Notices

Q's on jrsc stock GSR

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q's on jrsc stock GSR

Ive searched out there and didnt get the answers I was looking for. I have a stock 01 gsr with just a cold air intake. thought about going turbo but obd1 conversions and fuel management is making me nervous. i cant get a straight answer if supercharging requires tuning or engine management. any preliminary maintenance/mods to consider? is it even worth doing this with stock exhaust? Any help woud be much appreciated. TIA

Modified by tweekerz at 6:23 AM 6/28/2005
Old 06-28-2005, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Q's on jrsc stock GSR (tweekerz)

I'm pretty sure the JRSC comes with some form of fuel management, but I think it's just an FMU which is usually OK for low boost, but isn't really tunable to get the most power/reliability.

As far a maintenance/mods are concerned, it never hurts to do the usual cap/rotor/plug wires/fuel filter. You would probably want some colder heat range spark plugs too.

With a stock exhaust, you'll probably lose quite a bit on the top end.

Keep in mind that a turbo setup will usually cost less and provide more power at the same boost levels. (And you get to hear the mad tyte blow off valve yO!)
Old 06-28-2005, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Q's on jrsc stock GSR (bubs)

Oh, and to answer your question... Supercharging does require fuel management.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm pretty sure the JRSC comes with some form of fuel management, but I think it's just an FMU which is usually OK for low boost, but isn't really tunable to get the most power/reliability.

As far a maintenance/mods are concerned, it never hurts to do the usual cap/rotor/plug wires/fuel filter. You would probably want some colder heat range spark plugs too.

With a stock exhaust, you'll probably lose quite a bit on the top end.

Keep in mind that a turbo setup will usually cost less and provide more power at the same boost levels. (And you get to hear the mad tyte blow off valve yO!) </TD></TR></TABLE>

on jrsc's website they sell the package but does not mention anything about fuel management. so if i just put the blower on, what kind of fuel management do i need to do if any?

they do have the option to use hondata, larger injectors, 8&11psi pulleys which they sell as a package for 1700 as an add on. can it be used with stock internals?

Modified by tweekerz at 6:47 AM 6/28/2005
Old 06-28-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Q's on jrsc stock GSR (tweekerz)

If you look at the parts list (http://jacksonracing.com/graphics/BOMS/989-500.pdf), it looks like the base package comes with an FMU, which doesn't require bigger fuel injectors, but usually needs an inline fuel pump which I don't see in the list.

If it were me, I wouldn't go with the upgraded higher boost package unless you decide to build up your motor first. The stock motor would probably hold together, but why take a chance.

Whatever you decide on, do lots of research. It seems like a lot of people that have/had JRSC's want a turbo or have gone turbo instead because there's only so far you can go with a supercharger.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you look at the parts list (http://jacksonracing.com/graphics/BOMS/989-500.pdf), it looks like the base package comes with an FMU, which doesn't require bigger fuel injectors, but usually needs an inline fuel pump which I don't see in the list.

If it were me, I wouldn't go with the upgraded higher boost package unless you decide to build up your motor first. The stock motor would probably hold together, but why take a chance.

Whatever you decide on, do lots of research. It seems like a lot of people that have/had JRSC's want a turbo or have gone turbo instead because there's only so far you can go with a supercharger.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JRSC kit comes with a JR 5:1 (IIRC) FMU. It sucks. Hondata made a WORLD of a difference in drivability, boost transition and overall smoothness. I wouldnt run the FMU at all, period, ever.

And honestly, although its cool to get your feet wet first with a stock kit, I think if you are dead set on a JRSC, you should just run 8-10PSI from the start. Make sure you have the right setup with the right fuel management (Hondata/AEM/Neptune, whatever & Injectors, 450s should be fine) from the beginning and bolt it all on. Changing the pulleys after its installed is a PITA.

Either that or just get over your fears of OBD1 and go turbo. JRSC is pretty cool and offers a fun ride, but it just doesnt throw you back and give you the same rush as a solid turbo setup will.