Notices

rear mount turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear mount turbo kit

is it logical to run one of these on a hatch? has it been done before and what are the pros/cons of doing so
Old 06-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: rear mount turbo kit

i would think that with a rear mount set up, you would have a lot of boost lag, the air would have to travel from the rear of the car to the engine bay, also you need to oil the turbo may want exturnal oil system, also that is a long way from the engine and a lot a pipe work under the car, your best bet is to go the normal way, under the hood!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by k20rex
i would think that with a rear mount set up, you would have a lot of boost lag, the air would have to travel from the rear of the car to the engine bay, also you need to oil the turbo may want exturnal oil system, also that is a long way from the engine and a lot a pipe work under the car, your best bet is to go the normal way, under the hood!
possibly....but what if i was already going the normal way and wanted to add this one?? LOL
Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k20rex
are you literally thinking of turbo mounted at the rear of the car. lol. i think what he's trying to say is he wants a turbo mounted at the rear of the engine, between the firewall and motor.

what are you trying to do tuck the turbo under the intake manifold. lol.

i think a rear mounted turbo would work for a k series since the exhaust manifold is already on the back side of the motor.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

www.ststurbo.com
Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shut me up. ha ha. i was being too conventional.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

watched em do it to a corvette on powerblock tv...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've dyno'd a the new school GTO with the 350 hp ls1 with a rear mount turbo kit and the car had less turbo lag than a stock STI the gto was making about 400 rwhp on about 5 lbs of boost i know five pounds doesn't sound like much but this is on a 5.7 liter V8 so thats is allot

and another thing no it didn't gain only 50hp it gained about 120 just the gto stock put down about 280 rwhp

in conclusion do i think the rear turbo mount setup works with no significant turbo lag?

the answer is yes it works great if anything it worked better than a conventional kit

by putting the turbo in the rear it freed up a lot of space in the engine bay

now for the problems you have to run the exhaust all the way back to the rear of the car and you have to make sure there aren't any leaks and then run the long charge pipe back to the intake now any good muffler guy can make this happen no sweat but this leads us into the major con about the setup

THIS IS WHAT MAKES THIS SETUP SUCK: now the turbo isn't protected in the engine bay all it will take and one good size peace of debris on the freeway or a good sized speed bump and you can kiss your turbo good by you can make a skid plate for the turbo but the debris can also hit the charge pipe and knock it loose

so all in all the kit is a good idea but not practical
Old 06-16-2009, 04:27 AM
something different

they are rather practical.....not ideal ,but they can work amazingly well. properly mounted/braced/protected, they are kinda cool.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Reject Papi

this would be interesting to see on an ef, or any car for that matter. there was an episode of "TRUCKS" last year where they did this on a ford lightning. it seemed to work very well for them too. the only thing i would be afraid of, would be beating the **** out of the turbo on speed bumps, or rocks. if you could find a place to mount that thing, maybe in the stock muffler location, i think you would be ok.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM

my car is jacked up a little more in the rear than most hatchies. so i dont think ill have thet problem, and yes i do also think a skid plate is a good idea, i was thinking about adding another one in front as well as having the one in back so i could say im twin LOL. run about 5 lbs on each n call it a day thats why i also made that other thread about the b to d adapter plate thread. so i could run rt awd d series with a b series tranny to hold the power
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only downside I see is running the turbo output pressure tube back to the front of the car and dealing with turbo oiling issues. For the cost of all that tubing and rigging for the oiling system, you could probably get close to the price of a decent conventional turbo manifold.

I think rear mount turbo setups are great when engine bay real estate is at a premium, but for the ef, it isnt really an issue so much unless you have AC or PS or something. even then there are normal turbo manifolds that are compatible.

Last edited by sanimalp; 06-16-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have any experience with turboing cars?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by sde780
me? why yes, a little bit but i know what needs to be done and what goes where. ive done some work to an 07 sti outfitting it with new parts etc.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sts rear mount turbo kit. i would think the corvette would have more power to turn the turbo at that distance, but a tiny 1.6 wont even blow air through the piping halfway.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by mitsubishiv5
sts rear mount turbo kit. i would think the corvette would have more power to turn the turbo at that distance, but a tiny 1.6 wont even blow air through the piping halfway.
thats why im going to think about running a normal turbo setup and then make this one fit on the back, so i guess i could say im twin turboed when i was done
Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never really heard anything about this type of setup until I read through this thread today. Coincidently I just picked up an Option2 magazine this evening and they have an Accord with a rear mounted turbo. If anyone would like, I can scan and post the picture of it.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do it.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Pirate General...YARRRR

