Notices

ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help?????

i have a b16 si turbo with an msd sci & ex. coil, it ran fine for a few runs and it just died, i tested the plugs and there fine, but im getting no spark. i disconnected the msd and installed my stock ignition and it still just cranks, cranks and cranks.
i need some help??????
Old 10-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Dollar_bill

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (1baddcivicsi)

you might have a bad igniter, hope this helps.good luck
Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (Dollar_bill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dollar_bill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you might have a bad igniter, hope this helps.good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

If he is running a MSD box and an external coil then the igniter would matter.... because the box and coil take over the igniters job

The blaster SS coils are junk. I have personally had 5 of them go bad on me with in a couple of weeks so I upgraded to the Digital 7 and HVCII coil and haven’t had a problem sense.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (Dollar_bill)

so what do i need 2 do???
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (BoostedEG6)

but i installed the stock in. coil and it still doesnt start
Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (1baddcivicsi)

ok so you disconnected the external coil and box, wired the igniter back up and made sure everything was in the correct location and all the distributor wires where connected?

Have you tried any other distributors?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (BoostedEG6)

stock distributor, wires are correct, and 1 degree cooler ngk plugs have been installed
Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also checked my ign. coil fuse and that is good to
Old 10-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If he is running a MSD box and an external coil then the igniter would matter.... because the box and coil take over the igniters job
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You bypass the ignitor when you use a msd?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (DRAGLS)

yes, i had my msd running fine, then i turbo'd it, and ran good for a few tunes, then it just died while we were getting on it. but the msd worked great before. i installed the stock internal coil and it still doesnt start.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you bypass the ignitor? I have a msd installed on my integra and I didn't see anywhere on the manual saying how to bypass it. So mine is still hooked up.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (DRAGLS)

i believe by taking out the stock in. coil, installing the + and - wires to the msd, is that what u are getting at???
Old 10-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1baddcivicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i believe by taking out the stock in. coil, installing the + and - wires to the msd, is that what u are getting at???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not bypassing the ignitor.

btw- try a different ignitor that is most likely your problem.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes when you install the external coil you take the + and - wires to the external coil that bypass' the igniter
Old 10-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes when you install the external coil you take the + and - wires to the external coil that bypass' the igniter</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your kidding right?

I gotta ask, do you even know what&where the ignitor is?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i thought that the igniter, was the in. coil??? i dunno, now that u told me what it was, how do i bypass the ingiter??
Old 10-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A standalone system will let you bypass it.$$$$

No, the ignitor is the little box at the bottom with 4 wires hooked up to it.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an AEM EMS, that is what you were talking about
Old 10-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have the aem ems get the cdi unit and run cop set up.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have not come acrossed that on my ems but im sure i can find it.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DRAGLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your kidding right?

I gotta ask, do you even know what&where the ignitor is?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes I know what it is..... I had a brain fart .. bear with me its 2am here in baghdad
Old 10-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes I know what it is..... I had a brain fart .. bear with me its 2am here in baghdad
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry dude

My brother just came back from there a week ago.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd be willing to bet that its my igniter thats bad, becuase my msd and my stock ignition are both not firing. but i think the aem is a couple hundred $
Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

most likely the ignitior. i had a car do that same thing while tuning. replacing the ignitor, the car started right up
Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help????? (boosted k20)

u know how much $ the igniter costs??

Quick Reply: ran my si with msd it ran fine for a few and now i have no spark, help?????