Notices

Questions bout boostin a b18a1...parts etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions bout boostin a b18a1...parts etc.

So during this year I am slowly gonna rebuild/build my LS motor for boost. Im use to workin with h22's and got tired of them so Im gonna boost a LS motor for ***** and giggles cuz Im tired of the swapping of motors and fully building them for boost. Got old.....

Lookin for at LEAST 300 whp with the option of crankin boost and layin down 400+whp on a safe tune.

Anyway...questions would be:

What are some good combo's on pistons, rods etc?
Does the block need to be Sleeved or a ring guard installed?

Im gonna go with forged pistons and gonna prob bore .020 over....

Reason for the rebuild/build is cuz the motor has 250k on it and leaks oil....lol still runs strong but still wanna build for boost.

Head is gonna be built too along with some cams but havent gotten to that part yet....

Anyone able to help me out or give me any input on what you think is a good set up?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Questions bout boostin a b18a1...parts etc.

Originally Posted by SLPN H
What are some good combo's on pistons, rods etc?
Does the block need to be Sleeved or a ring guard installed?

I'm willing to guess you were boxed into the narrow world of H22's to ever find out that a closed deck block, or a block guard, isn't needed. Nor did you cross the aisle to see all the stock-block B's making 400+ whp.

To answer your actual questions, for 500whp, you can't go wrong with eagle rods, nor any forged piston. Wiseco and CP seem to be the 2 most common. You should really sleeve the block if you're pushing 400+ daily, but people have managed over 500whp with stock sleeves. Block guards function as well as ricer wings and LED windshield sprayers. Too much cylinder pressure (from timing & boost) can crack a stock B sleeve with or without a guard.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questions bout boostin a b18a1...parts etc.

Originally Posted by HiProfile
I'm willing to guess you were boxed into the narrow world of H22's to ever find out that a closed deck block, or a block guard, isn't needed. Nor did you cross the aisle to see all the stock-block B's making 400+ whp.
No I wasnt really boxed in to that motor. I already had a h22a motor and tranny chillin in my garage and I decided to swap it into my 92 hatch...once I did that...I went to build it for boost and went all out. Darton sleeve, forged LC pistons, .020 over, built head, titanium valve train, etc....
Got tired of it by the time the build was done and all the money was dumped into it so I never boosted it. Sold it to some ricer and told them that its built for boost and without boost it really aint gonna do **** and told him not to really go out and race it....idiot didnt listen and ended up blowin out the rings and spinnin and bearing.

Originally Posted by HiProfile
To answer your actual questions, for 500whp, you can't go wrong with eagle rods, nor any forged piston. Wiseco and CP seem to be the 2 most common. You should really sleeve the block if you're pushing 400+ daily, but people have managed over 500whp with stock sleeves. Block guards function as well as ricer wings and LED windshield sprayers. Too much cylinder pressure (from timing & boost) can crack a stock B sleeve with or without a guard.
I was thinkin Eagle Rods with Wiseco Pistons, Darton Sleeve, .020 over with it bein honed and etc...Supertech valvetrain (havent had a problem with them) and dont really know which cams yet.