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sh!ft
is it logical to run one of these on a hatch? has it been done before and what are the pros/cons of doing so
Logical? No. Cons a lot. Pros, saying I'm turbo at the circle jerk that is a honda meet.
possibly....but what if i was already going the normal way and wanted to add this one?? LOL
Christ, stop.
Originally Posted by 8dxhatchy8
watched em do it to a corvette on powerblock tv...
I once saw someone kill themselves, was that a good idea? Powerblock is nothing more then an adverstiment passed off as a car show hour.
my car is jacked up a little more in the rear than most hatchies. so i dont think ill have thet problem, and yes i do also think a skid plate is a good idea, i was thinking about adding another one in front as well as having the one in back so i could say im twin LOL. run about 5 lbs on each n call it a day thats why i also made that other thread about the b to d adapter plate thread. so i could run rt awd d series with a b series tranny to hold the power
You don't understand turbos at all.

Originally Posted by sde780
It's pretty easy to say no. None.
thats why im going to think about running a normal turbo setup and then make this one fit on the back, so i guess i could say im twin turboed when i was done
Buy a Renault.
Originally Posted by detuned
do it.
I don't know if the idea sending him on this wild goose chase amuses you as well or you really think this will happen.

There is so damn much misinformation in this thread.

STS = cheap/poor man's out for FI.
Being a former vette owner and current camaro owner (ls6 vette ls1 camaro) I understand tight work spaces, but, that's not it just like with a honda doing it right you lose AC and get a good mani. What STS offers is cheap crap, and a half assed idea for not a ton of money. With the prices of those cars coming down, it adds in the rift raft and people who don't know cars.

Boosted for 3k or less people jump on it as the good price to properly turbo charge let alone twin turbo an LSX motor is 5-10k.

Why am I on the LSX series on a honda forum, is because really it's the same issues. But worse. Us LSX guys have it worse, but we do make way more It's not cheap to turbo a honda the right way, it's not easy, nor is it give you a lot of room to work with.

So what happens? A company sees this gap a bunch of people that want boost dawg cooks up a half assed idea that kinda works and tada it sells darn well.

Think about how well a turbonator or what ever those air foils in your intake track would sell if you had a working blow off valve from it? It's really a poor setup, using a massive motor, and undersized (for the apps) turbine you never notice the lag.

I've driven STS cars and it's just not there, they always end up short vs cam only setups, and what real turbo setups do to them is just ugly.

I know this is a long post but summed up, do it right or don't do it. STS is just a **** poor option.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ***$nyper
I don't know if the idea sending him on this wild goose chase amuses you as well or you really think this will happen.
amusement. this idea is hilarious.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by ***$nyper
Logical? No. Cons a lot. Pros, saying I'm turbo at the circle jerk that is a honda meet.

Christ, stop.

I once saw someone kill themselves, was that a good idea? Powerblock is nothing more then an adverstiment passed off as a car show hour.
You don't understand turbos at all.

It's pretty easy to say no. None.

Buy a Renault.

There is so damn much misinformation in this thread.

STS = cheap/poor man's out for FI.
Being a former vette owner and current camaro owner (ls6 vette ls1 camaro) I understand tight work spaces, but, that's not it just like with a honda doing it right you lose AC and get a good mani. What STS offers is cheap crap, and a half assed idea for not a ton of money. With the prices of those cars coming down, it adds in the rift raft and people who don't know cars.

Boosted for 3k or less people jump on it as the good price to properly turbo charge let alone twin turbo an LSX motor is 5-10k.

Why am I on the LSX series on a honda forum, is because really it's the same issues. But worse. Us LSX guys have it worse, but we do make way more It's not cheap to turbo a honda the right way, it's not easy, nor is it give you a lot of room to work with.

So what happens? A company sees this gap a bunch of people that want boost dawg cooks up a half assed idea that kinda works and tada it sells darn well.

Think about how well a turbonator or what ever those air foils in your intake track would sell if you had a working blow off valve from it? It's really a poor setup, using a massive motor, and undersized (for the apps) turbine you never notice the lag.

I've driven STS cars and it's just not there, they always end up short vs cam only setups, and what real turbo setups do to them is just ugly.

I know this is a long post but summed up, do it right or don't do it. STS is just a **** poor option.
A. your an *** hole

B. i dont use sts ****.

C. if i want a snobbish individual to come in here and give me their 2 cents on how it is supposed to be then id ask you to do so, not just hope some one gripes at me for a thought they thinks stupid when infact others may think its actually cool

D. I DONT EVEN GO TO CAR MEETS. what do you think im stupid? i dont want my **** getting jacked again.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what if somoene sawzalls it off in the middle of the night?? lol
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh! but better then them taking the whole car