Notices

quick spooling h22 turbo?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick spooling h22 turbo?

I have a turbo prelude with a 62-1 journal bearing and it seems to have a ton of turbo lag it was tuned at 8 psi 320hp engine is built with low compression pistons but I am thinking about using my euro r engine instead, I am looking to upgrade the turbo and make about 400hp, turbo lag is my biggest concern next to reliability, looking to spend up to 1200 for a ball bearing turbo with minimal lag any suggestion of brand and model turbo?
Old 01-20-2017, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: quick spooling h22 turbo?

STC Hunter, 100 over your budget iirc but is well worth it considering it's one of best you can get at that power level, and leaves some room to grow.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks
Old 01-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a bb hunter turbo on a stock JDM gsr with a mini ram manifold and it's by far the most responsive setup I've owned. It's almost hard to not hit at least a couple pounds just driving normally. Makes for a fun street car that's for sure. I'm currently on 12psi at about 370whp according to my weight and trap speed (no dyno I street tuned it). Another benefit of this turbo is you don't get a "light switch" power band like you do with a big turbo that just blows the tires off once it finally spools up, instead it comes on smoother and is more manageable for traction. Of course how it's tuned will also affect this. If you have the money the bb hunter is a great choice. It's also available in jb for cheaper.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree Hunter is a great option. It won't actually leave room to grow however it will be maxed at 400 on pump.

​​​​not sure you could consider a journal bearing its more important to size the turbocharger appropriately then bearing selection.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the cost difference really worth ball bearing? also is a billet wheel a big difference?
Old 01-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by customs-25
is the cost difference really worth ball bearing? also is a billet wheel a big difference?
Billet wheels are nice but not necessary, ball bearings give you more transient throttle response than they give you faster spool (iirc) Only should expect a couple hundred rpms lost in spool if you choose journal instead of ball bearing. Both are great options.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2
billet wheels also "should" spool a small amount quicker since they are typically lighter then a cast wheel. If you got money to burn billet wheels and ball bearings are both "better" designs. For the average user I dont think either one is necessary. Again properly matching wheel sizes is going to be the most dramatic effect.

STC hunter on a 2.2L should spool pretty damn quick even on a journal bearing version so that should work just fine for your goals. Of course theres other turbos to choose from but the Hunter seems to fit quite well for what you are looking for.
the Go autoworks Turbonetics 5454 is also quite nice for your goals and that uses a billet wheel. Ultimately I think I would prefer to have a garret Turbo tho

Remember if you do decide to go ball bearing you will need to run water colling which will easily add $150 to the cost for the extra hardware, but if set up properly it should also last longer then a journal bearing turbo.
Hunter ball bearing is $1325 + water line kit
hunter jounal ($825) is about the same cost as the turbonetics 5454 ($860)

Last edited by 2kdrift; 01-21-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help guys, ill probably go with a journal bearing hunter, also does anyone know what brand this manifold is?
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
x2
billet wheels also "should" spool a small amount quicker since they are typically lighter then a cast wheel. If you got money to burn billet wheels and ball bearings are both "better" designs. For the average user I dont think either one is necessary. Again properly matching wheel sizes is going to be the most dramatic effect.

STC hunter on a 2.2L should spool pretty damn quick even on a journal bearing version so that should work just fine for your goals
As far as I understood it, billet wheels actually slow spool and instead offer better top end because of less resistance due to a lower weight. Similar to how lightweight flywheels can slightly lessen low-end torque as well. From the h22 dynos I've seen, the hunter in journal bearing form should offer a pretty ridiculous torque curve, the difference in displacement from a b series seems to make a huge difference.

While I agree that the journal bearing won't last as long, it's pretty relative considering even journals are built to last hundreds of thousands of miles.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I wish I had a 2.2 lol. Hunter should work very well in either JB or BB

interesting lets all put 5lb wheels in for super fast spool
LMAO just messing with you. the effect of a heavier flywheel is a bit different i think as that increases engine load, same reason you will get faster spool in higher gears. ie 4th spools faster then second

Last edited by 2kdrift; 01-21-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The reason why billet wheels are so popular for more power is not because of the fact that they are lighter, or because they are just more durable on average than an inconel counterpart. Due to advances in manufacturing technology and availability of resources that can make billet compressor wheels, many turbocharger companies that specialize in the aftermarket now have the ability to change the aerodynamic design of the compressor wheels in a way that makes them more unique for the characteristics that they want to have.

See, all of Borg-Warner and Garrett's compressor wheels and turbine packages have to go through OEM standards including rotational, durability,"burst" testing in order to be sold to the public, because for every aftermarket wheel they manufacture, they sell 10 times the number of that wheel type to the OEM, with the exception of a few sizes. The Billet wheels that are made for most companies that offer them, with the exception of a few, do not have to go through such standards in order to be introduced into the public, because their intention is for "off-road use only". This gives flexibility to the turbocharger company so that they can create designs that will maximize their purpose. (i.e. midrange power, top end power, low-end torque, etc.). this is why on average, they are more expensive then the standard ones; you're basically paying for the research and development it took for these companies to make custom designs. if you notice, however, the turbine wheels are still made of the standard materials from the last 10 years or so, because very few materials can withstand the demands that the turbine wheel and shaft experience.

The Garrett engineers were correct when they said that there is no power difference between a billet wheel and one that is made of traditional inconel aluminum. The difference is that on average the billet wheel has increased durability and gives the ability for the manufacturer to make changes in aerodynamic design of the compressor wheel blades. Better Aerodynamics = more power (on average)

This is why you will never see "compressor maps" for any of the billet series. Because there aren't any, unless they put the cartridge up to a turbine dynamometer for testing. Most companies, including the ones that I've made, will never divulge those to the public. So there is no point in asking for them or searching for them online.

Hope that helps a bit
Old 01-22-2017, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

^ listen to Shodan, biggest turbo nerd ive ever talk too. He knows his stuff