Notices

'99 EX 5spd, looking to boost with intended goal in mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 EX 5spd, looking to boost with intended goal in mind

I've been doing some looking around and getting an idea for what kinda work this will require so I have an idea of what kind of cost I'm looking at and now just trying to get an idea of what exactly I should do to get close to what I want.

I'm looking at a '99 Civic EX sedan 5spd with 180k on it, very well maintained, clean and runs great. I want to keep the stock motor in it and just boost it, do some suspension and brake upgrades. My goal for this car will be around 200-250whp, I'm certain I'll be doing at LEAST a top end rebuild before I boost it simply due to age and miles.

That being said, what I was thinking is build a turbo kit mainly, Saab turbo's are plentiful around here and from what I was finding some of them will work with easily available manifolds. I was considering the AEM piggyback system as I have a local tuner that does a lot of work with those, therefore it would save me some $$$ for time tuning.

My goal here is to use this car as a DD and take it to the track and possibly even teach a few friends how to drive in it at the track who are interested.

Key points, I want fairly smooth throttle, I would like to maintain 35-40mpg cruising on the hwy at 70-75mph if possible. I know this can be done with turbo's I just don't fully understand everything about them, I'm willing to take the time to learn and I know how to do the physical work.

Just trying to get a finalized list of parts and vendors that I should consider to get this all in action as I'll probably be buying this car this weekend.

Lastly I didn't think an N/A build would be appropriate for my intended goals but if that is the case let me know.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: '99 EX 5spd, looking to boost with intended goal in mind

keep reading, got alot to learn, google is your friend.

single cams are tough, no need to rebuild if its running fine.

post up this AEM piggyback...

read read read.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
keep reading, got alot to learn, google is your friend.

single cams are tough, no need to rebuild if its running fine.

post up this AEM piggyback...

read read read.
I figured while it's all apart I may as well do at least head gasket up but figured I may have to do pistons as well.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/engine...oller-f-ic-12/

That's the AEM system, looks cheap and effective, figured being I'm looking looking for oodles of hp.

This is my stepping car after I'm done with this one I may boost my 330 as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

the AEM FIC is actually a nice system (much nicer than its original version,anyhow). fellow designer used it on his DD turbo CR-Z.

sounds like your goal is attainable, but expect other costs.