Notices

Questions about Goautoworks oil kit and restrictor

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Questions about Goautoworks oil kit and restrictor

Im about to buy a GoAuto Pro oil line kit and, as far as I know, it doesnt come with a restrictor. Do i need to buy a .065 restrictor as well? Turbo is a JB Turbonetics T3 Super 60. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: Questions about Goautoworks oil kit and restrictor

The Pro Oil Kit does not come with an oil restrictor. The journal bearing Turbonetics units typically do not need a restrictor unless the car makes an "abnormally high" amount of oil pressure. If you were to add an oil restrictor then the correct size would be a .065 for journal bearing turbos.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoworks
The Pro Oil Kit does not come with an oil restrictor. The journal bearing Turbonetics units typically do not need a restrictor unless the car makes an "abnormally high" amount of oil pressure. If you were to add an oil restrictor then the correct size would be a .065 for journal bearing turbos.
And what is the official word on what constitutes an "abnormally high" amount of oil pressure at the fitting?. Surely Turbonetics gave you the oil pressure specifications and range for the GAW , GTK, and TNX series of turbochargers. And you're sure they're using 1/8thNPT for all CHRAs? Or is it 1/8NPT for some and 1/4NPT for others? This is so that just in case people use other equipment, they have the right sizes associated with your line.

Turbonetics lately has been rather cryptic about that information, which they really shouldn't be. So, I thought they'd at least make their dealers/distributors privy to that pertinent information.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would my turbo benefit from using a restrictor? Are there any downsides or possible negative effects?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by k20z1ej1
Would my turbo benefit from using a restrictor? Are there any downsides or possible negative effects?
Well, like anything else, it's a balance of the oil pressure that you have. The benefit is that you don't overpressure the oil sealing rings and don't get blowby. The negative effect is that if you get the wrong type and size, you could easily starve the turbocharger of oil and cause catastrophic failure. Many Turbonetics/Garrett and Precision turbos benefit from specific oil restrictor sizes (that's why the .065" opening was brought up).

So, the size is dependent upon your oil pressure at the line at cold start or Wide Open Throttle (most Honda B-series is about 68-80psi of oil pressure, while K-series is much higher at about 100psi) and you need about 40psi for Garrett and no more than 50psi for most Turbonetics (but that may have changed hence my question to Greg).

You need to know what oil pressure you're at to help more.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
And what is the official word on what constitutes an "abnormally high" amount of oil pressure at the fitting?. Surely Turbonetics gave you the oil pressure specifications and range for the GAW , GTK, and TNX series of turbochargers. And you're sure they're using 1/8thNPT for all CHRAs? Or is it 1/8NPT for some and 1/4NPT for others? This is so that just in case people use other equipment, they have the right sizes associated with your line.

Turbonetics lately has been rather cryptic about that information, which they really shouldn't be. So, I thought they'd at least make their dealers/distributors privy to that pertinent information.
All the Turbonetics turbos use the same 1/8 pre filtered inlet pre installed (I have some standard, cast, GAW, GTK, and TNX units here, the oil inlet is the same on every one (JB, BB, and DBB), and has been for at least the last 5 years). If you have a modified pump that keeps the pressure above the 80 mark then I would suggest a restrictor in the line.

The (JB) Pro Oil kit uses a -3 feed line, -10 return, no oil restrictor standard.

Be sure to have a clear path drain and some sort of crank case pressure relief as well.

What "cryptic" information are you looking for?
Old 07-06-2017, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks fellas
Old 07-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Only Turbos that seem to be finiky are the Precision JB... After tons of talks with people in the know -4 and .060 restrictor was best it seems. T46266. I put a inline T'd Gauge at turbo and monitored oil pressure to get the talked about desired pressure.

Turbonetics, Garrett, Borg, Comp, FF thought all either gave exact what feed line to use or some sort of restrictor already installed to use? for JB. They all seem to have better/stronger internals then the Precision JB line.
I know my old SC6176e Precision had no issues back in the day cause they used Garrett internals then.

-10 drain seems to work for most. However most say need atleast -12. I like the -10 CnC funnel that I am using below with a O ring as a gasket. You can also see in the picture the cheaper china flanges use a much smaller diameter hole 1.5+mm smaller...

Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Autoworks
All the Turbonetics turbos use the same 1/8 pre filtered inlet pre installed (I have some standard, cast, GAW, GTK, and TNX units here, the oil inlet is the same on every one (JB, BB, and DBB), and has been for at least the last 5 years). If you have a modified pump that keeps the pressure above the 80 mark then I would suggest a restrictor in the line.

The (JB) Pro Oil kit uses a -3 feed line, -10 return, no oil restrictor standard.

Be sure to have a clear path drain and some sort of crank case pressure relief as well.

What "cryptic" information are you looking for?
Nothing cryptic, now that you've answered that with FULL detail..

Much obliged. It's about time. Surprisingly, that information was not present in any information on your site, Turbonetics , or Wabtec