Notices

Quick question about best ECU for Boost on a Type R

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question about best ECU for Boost on a Type R

I'm thinking I want to convert from obd2-obd1 and run a p28 ecu. Anyone running boost on an R. Whats your setup and how is your hondata configured.

Thanks

Lee
Old 06-20-2003, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Quick question about best ECU for Boost on a Type R (FOrSfEd)

unless you already have the stuff it would make more sense to me to buy a aem ems.. you wont need to buy a p28 which is about $100 you wont need to buy a converter which is about $250 and it just plugs in.. it will be close to the same price
Old 06-20-2003, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quick question about best ECU for Boost on a Type R (Phoenix GSR)

Just buy an IntegraLink ECU by Link Engine Management - utilizes same ECU socket, so you don't need to rewire anything, and uses stock sensors. Also has its own 3bar map sensor built into the ECU for boosted conditions. Functions comparable to that of a Haltech/Motec ECU, but for a fraction of the price. Tunable via laptop or keypad (looks similar to that of an Apeci PowerFC commander) and is cheaper than AEM and Hondata. Don't need to be a genious to tune it either Its what i'm running in my teg, and i'm very happy with it Fuel and ignition timing, boost, adjustable vtec regions, full throttle shift, launch control, ALS, etc.. Link is already famous in the Mazda Miata world, that's how they started out

For a list of Link ECU distributors in the US, go here:
http://www.link-electro-usa.com/distributors.html
Old 06-20-2003, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the reply's guys. Keep them coming.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the thing i like with the hondata over EMS is EMS is generic in my eyes, i mean as far as Hondata is only made for hondas and are specialized, i dunno not liek it means much , but it means something to me .
Old 06-20-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick question about best ECU for Boost on a Type R (turbopanda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbopanda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just buy an IntegraLink ECU by Link Engine Management - utilizes same ECU socket, so you don't need to rewire anything, and uses stock sensors. Also has its own 3bar map sensor built into the ECU for boosted conditions. Functions comparable to that of a Haltech/Motec ECU, but for a fraction of the price. Tunable via laptop or keypad (looks similar to that of an Apeci PowerFC commander) and is cheaper than AEM and Hondata. Don't need to be a genious to tune it either Its what i'm running in my teg, and i'm very happy with it Fuel and ignition timing, boost, adjustable vtec regions, full throttle shift, launch control, ALS, etc.. Link is already famous in the Mazda Miata world, that's how they started out

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looking at US pricing and its about the same as the AEM EMS except more people are using the AEM from what I have seen.....more people to cross reference tuning problems with and find answers from......but looks like a nice standalone with plenty of add ons available
Old 06-20-2003, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Quick question about best ECU for Boost on a Type R (turbopanda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbopanda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just buy an IntegraLink ECU by Link Engine Management - utilizes same ECU socket, so you don't need to rewire anything, and uses stock sensors. Also has its own 3bar map sensor built into the ECU for boosted conditions. Functions comparable to that of a Haltech/Motec ECU, but for a fraction of the price. Tunable via laptop or keypad (looks similar to that of an Apeci PowerFC commander) and is cheaper than AEM and Hondata. Don't need to be a genious to tune it either Its what i'm running in my teg, and i'm very happy with it Fuel and ignition timing, boost, adjustable vtec regions, full throttle shift, launch control, ALS, etc.. Link is already famous in the Mazda Miata world, that's how they started out

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's good and fine and all, but good luck finding a tuner in America. That's the big problem, and that's why i'd go for the EMS or hondata over it.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Quick question about best ECU for Boost on a Type R (boosted92)

I'd go with the hondata. The link isn't considered a good ecu choice in the miata world and i've worked with them before. It doesn't compare to hondata, not even close. The ems looks great on paper, but they have too many bugs and just plain don't work well. Look at the numbers everyone makes on hondatas and how few problems there are. Now look at all the problems there are with the ems. After that, the desicion seems simple
Old 06-21-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I love my Hondata..it's reliable, easy to use, and I even passed emissions tests with it better than on stock stuff.

Also you can start out with a basic system for fairly cheap and have it tuned by a dealer. Then if you want other options or the ability to tune yoursef, you can always upgrade later on.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

power fc