Notices

Pros and Cons about DRAG GEN 3 Turbo kit for a B18C1...???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons about DRAG GEN 3 Turbo kit for a B18C1...???

Like the post says, what are the pros and cons about the DRAG GEN 3 turbo kit for the B18C1? I'm considering buying the kit or just building my own...what would be a better course of action on this matter? I want to boost my GSR soon, but I'm not sure if I should build my own custom kit or if I should just get the DRAG kit.

Just wanna know what are the pros and cons from people who have owned them on GSR's.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pros and Cons about DRAG GEN 3 Turbo kit for a B18C1...??? (1JDMDOMINICAN)

I used a Drag gen 3 kit on my car years ago, and for the money, its a good kit... If you plan on running higher boost than 9psi, you will need to change a few things and get some sort of engine managment...

Mike...
Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Trial User

well, i plan on going stock internals for now and not boost more than 10 psi and i'm using Hondata with it anyway..would that be straight? would it be possible to hit more than 280 hp with it?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1JDMDOMINICAN)

You can, yes. An out of the box kit is capable of mid 300's or so. I wouldnt run much more than that on the turbo they supply, or the small intercooler size...

Good basic kit, if you like bost spikes.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (HybridKOOP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridKOOP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can, yes. An out of the box kit is capable of mid 300's or so. I wouldnt run much more than that on the turbo they supply, or the small intercooler size...

Good basic kit, if you like bost spikes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

woah, wat do u mean by boost spikes? is that good or bad?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:33 PM

It's bad.

The manifold has a shitty wastegate placement, and the wastegate is a deltagate, which is notorious for boost spiking.

Basically it means running more boost than you want to, and risk damaging your motor.

Don't run an FMU.

Read the forum a little more too.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kowalski)

never had any spike issues with my DRAG kit....its a good kit for the money. Capable of the upper 300 lower 400 WHP if u upgrade the fuel management. I kinda regreted buying this kit because im upgrading to a custom kit but u cant beat the price for a beginners kit.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a DRAG kit on my EM1, it was a good basic kit, well worth the money.

I would say purchase the wastegate upgrade (tial) and buy a boost gauge (which I believe is an option)

the downside was that I did not know that it had upgrades available at the time of purchase, and the fuel pump it came with was a POS.

I had a friend who was running the DRAG kit on his GSR and all he did was upgrade the wastegate, had a block guard, rods and pistons, and injectors tuned by "st00pid' and hit 284 whp on 10lbs with hondata. (could of went for more, but he forgot to buy a 3bar map sensor)

and about spike issues, I never had any real issues, except on cold cold nights...

IMO DRAG
Old 04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the new gen 4 kit comes with a tial wg :tu
Old 04-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (brad98_teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brad98_teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the new gen 4 kit comes with a tial wg :tu</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those are only for Accords and Preludes.

I ran a Drag kit with the base deltagate and no options, using the FMU and inline pump and had a great setup with no problems at all. Ran good times, was very reliable, and was pretty cheap. I would upgrade to Hondata with all the tuners available now though.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

I never had the problem with boost spike either... I ran this set up for over 3 years without problem and was making around 350whp on a stock B20 for the last 6 months of owning this kit (of course the boost was turned up and i added injectors, but i didnt do any other mods)...

Mike...

Old 04-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i was one step closer to buy a drag kit...(b16 crx)

but in the end im piecing it...im trying to boost 7.25 psi. (stock block, massaged head with gsr cams and valvetrain)...right now i spend just a lil bit more than the price of the drag kit... but better parts (sort of)....

instead of FMU (cheap unreliable way), i got some dsm 450, walbro 255 ,greddy typ s bov, drag exhaust, DP ,new turbonetics t3t4 .60, tial wastegate 38mm (new), piping, oil lines, FMIC, new couplers, tappered oil pan, VAFC (im using pr3 ecu) , gauges and EG radiator but i even have some $$ left for a real wideband machine...

if u have some time and do a lil research u can piece yours.....
just my .02 cents...
Old 04-19-2006, 10:04 PM

Default Re: (xyzalvarez)

i have a drag kit for sale:
Located in Garden Grove CALI.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS: DRAG TURBO KIT

