Notices

Question regarding fuel management. Will this effectively work? Need some good advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question regarding fuel management. Will this effectively work? Need some good advice!

Ok. I was told this can be done without a problem.
I have a chipped/socketed ecu already.
If I run the Aeromotive 1:1 (no vortech FMU) with all the -6AN lines a larger fuel rail, larger inline fuel filter, and 440's.
Using a GM 2bar map sensor. Without a fuel computer (S-AFC hondata AEM).
Tuned on a dyno and have a burned chip from the tuner who has a hondata 4b with the ability to write chips.
I am told be this person (A shop owner) that this is no problem whatsoever.
I threw into the equation a Profec B. With it off running stock boost of the Tial wastegate's .45 bar spring. With the EBC on at the low setting at about 7-9. And finally a high setting of about 12, for when Im at the track using 104 octane or on the street using the rarely sold 100 octane found at some Sunoco gas stations.
Now he says, no problem. No check engine lights dealing with the map sensor. Also that the hondata can burn a single chip for all of this. Keeping an acceptable a/f ratio without detonating and having no cold start or idling problems. Being able to give me a redline and keeping the speed governor off.
Now I think that it would be possible, but would be better if I had an addition ecu chip burned specifically for the high boost application.

If this works then great! I couldnt be happier. I was thinking that I was stuck using the vortech FMU until I could save for a standalone like hondata or AEM.
Please give me some assistance on this question. I am about to build another shopping ist with all that fuel crap on it, but still dunno if this will work.

Am I leaving anything out?
Old 02-26-2002, 10:44 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question regarding fuel management. Will this effectively work? Need some good advice! (93LSiv

Your advisor is incorrect. When you burn a chip for a Hondata system, and install it into the ECU, the chip looks for the Hondata box. Without that box connected, it reverts to a base program programmed in the ECU itself, and is not bypassable. So, in short, yes, you could do all that, but it's not going to work without the Hondata box itself.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question regarding fuel management. Will this effectively work? Need some good advice! (93LSiv

So, basically I SOL. I would need a S-AFC if I wanna go with 440's or no S-AFC if I go 310's---and Im still stuck with the stupid FMU.

Another question. I have this N/A XS chipped ecu. Can he write me some type of a program that will revert to stock maps? Or should I just try to sell the ecu, or even try to get ahold of an ECU chipped (Locash?) to see if I can get a stock chip from them? The ECU is socketed (I believe) so I dont wanna sell it cause if I go hondata down the road then I will have to have it done on that ecu.

Damn, what to do. I really wanted to do the setup that Arturbo and Dustin did with the -6AN fuel line, rail, and Aeromotive 1:1 FPR. This would be pointless now, well, not really cause I could still install all that and still use the FMU right? then it'll be there when hondata is introduced.
What a pain this is!
Old 02-26-2002, 11:38 PM
Better than steak

Just buy hondata 2b, or even 1b when it comes out.

art
Old 02-26-2002, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I knew that was coming. I started my turbo project by keeping it a "budget" backyard junkyard setup.
Now, brand new turbo, manifold, downpipe, tial wastegate,fuel rail, boost controller, even a spare block, yadda yadda yadda...........
Only thing that isnt new is the fmu, fuel pump, BOV, and intercooler.
Damn as the saying goes TURBO IS NOT CHEAP
Old 02-26-2002, 11:54 PM
Better than steak

ITURBO IS NOT CHEAP
and you get what you paid for...

art
Old 02-27-2002, 06:23 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

TURBO IS NOT CHEAP
Ditto! Even my "budget" homemade turbo CRX is getting out of hand. The turbo parts cost more than the car itself (Ok, so the car was free )
Old 02-27-2002, 06:53 AM

I am starting to build a homemade turbo kit also. I am just not sure how to manage the fuel until i save up for a hondata or zydne. What should i use with dsm 390 injectors?
Old 02-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hondata 1b needs to come out soon! i am going to need it once i get my obd1 ecu. it should have been out by now.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hondata 1b needs to come out soon! i am going to need it once i get my obd1 ecu. it should have been out by now.
Amen. Thats what I need. Should be about the same price as an AFC