Notices

Question before i buy a greddy kit....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question before i buy a greddy kit....

I think i am going to soon buy a greddy turbo kit. I am goin to get the 92-95 SOHC kit and put it on my 99 ex. Before i buy, i wanted to know a few things. Is there anything else not in the kit that i need to buy to install. I have heard that you have to move a sensor, what do i need to do that if it is necessary? The other question that i have is about an intercooler. I am thinking about gettin a greddy type 31 or 24 IC. Do i have to do any modifing to the bumper?
Old 11-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question before i buy a greddy kit.... (awalk2005)

I know you have to buy a b.o.v and an intercooler. Thas all i know, i plan on getting a greddy kit to for my z6.

I want to buy pistons and rods and up that boost baby.

Anyone know how much my B16 rods can hold?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Question before i buy a greddy kit.... (awalk2005)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awalk2005 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think i am going to soon buy a greddy turbo kit. I am goin to get the 92-95 SOHC kit and put it on my 99 ex. Before i buy, i wanted to know a few things. Is there anything else not in the kit that i need to buy to install. I have heard that you have to move a sensor, what do i need to do that if it is necessary? The other question that i have is about an intercooler. I am thinking about gettin a greddy type 31 or 24 IC. Do i have to do any modifing to the bumper?</TD></TR></TABLE>

youll need to buy a blowoff valve and an intercooler separately from the kit. i highly recommend getting both before putting it on. the sensor youre talking about is the o2 sensor. u just need to extend those wires, nothing major. the greddy type 31 intercooler is fine. no modifications needed to get that to fit. if you get the type 24, however, you're gonna have to modify or remove your bumper support. why dont you checkout: http://www.turbod16.comif u have any other questions... and good luck.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Question before i buy a greddy kit.... (Racerage1)

I did know that you would need to get and IC and BOV seperatly. I plan on running 7-8 psi and if i decide to do some work internally the most i would probably run is 12psi with tuning. What do u guys think would a good BOV? Considering a tial or mayb greddy.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racerage1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

youll need to buy a blowoff valve and an intercooler separately from the kit. i highly recommend getting both before putting it on. the sensor youre talking about is the o2 sensor. u just need to extend those wires, nothing major. the greddy type 31 intercooler is fine. no modifications needed to get that to fit. if you get the type 24, however, you're gonna have to modify or remove your bumper support. why dont you checkout: http://www.turbod16.comif u have any other questions... and good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong about the Type 24 not fitting without hacking up the bumper support. Mine is still in one peice on my 97 hatch with the Type 24 on the same kit. You do, on the other hand, have to trim the black part of the bumper (on the back side), but you can't even tell. I would also suggest the TiAL bov with the kit. You need a boost guage for sure, I would suggest a wideband 02 if you want to tune yourself and an EGT guage. On top of all of this, I would get a SAFC or similar instead of the Blue Box that comes with the kit. If you need any more help with it let us know!! I've tossed that kit on my car (ek) and if you need anything I'm sure I can help.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Question before i buy a greddy kit.... (1991_jdm_sleeper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1991_jdm_sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know you have to buy a b.o.v and an intercooler. Thas all i know, i plan on getting a greddy kit to for my z6.

I want to buy pistons and rods and up that boost baby.

Anyone know how much my B16 rods can hold?</TD></TR></TABLE>if my memory serves me i think u can get at most 300 w/o internals 300-350 with forged pistons
Old 11-04-2003, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Question before i buy a greddy kit.... (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wrong about the Type 24 not fitting without hacking up the bumper support. Mine is still in one peice on my 97 hatch with the Type 24 on the same kit. You do, on the other hand, have to trim the black part of the bumper (on the back side), but you can't even tell. I would also suggest the TiAL bov with the kit. You need a boost guage for sure, I would suggest a wideband 02 if you want to tune yourself and an EGT guage. On top of all of this, I would get a SAFC or similar instead of the Blue Box that comes with the kit. If you need any more help with it let us know!! I've tossed that kit on my car (ek) and if you need anything I'm sure I can help.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry bout the mistake, i dont have a greddy intercooler, but i do have the greddy kit on my 99 coupe with a custom intercooler, so i wasnt totally sure about it. i would have to agree with the boost gauge being essential, because u might overboost and not even know it. the blue box would suffice IMO until u get a standalone fuel management instead of the AFC hack.

oh and BTW, for a BOV, i would suggest the HKS SSQ.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racerage1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would have to agree with the boost gauge being essential, because u might overboost and not even know it. the blue box would suffice IMO until u get a standalone fuel management instead of the AFC hack. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hell yeah...did you see in the new SCC where they hooked up the Edlebrock turbo kit and swiss cheezed the bottom end on the first boost??!! The wastegate stuck shut and they ran up to 20psi and blew the block and oilpan apart. If this guy isnt planning to run over 10 psi or so on this kit, I would'nt even suggest spending that kind of money on fuel management, as the AFC hack will do him just fine at those levels.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Question before i buy a greddy kit.... (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hell yeah...did you see in the new SCC where they hooked up the Edlebrock turbo kit and swiss cheezed the bottom end on the first boost??!! The wastegate stuck shut and they ran up to 20psi and blew the block and oilpan apart. If this guy isnt planning to run over 10 psi or so on this kit, I would'nt even suggest spending that kind of money on fuel management, as the AFC hack will do him just fine at those levels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL...yeah, i got that issue in the mail not too long ago. and ive also heard a couple stories from here of kick-*** setups but no boost gauge and end up boosting like 2 bar on their first run ...LOL... no need to say what happens next..

oh and yeah, the afc hack will be fine at those levels. but u know how people get. they always want more so i say, might as well do it right first.