Notices

Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 08:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price?

Tried a search on Amsoil, couldn't find anything.

My local Murray's auto store now carries Amsoil. It is $6.99 per quart. The 10w-30 Turbo formulated oil really interest me.

I am currently using Mobil 1 Synthetic 15w-30.

Will I really notice a difference in how the oil lubricates my engine? Is it worht the extra moolah? I mean.. I guess it won't hurt to try it once to see how it feels which is what I might do, but I wanted to get some people's opinion on it also.

ANOTHER question.
I notice that the oil states that intervals on changing the oil with AMSOIL is OUTRAGEOUS. It says that to change NON TURBO engines oil every 20K but continue to keep changing the oil filter.

And for TURBO engines, the interval is 12K with normal changing with oil filters.

Is that true? Has anybody acutally done that? I don't know if I would wait 12K to change my oil. But Amsoil is stating that. I might... I dunno, wait 5K at most. But I don't know if that is such a good idea wheather or not they state it safe to do so.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price? (Snafu-Si)

One more thing... How the heck do I ONLY change my oil filter? Won't all the oil just pour out of my car from the oil filter area anyway? I can see it being very, very, very messy.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price? (Snafu-Si)

your oil drains to your pan, so if you let it sit for a while you can change your filter.

also i dont know if its worth it. I run saab turbo synthetic blend oil for $6 for 4 quarts.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:35 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price? (evan2)

My friend has a bone stock gsr and uses amsoil. He is a cheap bastard and only changes it every 15 to 20k miles. He doesn't have any problems.

I read an independent oil test online a while ago. The results were that amsoil, redline, and mobil 1 were the three 'best' out of all the oils tested. The differences between the three were negligable. I dont remember what other oils were tested, or what methods they used to determine what was better or worse. Hell, I don't even know who the hell conducted the test. I have a print out around here someplace. Mobil 1 is 'different' now, and I wouldn't be suprised if amsoil and redline changed their formulas since a few years ago also, so take this post for what its worth.

Is it worth it? I guess the answer to that depends on how much money you have. I would just stick with some cheaper synthetics if you are paying much more than $4 a quart.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price? (mos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friend has a bone stock gsr and uses amsoil. He is a cheap bastard and only changes it every 15 to 20k miles. He doesn't have any problems.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol lol
Old 07-09-2003, 01:28 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price? (DLB1994)

His father is an amsoil distributor, so he gets it for free. He also has adjusted his valves like once in like 150,000 miles. His motor still sounds great...He's not really a car enthusiast, as you can tell. It's just his beater.

BTW, some european car companies specifiy 15k mile oil change intervals on sythetic for their new cars now days. Not saying that its a good practice, just saying thats what they do now.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DLB1994 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-09-2003, 10:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Hmmm... Thanks for the replies. I think I'll be trying it out later.

Any suggestions on good OIl filters? I'm currently using a Pure one Oil filter.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:41 PM

i use it in my geo now that i've got it broken in. turbo spools quicker (but not that much) :-)

it's definately peice of mind to know i have good oil in my engine...
Old 07-10-2003, 10:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Question about Asmoil, who uses it in their turbo? Is it worth the price? (lazerus)

So far, most of the experiences.. actually all of them with AMSOIL have been extremely positive. I'm very eager now to try it out to see how if it feels any different or if I notice anything.

I still don't know abotu that 12K oil change interval though. I might stretch it out to 5 K... but I dont 'know about 12k.