Notices

Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon...

Ok, so. . .

First off, I am in the process of building and ls/vtec for boost. That being said, I have recently fabbed up a B18B torque mount to use a D series A/C compressor in my CRX. A/C is currently installed on a B18B that I have in my car. As I was looking in my engine bay today and thinking how the hell can I fit a turbo in there now(?), I realized that I wont be able to. Even with a sidewinder manifold and an Odyssey battery in the fender.

So...

I'm thinking rear mount turbo. I'll run a DC header I have laying around, reduce the outlet to about 2" depending on the research I find out later (it's going to be mid next year before this will be done). What I think is logical to do for this type of setup may be completely off, and I'm looking for some insight. It would be logical to reduce the exhaust all the way back to the turbo (which will be where the stock muffler would sit) to 2" or less (right?) and ceramic coat the entire length and heat wrap it to keep as much heat in the exhaust as possible. the smaller diameter exhaust would keep as much velocity in the flow as possible to keep the turbo lag to a minimum...right?

I know I'll have to get an oil pump for the return and go get a custom feed line made. that's not a problem. My main concern is the exhaust diameter, and my interpretation of the physics of this type of setup...

Please, feel free to throw some information or helpful links my way.

TIA!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (B16CRXT)

Bump for this idea.

Wish i could help you, turbos aren't my area.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (AnToNy)

top mount..with eg/ek half size radiator??
Old 10-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (k_motor)

Rear mounts are absolute garbage, you're looking at atleast 1000 RPM slower spool than with a comparable front mounted turbo. I'm sure you can find a front mount manifold that will let you keep AC, otherwise your car is going to drive like a dog.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (k_motor)

I've already got the EG hald size radiator. I looked at it, and thought about it. The only way I'm gonna have it up front is to do the "radiator under the radiator bracket" mod. That brace between the headlights. I've seen it done, but I forgot the name of the guy that did the writeup on here. Then, I'd be limited to a log manifold. The top mount would require me to ditch the A/C. That's not happening.

Still debating what turbo I should use. A 57 trim t3/t4 or a .48/.60 Garrett from a T-Bird...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i saw a rear mount on a chevy HHR on some gay *** TV show. I thaught it was the funniest and stupidest thing. I think its a dumb idea that will not make nearly as much power as a front setup. Ud be better off stickin the turbo out the hood.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (turnsignalandy)

I think you're right.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"blah blah blah blaH BLAH" Then, I'd be limited to a log manifold. The top mount would require me to ditch the A/C. That's not happening.

Still debating what turbo I should use. A 57 trim t3/t4 or a .48/.60 Garrett from a T-Bird...</TD></TR></TABLE>

so.... youre saying youd would only have top mount or rear mount, wont settle for log????
Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

yule, as in log
Old 10-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (agrn93ls)

no, I'm saying I can only have a log or rear mount. Top mount takes too much room. And the only way I can use a log manifold is by doing the hidden radiator mod.

plus, I think the idea of a rear mounted turbo honda, is pretty cool. I think if I did it, you guys woul dbe suprised at the powerband, but I havent done it or seen anything like it on a honda, so I have nothing to base that on.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess you'd run the charge pipes straight up to the IM?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, I'm saying I can only have a log or rear mount. Top mount takes too much room. And the only way I can use a log manifold is by doing the hidden radiator mod.

plus, I think the idea of a rear mounted turbo honda, is pretty cool. I think if I did it, you guys woul dbe suprised at the powerband, but I havent done it or seen anything like it on a honda, so I have nothing to base that on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Suprised at how absolutely shitty it is, yeah. I've seen T76's on 347" camaros that can't make more than 15 pounds of boost because rear mounts are pure garbage. A log front mounted is infinitely better than a hack-*** rear mount system.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (tokes1320)

this might be helpful. STS makes kits for chevys fords and even did one for an integra. (I hear they're developing one for the 350z as well) My cousin is a dealer as well and has one on his Z71 and its impressive. http://www.ststurbo.com/
Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 PM
ME LOVE U LONG TIME

i say do it, i want to see it done..... put the turbo in the trunk or something crazy and make a heat sheild for it, lol

Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tannerLSt)

lol, that would just completely ruin the look im goin for. lol, I'm gonna put the turbo about where the muffler sits if I do this...
Old 10-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon... (Bense)

Well, I was thinking a small fmic that I have sitting in my room to keep the charge icey.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: (B16CRXT)

everyone is saying its junk, but no one has tried it on these small displacement cars on HT. Someone has to take the risk to try it. If you're willing and able, I saw go for it. It might not be 100% comparable to a under hood mounted turbo, but, it might be more compariable to a supercharger? The only issue I see is where to route the charge line, there isn't much room without putting it right next to the exhaust, which would create a lot of heat in the charge pipe.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a b-series greddy kit doesnt clear maybe?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NastyHabitzCRX)

why wouldnt a sidewinder mani work? put the battery in the back and do that, or get a custom top mount if you cant stand a "crappy' log mani. if your gonna do a rear mount it behind the motor under the intake manifold. seen it done, straight into an air/water intercooler sitting right in front of the intake mani. or if your really gonna do a rear mount turbo the only way it will be cool is if you leave the stock airbox in the car and run the chargepipes thru that so when your looking in the engine bay you see no signs of anything turbo.

Marcus
Old 10-19-2006, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

Thats what I'm looking for. No one has done it so they all think its dumb. I'm gonna do it and I'll post the results.

The sidewinder wouldnt work, because it wont get past my coolant lines. they are completely in the way.

Trust me, I looked at every option before this and then I just thought of how different it would be.

I have a small fmic I think im going to incorporate into the setup. I was also thinking about doing the pipe routing up the intake arm. I'm going to have to go buy one though. I never had one in this car.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B16CRXT)

have you thought about your oil feed and drain?

You will need to buy two oil pumps also

This can be done but I think you would be better off taking the car to someone and having everything custom made. It is going to cost about the same either way you do it. You will also have better results with the custom manifold and downpipe than you will with the rear mount
Old 10-19-2006, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

yea, I'm making everything. I've got a MIG and a TIG at my disposal. I know I need an oil pump for the return line, but why would I need two?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moops vs moors)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by moops vs moors &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only thing I am unsure of is what the oil pressure is going to be by the time it reaches the turbo, but since it's a CRX the line won't be very long I guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is why I said he will need two oil pumps.... 1 for feed and 1 for drain.... There is going to more pressure drop than you think from the block to the back of the car

Old 10-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

lags not bad with a properly sized turbo....
http://videos.streetfire.net/v...4.htm
Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FUCATYPR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FUCATYPR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lags not bad with a properly sized turbo....
http://videos.streetfire.net/v...4.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats all great but here is the thing.... thats on a V8 not a 4 cly and they are still useing a small turbo on that camero....

I would like to see how it does on a Honda..... and your going to have to have a small turbo to have a decent spool and your going to find out that it wasnt worth all the money you spent to make the little bit of power you did.

But I say go for it and try something new....

Quick Reply: Rear Mount Turbo on my crx soon...