Notices

questions re: slicks and camber

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions re: slicks and camber

this is related to FI because of the high mph trap speeds associated with turbocharged cars.

i was told that i would have to raise my ride height about 2-3" because the slicks would inflate 2-3" after completing the run at the track especially if my trap speed is high.

so, here's the situation and the question. i have a set of ingalls camber kit set to about -.25 degrees to -1.00 degree up front and they are closer to zero in the rear. so, if i raise the ride height 2-3" at the track wouldn't that give me less of a contact patch since the camber is already preset?

any help would be appreciated.

thanks in adv
Old 02-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions re: slicks and camber (boostedeg6)

I can theorize but have never really looked into it, it might be okay to have negative camber as with the greatly decreased tire pressure you still maintain a large tire footprint, and when you hit some MPH that would effectively raise the car to offset that effect.???????maybe?????

wasted my 800th post on a guess, sorry.....wait for someone who knows to answer

[Modified by rtype11, 4:24 PM 2/14/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so basicly your camber is set the way u want it! if U raise the car and your camber right now is more on the negative side. it is possible that 3inches will put u on the +side camber. u want a flat contact patch. it all depends on what suspention U have. I have slicks that are 8x13x22. I have skunk2 coilovers. when I drop it all the way the camber is super-. I raise it 2 inches and it evens out. also if u drop it too low with a flat contact patch its posible that the torque from the car being turbo can make the car dip in the front which means your fenders are gonna need bodywork. hope this helps out. basic track time with slicks and suspention tinkering will get U the best contact. having a camber kit is definatly a good suspention tool...
Old 02-14-2002, 12:52 PM
New User

well, if you think about it, whats the number one problem on FWD launches? Weight transfer. I think you'd actually want zero camber with the front end unloaded. I can't imagine it makes a huge amount of difference, being that the slicks are usually deflated so much. But theoritically, I think that's what you'd want.

However, you do want to raise your car a bit. The reason being is not the launch, but after the run. When you slam on the brakes after the run, you don't want the fenders to contact those expensive slicks. Hence the reasoning on raising the car.

[Modified by VaporTrail, 4:54 PM 2/14/2002]
Old 02-14-2002, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: questions re: slicks and camber (VaporTrail)

i am having a problem with this as well.i have 24" m&h slicks and have to raise the car to give enough clearence under braking.the problem is that i also have a camber kit when you raise the car you get positive camber as well as toe in.when you install a camber correction kit you have to have an alignment to correct for toe out.i thought i would get some skunk2 a-arms so i could adjust camber at the track.the only problem then is that the toe will still be off.i guess the only coorect thing to do is put it back at stock highth and get an alignment,but that won't look worth a crap.also,i agree that you should have the camber somewhat negative so it will zero out during launch.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: questions re: slicks and camber (turbotypeR)

i am having a problem with this as well.i have 24" m&h slicks and have to raise the car to give enough clearence under braking.the problem is that i also have a camber kit when you raise the car you get positive camber as well as toe in.when you install a camber correction kit you have to have an alignment to correct for toe out.i thought i would get some skunk2 a-arms so i could adjust camber at the track.the only problem then is that the toe will still be off.i guess the only coorect thing to do is put it back at stock highth and get an alignment,but that won't look worth a crap.also,i agree that you should have the camber somewhat negative so it will zero out during launch.
exactly. the only logical thing to do is to align it at stock height for the track and leave it as that on the streets. but, that would look funky as hell. that is why i'm stuck with this dilemma.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is the only solution i have come up with as well.i don't know what to do.