Notices

Question about my oil feed and return lines on my first turbo build...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my oil feed and return lines on my first turbo build...

Does it matter where the feed and return lines go? The way my turbo is mounted, the return line will be on the top (pointing to the sky) and the feed line will be coming from the bottom (facing the earth) Here is a quick picture (thanks to paintbrush ) that I did up to help explain how it sits.

Does it matter if the oil comes from the top or bottom?

Any advice will greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Oh, this view is from the cold side of the turbo, and its a TD04L from a WRX.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM

The oil drain should be on the bottom. Just un-loosen the bolts that are around the comp. and turbine housings and clock them accordingly so that the drain is on the bottom. Ive had to do that on a sohc turbo i built for someone..

BTW
Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alpinestar03)

That was my first instinct to do, however on this turbo you cant adjust the housing's position. Its an internally wastegated turbo.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:52 PM

Oh.. ic. Huh.. Im stumped too. You might have some luck with a top mount turbo manifold.

I think the flange for the turbine inlet is facing upward, instead of down like a normal ramhorn/log mani.. Thus reversing the turbo's position.. Btw. what car and motor are you dealing with?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Alpinestar03)

94 CX hatch with a B18B1. I was also thinking the same thing about the top mount manifold. Anyone else have any input on wether I would run into problems with it being on my car this way?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Re: (daluv)

with the way you have it drawn there it will not work. the oil drain uses gravity to drain the oil back into the pan.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about my oil feed and return lines on my first turbo build... (daluv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daluv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I corrected your picture, see below;

Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRXdan)

So even if the chamber that the oil goes into fills up with oil, it wont go out of the return line? I figured atleast that if it filled up enough that the oil would get to the return line and then through it into the oil pan. Does it matter how much oil is in the chamber on the turbo that the oil goes into?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oil needs to be circulated properly and free flowing without any restrictions. You might run into some type of oil starvation.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTECth1s)

Ouch, that kind of sucks...

What if I was able to make the lines fit on eachothers location? As in: Make a fitting so that the feed line can go where the return line is, and vice versa.

Does the way the turbine spin effect how the oil is passed through the chamber?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, that won't work. The oil inlet is a completely different size than the drain. You would drown the bearings and leave the oil a tiny hole to drain from.

What kind of turbo is this? Can you replace it with something that will suit your needs without too much hassle?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dartanian)

If I made it so that the small feed line was able to mount to the top, and the bigger return line was able to fit the bottom hole using a connector that had a bigger diameter inside of it (bigger diameter than the feed diameter) for the oil to drain out of with a line that is bigger also in diameter compared to the feed line, that wont work?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daluv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oh, this view is from the cold side of the turbo, and its a TD04L from a WRX.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dartanian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, that won't work. The oil inlet is a completely different size than the drain. You would drown the bearings and leave the oil a tiny hole to drain from.

What kind of turbo is this? Can you replace it with something that will suit your needs without too much hassle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I could probably get a t3/t4, but at the same time this is the turbo I want to use. I guess I could maybe re-fab my manifold so that the turbo is angled 90 degrees towards the engine so that the feed and return lines are parallel left to right instead of top to bottom, would that work?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

post pics of turbo now
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I could probably get a t3/t4, but at the same time this is the turbo I want to use. I guess I could maybe re-fab my manifold so that the turbo is angled 90 degrees towards the engine so that the feed and return lines are parallel left to right instead of top to bottom, would that work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that wouldn't work. The drain has to face downward, simple as that, end of story. If you can't get it to work without something drastic, you need to consider a different turbo.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

since the chamber that the oil sits in on the turbo is kind of small, would it hurt to just throw in about an extra 1/4 qt of oil in the motor to fill in any starvation points? would having the chamber with the bearings full of oil do any damage to the bearings? i would think that it wouldnt hurt the bearings because they would definatley never run dry and would be lubbed at all times. but then again, this is my first step into the turbo world so I dont really know too much about it all.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM

dood. you CANT do it. end of story

well you can, but you WILL flood the turbo and oil will be spewing out of your bearing housing and onto your turbine wheel causings your car to smoke.

actually... do it, but make some vids.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRXdan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXdan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can but you WILL flood the turbo and oil will be spewing out of your bearing housing and onto your turbine wheel causings your car to smoke.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool thats what I wanted to know. guess Ill have to either re-fab my manifold to make it a top mount or go with a different turbo. thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant you just convert to an extarnal wasgate?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thatblkguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thatblkguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cant you just convert to an extarnal wasgate?</TD></TR></TABLE>

External wastegate has no relation to the routing of his oil feed and return line.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

isnt the reason he gave for not being able to clock the turbo was that its internally wastegated. I think its post number 3

But i could be wrong

Old 07-29-2008, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Question about my oil feed and return lines on my first turbo build... (daluv)

internal wastegate or not the turbo should be able to be clocked?? cant u just rotate only the center section? both ends will stay right where they are.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Question about my oil feed and return lines on my first turbo build... (97grnrs)

unless he has a locating pin ion the compressor side, if thats the case just remove it. Take pics of turbo
Old 07-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about my oil feed and return lines on my first turbo build... (CRXdan)

I have already removed the clamp in the middle of the turbo, it LOOKS like it should be able to be clocked, but after an hour or more with a hammer, flathead screwdriver, nothing broke it loose. Plus, the mounting brackets for the wastegate are on the cold side of the turbo, if it was clocked in a different position, the bracket would not line up with a nice spot to mount it.

I hae already tooken care of my question though. I re-configured my exhaust manifold so that the turbo is mounted in a top mount position, which was a pain but luckily I still had some good piping laying around. Looking at the cold side of the turbo, and using the sky as "noon" and the earth as "six o'clock" my feed line now sits at 11 and my return line sits at 5. Its not perfect, but the oil chamber definatley wont be flooding or filling to the brim with oil now, so I think Im good.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:24 AM

Both turbine housing and compressor housing would need to be clocked. essentially you are only clocking the bearing housing, everything else remains the same, so your waste gate actuator would still bolt on in the same fashion. Anyways glad too see you got it figured out but if I had 15mins with that turbo it would have been clocked to fit your manifold. The V band clamp needs to be removed entirely and hammer the turbine housing off the bearing housing. Some wd40 and a torch is all you need
but i doubt youll have that turbo on there for very long anyways, if its going onto a b18 that is. You wont be happy with the result. looks like a wrx turbo too me.

Quick Reply: Question about my oil feed and return lines on my first turbo build...