Notices

question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude

hello,

my EMS is on a UPS truck and it'll be here in a few days. i know i should be reading the instruction book thoroughly before ripping out the stock ECU. but i'm just curious if there are any obstacles along the way or if should look out for anything in particular which wouldn't be covered in the manual. also, are there other hardware items i need to purchase that complement this unit?

currently, i have stock injectors and i was told not to install the EMS until i upgrade them. reason being is that i shouldn't waste my time configuring it twice. is this true or are there not many changes between the two?

as of now i have a turbo at 4psi with an in-line fuel pump and a FMU. Both will be removed at the time of installation.

also, i was told that the AEM EMS is one of the most difficult units to configure. do i work from base maps or does someone have a similar setup with settings i can copy and slighty modify (if necessary)? upon tuning, what factors need special attention versus what's not? i'm a super noob at this, and will need much advice. thanks in advance for the help!!!

-ray
Old 11-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (Cowboy)

I know it is a little off subject, but have you dynoed your car? what is your setup?
Old 11-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (SMOOTH97LUDE)

AEM's website has a forum on just the AEM EMS that has a lot answers to your questions and base maps you can download!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:33 PM

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (SMOOTH97LUDE)

not dynoed....it's a drag gen 4 kit....

-ray
Old 11-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the main thing is to make sure to download the newest software from the aem forum. the stuff on the cd that comes wiht the unit may not be the newest stuff.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:44 AM

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (JDogg)

i heard that a few people had problems with the EMS shutting down. do you know the cause of the problem? also, what's the minimum computer specs needed to run the unit through a serial cable? thanks

-ray
Old 11-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have only heard of one person having that problem with the current software. when we were beta testing it came up but was resolved. it was only a supra thing and related the the laptop that was being used.

i would recomend at least a 800mhz with as much ram and the biggest screen you can afford. we recently upgraded from a 13 inch screen laptop to a 15inch screen and its alot nicer, you can see more w/o having to scroll around.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (JDogg)

would it be possible to learn how to tune it yourself without any prior tuning experience?.. i was playing around with the demo software and i don't even know what half the functions mean. does the manual explain all that?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (accordfreak)

instructions and definitions of all the functinos are in the pdf files that come with the software.... you need to go fine the downloads section of the forum and get the software install from there. the demo is the OLD software. the new stuff is 100 times better
Old 11-27-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (accordfreak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordfreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would it be possible to learn how to tune it yourself without any prior tuning experience?.. i was playing around with the demo software and i don't even know what half the functions mean. does the manual explain all that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything is possible with the right amount of time. The aem ems is quite a handful to learn. I would try and find someone who is really good at tuning and using the ems to show you what it does and what the stuff means before I would go messing with the settings let alone tuning it on my own car.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question for those who have AEM EMS on a gen5 prelude (underpressure02)

we do travel to tune cars. we set it up on a case by case basis depending on the customers needs. normally when i travel to tune i also teach the customer what they need to know to make changes in the tune should the need ever come up.