Notices

Project 2002 Honda insight -1.5 Fit Automatic Turbo: Insights Are Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project 2002 Honda insight -1.5 Fit Automatic Turbo: Insights Are Welcome

I am building my "ultimate commuter" which is a 2002 Honda insight, engine and trans is out of a 1.5L 2008 Honda Fit Sport automatic 5 speed with paddle shifters. Engine will remain mostly stock with the exception of Hondata Flash Pro, oil cooler, custom short runner intake manifold due to no clearance for the stock one, and of course a turbocharger. There will also be an adequate intercooler but not sure yet what kind until manifold is done and engine installed.

With exception of a rare drag strip visit just to know what she can do, this car will not be raced, launched etc. I am looking for an honest 150 BHP with a slightly higher capacity for the future. The less lag the better. Car will weigh right at 2000 pounds. Driven daily, Lowered on 195/45 15 Toyo Proxes TR1s. 95% freeway car which will be driven in normal traffic 99% of the time so drivability and reliability and cost are important.

Also know Im equipped to build my own manifold including custom flanges if needed.

The following is a list that I have been looking at that seem to fit the bill....
Please give an opinion of what you like best and also feel free to recommend one not on the list.

1. Garrett GT2554r BB water cooled $900+...... my first choice money not an issue Garrett GT2554R (aka GT25R) Ball Bearing Turbo : atpturbo.com

2.Garrett OEM GT22 oil cooled $427, I would be fine without BB and if the oil cooling is adequate, it would be nice not to have to add water cooling. great price. Company is all over eBay and has strong positive score but the company definitely from china and not a lot of online reviews of the model of turbo, googling the part numbers only brings you back to the one add so may be fishy NEW OEM Garrett GT22 Turbo Journal Bearing Oil Cooled T3 Flange 759638-5002S 759638-5002S, GT22 turbos, garrett [GT22] - $427.49 : TurboPark, Auto Park & Turbo Supply

3. Garret T28 BB OEM used JDM Nissan Silvia $500 slightly too large? Used is always a concern but oem is a plus NISSAN SR20DET S14 GARRETT T28 Ball Bearing TURBO / OEM SR20 Silvia 14411-69F00 eBay

4. Twisted Motion T25 clone $300 ....... Not garret but it IS balanced here and the rather successful company is local to me.
Web Store
Old 01-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Project 2002 Honda insight -1.5 Fit Automatic Turbo: Insights Are Welcome

Stick with the garrets, option #2 should be enough for your modest goals.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Project 2002 Honda insight -1.5 Fit Automatic Turbo: Insights Are Welcome

It seems like you've done a bit of research, but have you mapped these out? Garrett has compressor maps available online and all the info you need to plot correctly.

https://turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...ompressor_maps

-Amp
Old 01-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Garrett 2056
Old 01-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geis
Stick with the garrets, option #2 should be enough for your modest goals.
x2 Twisted motion is just a china charger stay away from it, personally I wouldnt buy any turbo off ebay either I suggest sticking to ATP

I personally ran that SR20 T28 on a 1.6 SOHC it was loads of fun, not laggy IMO full boost at 3k or so IIRC
Old 01-06-2017, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a GT2560R on my LS and it was a blast. I would say option 1, that would give you enough turbo for 220whpish.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want the quickest spool up get the Garrett 2056. Powerwise the compressor maps of the 2056, 2252 and 2560 are similar for your power goals. The smaller turbine is going to need more psi for the same whp compared to the larger.That´s the trade off for faster spoolup. If it´s a daily I would get the 2056 because you will be in the efficient area of the map most of the time. Remember you´re only 1.5 displacement.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can check the Garrett gt 2056 compressor map in atpturbo.com. It seems turbobygarrett.com deleted it. Any way you should check if the auto tranny can hold such high early torque.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by gabocastano
You can check the Garrett gt 2056 compressor map in atpturbo.com. It seems turbobygarrett.com deleted it. Any way you should check if the auto tranny can hold such high early torque.
Despite its popularity, they are looking to remove the turbocharger from the lineup. Dumb move, but very likely
Old 01-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Am I being naive or is this a scam? Garret GT2056 truck turbo

