Notices

Question about sleeving a already built motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about sleeving a already built motor

So this question comes out of me being uncomfortable with the setup I built.. Ive had the block sitting for about 6 months fresh out the machine shop its a 82mm stock sleeve GSR with CP 10:0:1 pistons Turbo Manley Rods LS Crank acl race bearings and arp rod bolts.. Now I planned on boosting this only to make 400whp as a daily driver for now but most likely by the time its out will be a weekend warrior.. I want to know if I can sleeve the motor and keep it at 82mm for I dont have to get new pistons.. I know I will have to disassemble the motor thats not a problem but im worried if they sleeve it will the cylinders be out of round its already bored and honed and with the pistons inside of it etc... Also I was thinking for this setup to save a little bit of money because my power goals arent extreme to go with cncwerx CSS
Old 05-27-2015, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Question about sleeving a already built motor

CSS isnt sleeves, and if you go with CSS you will need to overbore and buy new pistons.

You could install sleeves and bore them to your current piston size, but you may end up needing rings, or to slightly enlarge current ring gaps depending how precise the hone job is

If the motor is assembled, for 400 whp, run it as is. If its really a weekend racer, run a high grade fuel in it and dont be worried about 400whp
Old 05-28-2015, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the reason I say by the time its out will most likely be a weekend car cause im in the middle of building my all motor hatch as well and will use that as the daily. Im just worried about cracking a sleeve I mean we have amazing tuners out here in SFL but I keep reading that 82mm on boost is just playing with the life of your motor and in all honestly im just thinking about spending the extra money to get sleeves installed instead of having to repull the motor when the almost inevitable happens.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its your cash, if you got it, its definitely a good investment, although I believe the CSS treatment to be superior personally for reliability, to many sunken sleeve stories with aftermarket sleeves

I didnt think my D16 on stock sleeves would take 25psi for even a season either, thought it was a time bomb, self tuned, built a backup motor for what I thought was inevitable aswell... and here I am 3 years later and the motor is still strong and my backup is collecting dust.

Its ALL in the tune, especially if youre able to run a high grade gas in the vehicle 100% of the time, Id keep the motor assembled for 400whp
Old 05-28-2015, 03:42 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sunken sleeves aren't the fault of the sleeve, it's the fault of shitty install. If you have them properly installed by a competent shop, they shouldn't sink. If you let the machine shop around the corner do the work because it's cheaper, well...hopefully GE or Darton is that shop around the corner from you.