Notices

question about rebuilding block for turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about rebuilding block for turbo

sup guys, just need some info about rebuilding my motor for boost.

my motor has about 200K on it, so i figure i do rebuild before boosting. so i spent

a lot of time searching and studying how to rebuild and etc. i am planning to

overbore my block and put new zex cams(d16). my question is people have used

terms such as deck, hone, balanced, or blueprinted...so i am not sure what those

are. so can anybody be kind enough to tell me what those are and also whether i

need those or not. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: question about rebuilding block for turbo (ggangtong81)

To deck a block is to machine the cylinder head surface flat and square to the crank jurnals and is recomended.
To hone a block is the step that is done after boring the block to get a beter sealing surface for the rings and needed.
Balancing is the act of making sure that all of the parts in the rotating assembly weigh the same (pistons, rods, rings piston pins) and also it is dynamicly balanced so that the crank, flywheel, balancer are matched to each other so that there is no harmonic vibration.
And blueprinting is measuring every single little dimension and clearance in the engine and then remachining them if neccasary.

Clinton
Old 08-28-2005, 06:36 PM

Default Re: question about rebuilding block for turbo (ggangtong81)

well first of all you will not want to "deck" anything if you plan on building for boost because this involves removing material from the combustion chamber height(either the head or the block) and will cause an increase in compression. You will need to hone the cylinder walls in order to retain ring lubracation if your planning on running new pistons. To balance an engine you must test the rotating assembly(which involves a machine that will spin your crank rods and pistons at certain rpm's to simulate real engine conditions) and if there is a part that is out of balance it can be drilled shaved or welded to achieve proper balance.From personal experience honda engines are balanced properly and the only engines that need balancing are the old domestics and race cars.blueprinting an engine is simply put checking tolerances and making sure tq specs and clearance specs are met and recorded. If your building for boost then you need to pay more atention to terms like compresion ratio lbs of boost, ignition retard, fuel pressure, injector size fuel pump size, and engine management to name a few. good luck.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: question about rebuilding block for turbo (sprayed-silver)

Yeah see decking the block removes only a few thousanths of an onch and will effect the compression about none. and if the thing is warped, you fix it otherwise you will blow headgaskets naturaly aspirated even. Any time you use a differant set of pistond or rods your engine should be balanced. Not doing this is just being a cheap ***. It is true that you don't have to use bob weights to do these type of 4 cylinder cranks, if you use an aftermarket flywheel and or front pully/ballancer it needs to be checked. You should always check the new components that you buy cause it is way easier to change now then later. And if you are worried about the $100 or so to balance you rotator then you probably bought cheapass no name parts in the first place and those are the parts to look out for.

Clinton