NEW OEM Garrett GT2056S Turbo Naveco Powerdaily 8140.43S Engine 751592-0005 eBay

Company is in CA, it seems like these are made by Garrett in china, for the chinese market. If so would it have the same characteristics as the one from APT but with funny flanges and oil cooling?
Old 01-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NEW OEM Garrett GT22 Turbo Journal Bearing Oil Cooled T3 Flange 759638-5002S | TurboPark

This it the same GT22 in the first post but on their own website, anyone aware of this company? If this turbo were to hold up at 7psi I would be satisfied, oil cooling seems nice but never seen it on a small turbo before.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2005 05 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION 8 OEM TURBOCHARGER TURBO CT9A EVO8 #379 | eBay

Sorry for these randoms, I had a tough time on this one because the only legit forum threads are people that are driven to race..... even the street cars. I want a very factory feel and I want reliability and I want cheap..... I want a lot I know. Even this EVO turbo would work but seem big? I don't know..... I DO know how to make a crazy flange though FWIW
Old 01-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You should stick to the recommendations made already.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
You should stick to the recommendations made already.

Well, There are a few GT20s in different configurations from cheap to not so cheap.... One of them sold by a company Im not familiar with so based on those recommendations I have more questions, also no-one mentioned anything else besides garret so Im brining that up as well.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Because factory-wise those are the best options based upon your strict criteria.

What other Forums and enthusiast sites have you tried? I think you've gotten all you can get here on suggestions.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:50 PM

There's no heat, Bongo., It's just that you're asking us to increasingly mentally stretch our brainstorming more into your lower budget ideas (Other than the Evo 8 16G6 which is about as quality as you're going to get.), and we're just not willing to invest the time any further into the lower budget cost without more on-board testimony (actual use of each turbo from these ideas you're getting). We're not going to lie to you or speculate. We're just kinda done going into it, until you've actually started doing some "mad scientist"-style testing yourself; meaning.. go ahead and try a few of these out first.

Regardless as to how you feel about the secularism of each question you've stated (and yes, we've understood you perfectly), It's time to tap multiple resources for your ideas and include what you've put together already. We keep pushing more of the Garrett ideas because many of them fit the size and utility constraints you're looking for in more universally housed systems. We don't delve into a lot of OEM turbine housing "frankenstein" types of turbo setups because that requires a lot more designing, modeling, and fabrication than we're honestly willing to perform and document. If you've got the tools and talent, now is your time to shine and contribute to your own process, and not just look to what we think. In the end, what we think is irrelevant. It's your project, start getting done.

No hate,, heat, throwing shade or ball-busting. No insults, or disrespect, just.... at a point where we have to stop talking about flying, and kick you out of the nest so you can spread your wings, fail, and then succeed. ..

So, Get to it, and get back to us about your feedback. ya know? We'll be here, no worries.

Last edited by TheShodan; 01-15-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Tough love approach to turbocharging.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project 2002 Honda insight -1.5 Fit Automatic Turbo: Insights Are Welcome

I have been looking at turbos for this for a good 6 months to a year, Ive read countless hours and Im kind of reaching for straws at this point, your right about the doing my own research part but understand there is no one to ask other than spending thousands to try all these turbos. I have actually asked questions on the DIY turbo forums and get zero. I did find out that Honeywell does in fact manufacture turbos in China but then that brings me back to the question is a 2056 made in china the same as the one ATP sells? Sorry if that is an unreasonable question but who do I ask? I have been reading this forum for 15ish years and it seems like a logical question yet THAT is where I get the heat from and ultimately my thread deleted.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Project 2002 Honda insight -1.5 Fit Automatic Turbo: Insights Are Welcome

