Notices

Random blown headgasket?? scratching my head. any idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random blown headgasket?? scratching my head. any idea's?

set up is LS/Vtec...done hundreds of these with no problems, and done more headgaskets than i could ever count and never once have i ever had a blown headgasket.

car has made tons of 10 second pass's and never had any problems, i did up the power a little bit.....and ran on low boost all night at the track with no problems. track was un-prepped and spinning like crazy is why i was on low boost all night.

last pass of the night i was curious just to try out high boost (not that high, only 24-25 psi) car obviously spun its *** off. track seemed to be barely prepped first 60 foot or so and then nothing after that. on this last pass of the night.....spun but semi hooked first and second gear....tried to hook in 3rd and violently broke the tires loose in 3rd gear and shot straight to rev limiter (rev limiter cuts spark only, not fuel) anyways i backed off the throttle and got back into it....everything seemed fine. parked in the pits and the car was still idleing picture perfect, and temp was normal.

after ever pass i check over everything and the car was very low on water (odd) started filling the radiator and it kept taking water and taking water and taking water.......i knew something wasnt right..pulled the plugs and they were soaked with water.

pulled the head a few min. ago and everything looks great minus a split in the gasket between on cylinder 2... that goes into one of the water passages. ARP head studs were torqued to reccamended torque value.

changing the headgasket is a no brainer and simple....im just curious as to what could have caused this? car is tuned with very minimal timing and running in the low 11:1 range on 116 octane. more or less im trailoring the car 4 hours to a race this weekend and dont want the same thing to happen all over again. its been fine for a long time is what makes it even weirder. any idea's or sugestions on this one? im confused as hell.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Random blown headgasket?? scratching my head. any idea's? (Turbo-charged)

nevermind.......closer inspection shows machine shop error. awesome.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Random blown headgasket?? scratching my head. any idea's? (Turbo-charged)

dropped sleeve?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Random blown headgasket?? scratching my head. any idea's? (FredoSP)

nah.....problem's in the cylinder head. going to swing it by the machine shop in the morning to see if its repairable. if not i'll have to somehow find a new B16 head to throw on it before the weekend.

on a good note...pistons look better than i ever could have imagined.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Props on figuring out what was wrong . PM sent.

Phil