Notices

Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Obie

Default Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months?

I got a custom kit from my friend down at IB (well IB's not there no more but I got it a while back) anyways its a custom kit (turbonetics t3/t4, tial wg, rh manif, turbo xs rfl bov, spearco ic (the big one) rc injectors, custom piping etc etc.) well anyways I dont have enough for hondata becasue it takes me a good while to save up money so is it real safe to run the vortech fmu for about two months. Because im real scared driving the car because I blew my motor using the damn VENOM kit the solenoid stayed open and booooom anyways I got a whole new block paid cash from honda and im not gonna mess this one up fast . So guys give me some good advice please.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:10 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months? (play)

You need an inline pump to boost safely along with the fmu and the stuff you have already. An intank pump won't work it has to be an inline pump..

Adi
Old 08-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months? (newgsr)

y won't a intank one work??
Old 08-13-2003, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months? (u2civic1)

Running an FMU you'll see ~120psi + fuel pressure

a single pump cannot deliver enough volume at this pressure to feed th engine.

Going FMU, get an inline pump....

Jeffrey Atwood
Old 08-13-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months? (Jefnes)

Im not a fan of inline pumps, why hack into fuel system when you don't have to. It's just one more thing taking up space in the engine bay. I don't think the issue here is inline vs. intank, but more what cc are those injectors. For low boost stock injectors are fine. If anything if you have big injectors and a fmu, your asking for troublke due to high fuel pressure.

what cc are your injectors?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:09 PM

inlines stink, and they are loud and annoying, an intank with 440's and a vac works great.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:33 PM

Default Re: (nigel)

ok if your running a fmu, will you need a intake fuel pump or a inline??? im confused here id like to know this myself
Old 08-13-2003, 04:06 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (tegrakid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegrakid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok if your running a fmu, will you need a intake fuel pump or a inline??? im confused here id like to know this myself</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said before for that setup you need an inline pump to have enogh fuel coming in once you start boosting.

As far as the other guy, if you do use the upgraded rc injectors that you have you have nothing to control them with so just get a inline pump wich is around $80-90.
Heck you can usually get all the money you put in it out of it..

Adi
Old 08-13-2003, 04:24 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months? (quikB18B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quikB18B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I don't think the issue here is inline vs. intank, but more what cc are those injectors. For low boost stock injectors are fine. If anything if you have big injectors and a fmu, your asking for troublke due to high fuel pressure.

what cc are your injectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you have it wackbards. The larger your injectors are- the lower your peak fuel pressure will need to be. This is of course assuming all other variables, including your a/f ratio, are equal.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Is it real dangerous to run the vortech fmu for about 2 months? (play)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by play &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a custom kit from my friend down at IB (well IB's not there no more but I got it a while back) anyways its a custom kit (turbonetics t3/t4, tial wg, rh manif, turbo xs rfl bov, spearco ic (the big one) rc injectors, custom piping etc etc.) well anyways I dont have enough for hondata becasue it takes me a good while to save up money so is it real safe to run the vortech fmu for about two months. Because im real scared driving the car because I blew my motor using the damn VENOM kit the solenoid stayed open and booooom anyways I got a whole new block paid cash from honda and im not gonna mess this one up fast . So guys give me some good advice please.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it is perfectly safe. Especially for only a few months.

Key things you MUST remember if you plan on running the Vortech 12:1 FMU with stock injectors.

1. Get an inline fuel pump.
•The stock intank pump(or upgraded intank pump) will not be sufficient to provide the 120 psi of fuel pressure required.
2. Keep boost levels conservative.
•If you plan on running stock injectors, keep boost at 6.5 to 7. With the 12:1 disc you will already be running on the extreme lean side. Any more boost will send you over the top.

Your motor will thank you for being so patient. Trust me.
I was running 7.5 psi on my old set up with the 12:1 FMU & stock injectors. Lasted about 8 months without a single problem, and I was beating it up in the canyons every other day.
One day took it to the track at Bakersfield, decided 9 psi wouldn't hurt. All it took was a hot day and 3 passes, before I started experiencing horrid blowby. Bye bye ringlands.

In the mean time save up for hondata or something, with larger injectors & an intank pump. Then you can always sell the FMU & inline pump afterwards.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:52 PM

good advice..That is definetly the way to go, if you have the patience to save, get hondata,bigger injectors,intank pump and your best friend-"Tuning" that's key
Old 08-13-2003, 06:52 PM
ek9vboi

hum... i got vortec fmu with the inline, so i wont need it once i get my hondata and 450cc injectors. is that what your telling me?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: (ek9vboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9vboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hum... i got vortec fmu with the inline, so i wont need it once i get my hondata and 450cc injectors. is that what your telling me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

obviously, yes.