Notices

Random issue of starting/dying...fuel related maybe??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random issue of starting/dying...fuel related maybe??

I recorded a video of the car doing the issue I am having. This is a cold start, car has been sitting for two days. This time it stumbled and on the second crank as I gave it gas and it smoothed its self out and stayed on. (Giving it gas doesn't always guarantee making it stay on but sometimes does help)

The other day I went to the grocery store and when it died, it took 20+ cranks to get it to stay on, I thought I was going to kill the battery but once it stayed on, it got me home.

Other times it would die when I'm sitting at the red light, sometimes it would die when I'm cruising.

Honestly, it dies when I'm NOT under load...either coasting or idling

and again usually it takes anywhere from 5-whatever amount of tries to turn back on but it always does turn back on

USUALLY, when it DOES turn on and stay on,there is a huge cloud of smoke from the exhaust,super light..almost misty and it smells like gas...STRONG unburnt gas. I'm assuming this is because it's flooded after all the times that I've cranked it over to turn it on.

Also, notice the wideband as the car does finally stay on, it was hella lean and after a few seconds it does get richer.

This is what got me thinking it's a fuel related issue, like the car is cutting fuel. Like either the fuel map for starting is too lean or the fuel doesn't come on soon enough (which would explain why this issue happens on cold starts, but i'm not sure why it would die randomly)

Opinions?

Old 01-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Random issue of starting/dying...fuel related maybe??

Any codes? Cyp sensor maybe.. Will cause your exact issue.. Try a known good distributor if so
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Swaggylicious

No codes
Old 01-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check battery health. With this cold weather lately any battery that was in questionable shadow mm shape will for quickly. If the battery had a bad cell or the alternator is outputting the proper voltage/amperage it could be causing a fuel flow and pressure drop across the rpm range, getting worse when in positivepressure .

Do you have a way to monitor/datalog charging system voltage/amperage and fuel pressure? Also use a multimeter and measure voltage at the battery and at the alternator with the engine idling. If the alternator, battery, ground wires, and positive wires are all in good condition and show the same voltage then it could be a fuel issue or ecu problem.

Either the pump is failing, the filter is clogged, or there's an issue with the fuel pump relay and wiring. What pump are you using? How old is it? Etc.

Again measure the voltage at the terminals on the pump and compare that to the battery and alternator values.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:59 AM
Swaggylicious

Battery is 2 months old, replaced fuel filter with an oem one like 4 months .

Unfortunately I dont have datalogging capabilities. I have a fuel pressure gauge on the filter but that's it

I'm using a walbro 255, it's been on there for 3+/- years now

I really need a step-by-step on how to use a multimeter and get readings. I have the free one from HF but I have not a damn clue how to use it or even what mode to put it in

it's so weird and sporadic, now that I think about it sometimes when I'm cruising on the highway the car would have a hiccup for like half a second like something's being cut off (fuel or spark idk) but it's fine after
Old 01-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Swaggylicious

Went to the junkyard and picked up a few main relays.

Swapped it and drove around the block a few times.

It stumbled as I was driving, weird as hell. The car bucked a few times like it wants to die, never did though. I gave it gas while it was bucking, zero effect, pressing the gas didnt do anything. This lasted maybe 5-8 seconds, like i said the car never fully died, hell it was still rolling and i went on my merry way...weird

Kept driving around the block for maybe 15 minutes and it didnt do it again

Got home popped the hood and tried to look for anything unusual. This was the only thing i saw

The jumper connector from cyl 4 (closest to dizzy) injector was barely making contact, i shook it alittle and it was affecting idle, took off the jumper and plugged the injector directly

Wonder if this has anything to do with my issues
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that could cause all of your issues
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 AM
Swaggylicious

ever since I've taken that out the car's been running great lol...like the best it's been in a WHILE

DAMN YOU JUMPER CONNECTOR!!!!