Originally Posted by BongoBennie
I have been looking at turbos for this for a good 6 months to a year, Ive read countless hours and Im kind of reaching for straws at this point, your right about the doing my own research part but understand there is no one to ask other than spending thousands to try all these turbos. I have actually asked questions on the DIY turbo forums and get zero. I did find out that Honeywell does in fact manufacture turbos in China but then that brings me back to the question is a 2056 made in china the same as the one ATP sells? Sorry if that is an unreasonable question but who do I ask? I have been reading this forum for 15ish years and it seems like a logical question yet THAT is where I get the heat from and ultimately my thread deleted.
There's manufacture in Taiwan, and there is manufacturing in China. Location doesn't make much of a difference in the era of globalized manufacture, but the standards as to how consistent that manufacture process is, should be what is important to you. Not just where.

To directly answer your question, Any of those turbos can be have some of its components manufactured in one country, assembled in another country, and shipped from a third country. It doesn't usually go by turbo part number, but sometimes it can. For example. You can have the castings molded in Taiwan (Different from China, get a map and look at some history before you conclude "same thing, different name" like many Americans), full units assembled and tested in MexiCali, and shipped from there to a U.S. distribution center.

Only the logistics team at Honeywell will be able to answer that question, and you're not going to be able to call them to find out. If you don't want to do Garrett, then don't. But don't be surprised if you get the same answers from Holset, Volvo (Now owned by a Chinese conglomerate), Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Precision, or Turbonetics (Now both under one umbrella). The only completely in-house manufacture and design turbocharger facility as of recent years is IHI (Ishikawa Harima-Heavy Industries) which now has a U.S. facility. So, basically, you'd want to find an OEM Subaru VF39/ VF48 as your best stock alternatives, if this is the path you really want to take this.

The question of "where it's made" is not so simple anymore. Hasn't been for 15 years.

That's like going to store that is known to sell highly marketable clothing, and all have tags of "Made in (not the U.S.A.) still on it. Are you still going to buy it? Or go somewhere else if the consistency of the fabric is fine to you? Stop this "made in China" discrimination, because honestly, a lot more is made over there than you want to realize.

Honeywell Turbo Technologies has facilities in Taiwan, China, Japan, and the U.S.A. The overall concern is consistency of manufacture. If you think that location is the only criteria you have to compare against the eBay cheapo versions of these turbos, then, you've got a lot to learn about how manufacture works.

In the meantime, if you want to avoid the "Chinese knock-off" stuff, stay away from CX-Racing, Hinmi-Racing, and similar companies that bank on eBay to do the majority of their sales. Not because of being made overseas, but because of their lack of consistent manufacturing standards.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mind blown! I have a carbon frame bike and an Apple everything, great Chinese stuff for sure. Thank you for the time man, i appreciate it.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, after some more research (learning to read compressor maps etc) and accepting the $1000 price range I Have narrowed it down to two units. The GT2052 which seems to have the ideal compressor map for my goals but only oil cooling and journal bearings vs the GT2554r which is slightly bigger but BB as well as water cooled, the price difference is small but neither is cheap so I want to pic the right one. Again, my goals are a very smooth, responsive, and crisp power band, 130ish whp and 6500rpm redline (quickest spool!)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:42 AM

GT2554R is a nice choice. It truly is for this type of displacement.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GT2554r thanks for the help.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 PM

Nice!!!!
Old 08-08-2021, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Summer heat wave cooling "R&D", after trying a new aftermarket OEM replacement we hit 115°F days and car struggled, in the end I went with the 2858X CSF Civic dual core which comes with SPAL fan, I upgraded it to the 1325CFM unit, Also moved the heat exchanger up some to give radiator a bit of direct air..... now, it runs very cool even on the hottest days!!

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-11-2021, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts

What are you intake temps like with that water to air? I have one on a 7MGTE but no way to monitor it on that 100 year old ECU.

Quick Reply: Project 2002 Honda insight -1.5 Fit Automatic Turbo: Insights Are Welcome