Notices

Rebuild due to rod knock question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild due to rod knock question?

I have a forged internal GSR motor that unfortunately just slightly started knocking because I ran it low on oil... yeah I know I have the ra-tard for not checking it and finding the minor leak. The motor has just over 4k on it so it's pretty much new otherwise.

Since it has only 4k on it, can I just tear it down replace the crank with a good one and a line hone, put in all new bearings, and use the same piston/rings/rods if they are all in good shape and I don't touch the cylinder walls?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rebuild due to rod knock question?

Yes, I would toss in new piston rings. Have the walls looked at by your machinest to make sure there good to go. Also get a new oil pump. Don't resue the old one.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since it has only 4k on it, can I just tear it down replace the crank with a good one and a line hone, put in all new bearings, and use the same piston/rings/rods if they are all in good shape and I don't touch the cylinder walls?

I would not replace the rings....i had an issue several years ago when i first started this **** with a crank that got tweaked in a mis shift. I spun the #3 rod like 3 times....til i realized the crank had issues lol. Live and learn.

Replace all bearings, Have the crank and the rod that is knocking - or all of them checked for roundness....this is a must, put together and roll out. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the oil pump...you can check it for clearances to make sure. Oil pumps don't die from low oil pressure. Everyone will probably tell you too, but i've learned over the years of pissing away 1000's of $$$ on oil pumps everytime something would happen with my engine or a friends, that an oil pump is a very simple device that can and will be reused in my court of law.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm definitely ditching the crank without a doubt and will have my spare spec'd and micropolished. I will indeed also have the rods spec'd out as well. I'll also have the machine shop take a look at the walls to see if they need anything, but if not I see no reason to replace the rings since they'll go back into the same cylinders.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95B18BTurbo
I'm definitely ditching the crank without a doubt and will have my spare spec'd and micropolished. I will indeed also have the rods spec'd out as well. I'll also have the machine shop take a look at the walls to see if they need anything, but if not I see no reason to replace the rings since they'll go back into the same cylinders.
right on
Old 11-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not resuse the pump. Unless you know out to rebuild it. I willing to bet it has metal shavings in it. Take a look and inspect it. I have pics of rod knock and the oil pump that went with it.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pressure gauge is your friend. I have seen oil pumps suck in shavings, but it doesnt do anything because it cant suck in anything big enough because of the screen. Oh well, to each his own. I rebuild my own stuff so its my own risk i guess.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a spare ITR oil pump so I'll probably just use that as well. I'm just going to be super **** retentive on this as it's the first time I'll put something together from scratch instead of buying other random peoples stuff. lol
Old 11-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the rod isn't warped at all you should be able to reuse everything and be fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90blackcrx
As long as the rod isn't warped at all you should be able to reuse everything and be fine.
I definitely will have it check for sure. Thanks for the info guys.