Notices

!!!!!!!!!quick question for people with water and oil cooled turbos.!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!!!!!!quick question for people with water and oil cooled turbos.!!!!!!!!!

I just recently decided to go turbo on my d15b vtec and its a td05h 14b turbo, hf, manifold, 450cc injectors... basically a junkyard kit. My question is this turbo is watercooled and oilcooled so should i hook up the water lines for coolant to flow through the turbo or will it cause my motor to run hot due to it sharing the coolant with the turbo. Im new to this so try not to bash me if you think this is a stupid question. Also will a stock 92-5 civic radiator be ok for this turbo kit because my car runs cool and below the middle all the time now. Ill only be running 4-6 psi daily driven.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:16 AM

I pluged the holes on my turbo with bolts and been rockin it for 2+ years with no issues. Didnt have time to fab up coolant lines + didnt need em anyway, long as I have oil.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: !!!!!!!!!quick question for people with water and oil cooled turbos.!!!!!!!!! (slotec)

i do have the coolant lines hooked up
and NO
the engine doesnt run any hotter with it
as a matter of fact, i feel more confident when i floor it alot since it controls the ehat on the turbo
Old 05-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!quick question for people with water and oil cooled turbos.!!!!!!!!! (USDM 4G VTEC)

got another question, a friend of mine told me if i use 450cc then the ecu might not be able to handle all the fuel and jus turn off. is this true because i have a afc ahck so i could easily decrease the fuel.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!quick question for people with water and oil cooled turbos.!!!!!!!!! (slotec)

This may sound obvious but oh well,
Hooking up the coolant lines to your turbo will not make you overheat, but it will raise the temperature of the coolant fluid, increasing the life of your turbos chra but lowering the efficiency of the cooling system that the engineers had in mind for your application.

This is negligible alone, but when you couple it with a half sized radiator and the increased thermal power load the turbocharger supplies to the engine I would rather leave the turbos coolant line alone. To answer your second q, I use a 92-95 radiator like you have selected and never overheat but will get very close on hot race days....but theres too many variables to say this will be the exact case for everyone.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my coolant lines spliced into the throttle body. I also switched to a Spoon radiator cap to try and keep temps in control, temps are same as when it was stock. I say you should hook it up.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!!!!!!!quick question for people with water and oil cooled turbos.!!!!!!!!! (turboteg2nv)

thanks ill hook them up and i hear its better to run straight water in the summer or like 25% coolant and 75% water