts can I slot and remove them? Then can I replace them with similar bolts from a hardware store?

Finally will I need to re-torque the bolts to a similar specification when I start to assemble the turbo?

Thanks, hoping I can get some insight.
Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding turbonetics T3/T4 stuck..

If this is a T3/T4 hybrid you could replace the bearing housing for $50.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mar778c
If this is a T3/T4 hybrid you could replace the bearing housing for $50.
The guy I bought it from said it was a T3/T4 turbo, not sure really WHAT it is specifically. I would rather just buy the rebuild kit and keep everything original to the turbo (as it sits now, just with the rebuild).
Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As I was told that the housings for all of the t3/T4 JB turbos are built in one factory. I built my 1st turbo recently and I used a new housing with a rebuild kit. It went really smooth. Given that you have a shaft, turbine housing, and compressor section, it will make it a lot less hassle. Oh my turbo started life as a old Turbonetics.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As I was told that the housings for all of the t3/T4 JB turbos are built in one factory. I built my 1st turbo recently and I used a new housing with a rebuild kit. It went really smooth. Given that you have a shaft, turbine housing, and compressor section, it will make it a lot less hassle. Oh my turbo started life as a old Turbonetics.
Any input on getting the bolts out though? Can't go anywhere if I can't get that and the stuck *** turbine housing off..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would start with removing the shaft. The seal should be the only thing keeping the shaft in position.

As for the bolts in the turbine housing, spray them with PB blast and let them soak for a minute. They should come off.

You could try PB blast on the allen/torx screws.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would start with removing the shaft. The seal should be the only thing keeping the shaft in position.

As for the bolts in the turbine housing, spray them with PB blast and let them soak for a minute. They should come off.

You could try PB blast on the allen/torx screws.
I actually did spray it with PB blaster, then I brought it into the metal lab at my school to knock the compressor loose. Then I went to the auto lab to remove the torx screws. Everything went smoothly. Guess I have a ball bearing/journal bearing hybrid turbo? There was a VERY worn journal bearing on the exhaust side and an almost perfect ball bearing on the compressor side. Then the thrust bearing on top of all of that on the compressor side as well. Here are some pictures.

Can someone explain to me what this is? Hybrid bearing turbo searches just comes up with journal-to-ball bearing conversions.

Attached Images   
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

That's because it was an older turbo. Both Turbonetics and Garrett had on some models a journal bearing exhaust side and a ball-bearing compressor side using all Garrett parts. That hasn't been produced in about 8 years or so, and your turbo may be in the 12-14 year mark there, since its using a steel ball-bearing cartridge, and this was when Garrett was distributing through Turbonetics when it came to aftermarket applications.

You'll have better luck switching to a 360* journal bearing kit all around for the full rebuild and as long as you marked where the compressor and exhaust wheels were before you tore it apart, you can rebuild without rebalancing, since you're using the same wheels.. If not, gotta rebalance.

The current Turbonetics ball-bearing cartridges use ceramic bearings, and can only be purchased as a cartridge itself. Keep with the standard bearing rebuild kit from Garrett on that model, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That's because it was an older turbo. Both Turbonetics and Garrett had on some models a journal bearing exhaust side and a ball-bearing compressor side using all Garrett parts. That hasn't been produced in about 8 years or so, and your turbo may be in the 12-14 year mark there, since its using a steel ball-bearing cartridge, and this was when Garrett was distributing through Turbonetics when it came to aftermarket applications.

You'll have better luck switching to a 360* journal bearing kit all around for the full rebuild and as long as you marked where the compressor and exhaust wheels were before you tore it apart, you can rebuild without rebalancing, since you're using the same wheels.. If not, gotta rebalance.

The current Turbonetics ball-bearing cartridges use ceramic bearings, and can only be purchased as a cartridge itself. Keep with the standard bearing rebuild kit from Garrett on that model, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy.
Yes it was marked before it was removed.

Running into some trouble with finding a matching journal bearing... Seems like all the ebay ones are too small..

As shown in the picture the journal bearing is a .469 ID and a .671 OD. All of the eBay kits come with .394 ID and .622 OD journal bearings. Mine is massive compared to that, where in the world can I find the correct size journal bearing? Like I said earlier, the ball bearing is in fairly decent shape with MINIMAL play. The thrust plate looks like it will work, etc; same with all of the other parts..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-Turbo-Super-Deluxe-Turbocharger-Rebuild-Repair-Kit-360-Thrust-Bearing-/160703310079?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256aa9e8ff&vxp=mtr
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2013, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since you plan to stay with your shaft and housing, I would get the closest size bearing I could find and machine to the proper size for the journal bearing.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Call a Garrett or TURBONETICS dealer and leave eBay out of it. For that model none of those kits will match..
Old 04-16-2013, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Call a Garrett or TURBONETICS dealer and leave eBay out of it. For that model none of those kits will match..
Unfortunately, both Garrett and Tubonetics will give him zero support. I've already tried with both on my own turbo build. It was less convuluted than this one.

Maybe an outfit like Pure Turbo or Boostlabs could help.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will try calling Garrett and Turbonetics. Although I've heard the same useless support claims from a few different people on the web. I honestly can't find crap on this thing, I've been surfing the web for about two days now on this topic. I also wrote BoostLab and will write Pure Turbo.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay with it. Someone has to have those bearings.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Stay with it. Someone has to have those bearings.
Boost lab replied, they said they wouldn't sell me the bearing because they don't sell them to the public. What a load. No way I'm spending $380+ on a rebuild I can perform myself. I really don't want to buy a new CHRA.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the dimensions of the bearings.

Check with these guys
http://www.turbobearings.com/categor...all%20Bearings
Old 04-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are the dimensions of the bearings.

Check with these guys
http://www.turbobearings.com/categor...all%20Bearings
My bearing measurements were in the picture, but they are obviously not to spec considering the play was so bad. Boost labs say the ball bearings almost never go bad, so basically I just need the one damn journal bearing.. Turbobearings.com came up with relatively nothing sadly..

Bore ID: .469
OD: .671
Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THIS IS IRRITATING. I was depicting what my turbo was via the "turbo identification" thread on the Netics website and found my turbo is a T3 5-bolt (obviously) and has a TO4B compressor housing.

Also listed is a 2010 catalog with different turbos along the year, where then I found a picture of a ball bearing CHRA with a journal bearing towards the turbine and a ball towards the compressor! Calling netics tomorrow for sure to see what the heck I'm doing....

The red circle is clearly a journal bearing.

http://turboneticsinc.com/upload/TN_...ALOG_Final.pdf
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok this is my last post until parts arrive. This type of CHRA is considered a single bearing turbo, kinda the best of both worlds. Quick spool but the durability at the turbine end. I went and ordered an ebay kit just to get the seals, thrust bearing plate, etc. If those bearings miraculously fit I'll be set, otherwise it will be awhile if I can't find the bearing. Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, just somewhat dumping the information I've learned out there on HT for anybodies future needs.