Notices

Questions about a Turbo for my R...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 11:46 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about a Turbo for my R...

I am interested in getting a turbo for my R.. I have looked into the Drag III kit, but am open to suggestions for other kits... Also, what other mods would i need to do to my R before installing the turbo, like pistons, etc...?

Thanx in advance,

Chris
Old 08-15-2001, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a Turbo for my R... (PYTypeR408)

depends what you want out of the car.. and how much power you want.. if you want to boost anything over 7-8lbs it will cost a grip.. to me anything over 3K is a grip.. thats a kit alone.. to do say 8+lbs safe.. from what i have research you will need a reliable turbo kit.. most likely if you order drag change a few items.. get better wastegate, get injectors, little things here and there..

I was thinking about going turbo myself and i sorta gave up on it just because it would cost way too much and i cant afford it so for now that thought is on "hold"

Here is a little cost breakdown, say you decide to go with a drag kit:

Kit 3.5K+ with diff wastegate, injectors
Exhaust $300 made at local muffler shop.. (might as well get the 3" downpipe made while you at it.. with some good flowing muffler
Electronics 2-3 gagues, turbo timer, vtec controller, pod $700 more or less..
New clutch 450 installed
Fuel management.. here you can spend between 1K-3K.. depending how much money you got.. you can go with hondata which goes for like 700 but you'll need a jumper and a new ECU to do it so i think it will come to a price of power fc.. or in that neighborhood..
All this above is 6500 or so.. with no install.. to put this all is about 400 i think maybe more, remember all gauges need to be hooked up too.. this is also no tuning involved.. and all on stock bottom end.. now if you want that built.. get ready to spend another 2-3 easy..

if you are really interested in doing this i would first calculate my cost if i were you.. and see how much exactly you are going to need for this.. so that you dont end up being short on extra things needed here and there.. HTH
Old 08-15-2001, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about a Turbo for my R... (hybrid_eg)

Get a Drag Kit form the Group Buy with importparts.
Get a tial wastegate
get 310cc injectors
Get a Cartech 20025 FMU
3" Downpipe to 3" exhaust
Get a Profec B (or whatever boost controller you want)
Get a boost gauge, Fuel pressure gauge, and if you want 3 gauges get a EGT gauge.
Get a MissingLink

There you have it. That should be good for 8 psi and a lot of power.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Questions about a Turbo for my R... (PYTypeR408)

This guy makes it sound like a grim story. U can begin by deciding how much power U want to realize, then work from there. If all out power is what U want, then it will be a good idea to build your bottom end. rods, pistons and Darton sleeves cost me $1800. By all means get a custom kit, the mani from either Hot Shot or South Florida Performance. Turbo and Intercoler from XS Engineering, Tial WG and BOV, all these U can get with time unless U have the funds to do it all at once. Turbo build ups can be done in stages, U can build the bottom first, then when that is done U can build the turbo system itself.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:44 PM
New User

Default Re: Questions about a Turbo for my R... (Liltrix)

My goal is low 13s (high 12s if possible, but not a must have) on street tires.