<U>Up for sale: Turbonetics Turbo kit</U>

* Turbonetics T3/T04b A/R .60
- Oil and Watercooled Turbo
- No Shaft Play (look at the turbin, aint no cheap turbo) compared to other turbos u see. [Paperwork provided to show proof it was rebuilt]. I'll try to scan it soon.
* Drag Manifold
* 2.5" downpipe
* Blitz Blow Off Valve
* 3X24X9 Front Mounted Intercooler
- Painted flat back on front | Can be turn around if you want the polish look
* Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate with washers and 3 springs
* New Moroso 5.5qt Aluminum Oil Pan & LS oil Pick Up - $250+ for this pan
* Greddy Oil Catch Can - new
* STR Fuel Rail with guage (red)
* SX Performance Fuel Pressure Regulator - new
* Blox 12:1 Gold FMU
* Manual Boost Controller
* Walbro brand new fuel pump kit
* Powdercoated Pipings
* Custom Down Pipe
* All hoses, Stalinless steel oil and return lines, t-clamps, bolts, washers, etc. included - EVERYTHING!

cnaman@ureach.com

Modified by bushdidit at 11:27 PM 4/19/2006
Old 04-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bushdidit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bushdidit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a drag kit for sale:

DRAG TURBO KIT

<U>Up for sale: Turbonetics Turbo kit</U>

* Turbonetics T3/T04b A/R .60
- Oil and Watercooled Turbo
- No Shaft Play (look at the turbin, aint no cheap turbo) compared to other turbos u see. [Paperwork provided to show proof it was rebuilt]. I'll try to scan it soon.
* Drag Manifold
* 2.5" downpipe
* Blitz Blow Off Valve
* 3X24X9 Front Mounted Intercooler
- Painted flat back on front | Can be turn around if you want the polish look
* Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate with washers and 3 springs
* New Moroso 5.5qt Aluminum Oil Pan & LS oil Pick Up - $250+ for this pan
* Greddy Oil Catch Can - new
* STR Fuel Rail with guage (red)
* SX Performance Fuel Pressure Regulator - new
* Blox 12:1 Gold FMU
* Manual Boost Controller
* Walbro brand new fuel pump kit
* Powdercoated Pipings
* Custom Down Pipe
* All hoses, Stalinless steel oil and return lines, t-clamps, bolts, washers, etc. included - EVERYTHING!

cnaman@ureach.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

what a noob, someone ban his ***.

ANYWAYS... this kit will do fine on a GSR motor. I'm using a SOHC kit on mine w/ an upgrade SFP manifold. Other then that its a basic drag kit w/ an upgraded fuel management. Its running strong on my B20B, but I'm planning to use it on my GSR motor I having waiting. NO SPIKING at all.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM

Default Re: (ek9vboi2)

im helping people out if they want a drag kit. they can get it from im in very good condition and for a good deal. plus it comes with a BIGGER intercooler, Moroso Oil pan, greddy catch tank, Walbro 255 fuel pump kit, STR fuel rail and SX performance FPR.....

These extras/upgrades you wont get in the Drag package deal.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1JDMDOMINICAN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, i plan on going stock internals for now and not boost more than 10 psi and i'm using Hondata with it anyway..would that be straight? would it be possible to hit more than 280 hp with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes sir it is. I made 351whp at 15psi with my drag kit. The boost issue is hit and miss....you can help fix it by just upgrading to a Tial wastegate (I think that's an option when you buy them). And also when people say it will damage your motor from spikes....it's because they are very likely untuned or have insufficient tuning devices. For example, with Hondata (and other systems) you have "Boost cut" which basically feels like hitting a rev limiter when your car sees too much boost. This prevents you from doing damage to your motor. And if you have issues, you can just tune with the boost creeps until you get a different wastegate or something. All in all its a good starter kit for modest power.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pros and Cons about DRAG GEN 3 Turbo kit for a B18C1...??? (1JDMDOMINICAN)

I was running a drag kit on my del sol but ive upgraded so many parts from it I should have just went custom ( DP, WG, manifold, fuel management, ect) ....but if you get a good deal on one go for it