Notices

PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better

It seems that nobody has run a PWR radiator in a DSM and given a review of it anywhere. I am fully aware however that a lot of turbo honda people are run PWR equipment and was wondering what your comments are on the two different radiator cooling options.

I can pick up a fluidyne radiator for 350 or a PWR radiator for 349. Both are made to fit in my car. Which one is better and why? Are their any differences in cooling capacities of either? Is the core material/technology different? Are the endtanks connected different?

Old 07-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better (danl)

C&R
Old 07-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Banned

Default Re: PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better (93LSivic)

A C&R radiator will run me 475 or 509 with a fan.

Fluidyne advertises 20-30% more cooling with their units. Thats about what its going to take for me to keep things inline for my car. I'm ***-u-ming that the PWR will provide simillar results. I'd like to stick with the fluidyne or PWR because I can get either from a vendor I am comftorable with and the prices are more inline with what I want to be spending.

So what makes a C&R better? Or a Fluidyne or PWR better?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am going to get a c & R for my car cause i like the fact of the built in fan. If you look at the price of a nice radiator and fan it comes out to the same price as c & R roughly
Old 07-03-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: (fi hatch)

They probably perform just as well as each other.
Old 07-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

I have had a Fluidyne and a C&R. I have never puchased a PWR other than their intercooler. I like the C&R. The fitment is a lot better and the slim fan makes it even a easier and better purchase.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Pat
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BodyKits NW)

I have a PWR rad on my DSM, it cools pretty well even behind a large FMIC when moving. But I did have a problem w/ overheating at idle/traffic until I added another slim fan (can find these 12" fans on ebay for cheap).

The other thing was that the endtank was taller than stock so I could not use the stock radiator brackets on top.
Old 07-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pat)

the PWR is superior to the Fluidyne due to its side bolters.
in the event of a headgasket blow out, the side bolsters will support the rad more and have less of an implod effect...
Old 07-03-2004, 05:36 PM

I'm pretty sure the C&R comes with a FAL slim fan, whereas the PWR and Fluidynes don't.

If you can retain your stock fan and be content, go with one of the slightly less expensive (depending on application) fans. If you're going to need a slim fan, it's probably more cost-effective to just get the C&R. all 3 are very high quality brands and i've never heard or personally experienced anything bad that was the actual manufacturer's or product's fault.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Armed Ferret)

Earl runs a PWR rad on his 9 sec CRX, Im sure its fine.

I got one too (PWR) great fitment, no problems at all.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (FredoSP)

i'm running a PWR rad on my teg. fits perfect along with a FAL fan.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:43 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Pat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a PWR rad on my DSM, it cools pretty well even behind a large FMIC when moving. But I did have a problem w/ overheating at idle/traffic until I added another slim fan (can find these 12" fans on ebay for cheap).

The other thing was that the endtank was taller than stock so I could not use the stock radiator brackets on top.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny thing is even with my stock radiator the car stays cool at idle. Its when I'm climbing hills that the radiator can't get rid of the heat sufficiently enough.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pissedoffsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pissedoffsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the PWR is superior to the Fluidyne due to its side bolters.
in the event of a headgasket blow out, the side bolsters will support the rad more and have less of an implod effect...</TD></TR></TABLE>

what about c&r's ?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better (danl)

c&r's are BADASS radiators, super high quality and they come with a fan. PWR are excellent radiators also, and a bit less expensive than the ultra-nice C&R.

fluidynes get wasted when you blow a head gasket, and they are overpriced. Stick with c&r or pwr
Old 08-06-2004, 04:48 PM

C&R over ther others.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better (Full-Race Geoff)

i'm thinking of going with the C&R shorty rad. since i managed to crack the plastic on the cheap stock one.

will the c&r rad work with my stock hf motor ? of course with the proper tubes. i know a high performance rad like the c&r ones aren't needed for a dinky little economy motor like my hf but i plan on dropping a h22 so i figured why not go with it for now.

so if the c&r 'shorty' is my best bet for now, worst case scenario - the h22 turbo setup or manifold won't clear it and i'll have to get a custom rad.

what do you guys think ?
Old 08-07-2004, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better (ketchup)

I had issues with my C&R so I wouldnt recommend it. Quality is nice and it comes with a fan but the actual radiator part is no thicker than a dual core del sol rad. The fan is placed too far from the fins the way they mount it allowing it to suck air in from the engine bay instead of thru the radiator. If you have a C&R you know what i mean. With my front mount and ac on the other side the temp gauge would start climbing after 30 min of driving ever so slightly. If I didnt have ac I probably wouldnt have had any issues. I have a koyo now the quality is good not as good as the C&R but its a true 2 and whatever inch thick rad no problems since. Another thing with the koyo is you need to buy a separate fan.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: PWR vs. Fluidyne Radiators which is better (MrSmith)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrSmith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had issues with my C&R so I wouldnt recommend it. Quality is nice and it comes with a fan but the actual radiator part is no thicker than a dual core del sol rad. The fan is placed too far from the fins the way they mount it allowing it to suck air in from the engine bay instead of thru the radiator. If you have a C&R you know what i mean. With my front mount and ac on the other side the temp gauge would start climbing after 30 min of driving ever so slightly. If I didnt have ac I probably wouldnt have had any issues. I have a koyo now the quality is good not as good as the C&R but its a true 2 and whatever inch thick rad no problems since. Another thing with the koyo is you need to buy a separate fan. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What BS . How do you know its something you did'nt do?