Notices

Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary

Ok, I did all the foglights install today, didn't touch any of the engine stuff, didn't connect any wires.
Then after around 2 hours, I went out and started my car, it was pretty hard to start, but it started without any problems, no sound, normal driving for around 15 mins, no problems at all.

After picking up my gf, then i boosted for a little bit of my car in first and second gear, and I didn't redline it (maybe I did, but I am 90% sure I didn't), then drove around 5 mins, the car started to act strange....

The car bogs... the exhaust made strange sound, very scary that I thought I blew my engine, i pulled over, checked the engine bay, no oil, but i can hear something very LOUD sound, it's like "pa pa pa pa pa", and i think it's coming out from the engine or turbo... ****....

so i restarted the car, still acts the same, sometimes the idle drops to zero but didn't stall...

i went home park my car, no sound at engine bay, BUT the exhaust makes a strange sound, it's like somthing's poping..... *pop pop pop*

no obvious color smoke...

what can happen?? help please !!

i am very very scared !!!

thank you!
Old 02-15-2003, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (TurBoXBirD16)

i think the foglight install was unrelated
it sounds liek one of ur cylinders is not firing for somereason (could be a vlave)
so check ur plugs and do a compression check and thn a leakdown test
good luck
Old 02-15-2003, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (DevilSolSi)

so... you guys think this would be a BIG problem??

thanks
Old 02-15-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (DevilSolSi)

Check your spark plugs are they gapped to small all wide, is your battery to small perhaps ....?Goodluck
Old 02-16-2003, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (turbozxi)

maybe u bent a valve when u redlined it?
Old 02-16-2003, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (turbod16y8)

alright, i can't wait, i keep thinking about the car, and it's already 3 AM, i thought it was pretty cold outside, but it's only - 9 degrees, so I went down and checked out my car..

here is what i found:

By looking at the first one on the right, it's touching.. damn it
I replaced these BCPR7E-11 with ZFR7F-11

When I put in these BCPR7E-11, I re-gapped them to around 0.035 if i remember correctly... and I have no idea how it caused this to happen !!

I have been using ZFR7F-11 before I use BCPR7E-11, and it has no problems, that's why I put them back on again !

I checked my compression all around 160 with cold engine.
I started the car, everything went back to normal !!

But can soembody tell me what caused this to happen??

thanks everybody !

Edit: By the way, are the other 3 plugs look okay??

[Modified by TurBoXBirD16, 3:34 AM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (TurBoXBirD16)

What kind of gas are you running in it? You should replace the plugs, and definetly do a compression check. The only thing I can think of that would do that to the plug (besides if you dropped it while taking it out or putting it in) is a piston tapping it. But depending on what engine and pistons you have that could be impossible. More than likely you dropped that plug into the hole a little hard during your last install.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (Sleepin')

The bent prong means you detonated very violently and the piston slapped the plug. The sputter you now have in the engine is because you have ring damage. Another indication that you have ring damage is the oil on the plug threads. Do not boost on your car again until you get it checked out. This exact same thing happened to me, but hey, $5200.00 later and I have a sick *** fully built motor now.

[Modified by 99GSRT, 5:38 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (99GSRT)

i shouldn't boost???

i did a compression test out and it was fine....

what do i need to check out again??

thank you

Oh, also, would it actually caused by me gapping it wrong??

[Modified by TurBoXBirD16, 1:11 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (99GSRT)

The bent prong means you detonated very violently and the piston slapped the plug.
Impossible. First off, that plug doesn't sit that low in the chamber. Count the threads and then go count the threads on your plugs... I dunno about you, but he has the same number of threads as the plug that I just pulled out of my Z6. Second of all, if the piston hit it, it would have to smash through the valves and head because the plug sits in the middle of the pent- roof chamber, the highest point in the combustion chamber. Also, Z6 pistons have a dish to 'em, so in order for the piston to hit the plug, it would pretty much have to go right through the head. As for detonation causing it to hit, also impossible. Detonation pushes the piston down. Not up. And detonation wouldn't bend the plug because there would be equal pressure on all sides of the electrode. Think about that for a second if it doesn't make sense right away.

The sputter you now have in the engine is because you have ring damage.
No, the sputter is the engine running on three cylinders because the bent plug isn't making any spark.

Another indication that you have ring damage is the oil on the plug threads.
If his compression test checks out OK, which he says it does, then the oil is most likely coming from a leaky valve cover gasket. If he's got bad rings causing oil to get into the combustion chamber, how come the electrodes on that plug aren't pitch black and oily, and also, wouldn't he be seeing blue smoke?

Old 02-16-2003, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (Loco Honkey)

The bent prong means you detonated very violently and the piston slapped the plug.

Impossible. First off, that plug doesn't sit that low in the chamber. Count the threads and then go count the threads on your plugs... I dunno about you, but he has the same number of threads as the plug that I just pulled out of my Z6. Second of all, if the piston hit it, it would have to smash through the valves and head because the plug sits in the middle of the pent- roof chamber, the highest point in the combustion chamber. Also, Z6 pistons have a dish to 'em, so in order for the piston to hit the plug, it would pretty much have to go right through the head. As for detonation causing it to hit, also impossible. Detonation pushes the piston down. Not up. And detonation wouldn't bend the plug because there would be equal pressure on all sides of the electrode. Think about that for a second if it doesn't make sense right away.

No, the sputter is the engine running on three cylinders because the bent plug isn't making any spark.

If his compression test checks out OK, which he says it does, then the oil is most likely coming from a leaky valve cover gasket. If he's got bad rings causing oil to get into the combustion chamber, how come the electrodes on that plug aren't pitch black and oily, and also, wouldn't he be seeing blue smoke?
couldnt agree with you anymore

about the bent prong, weird. maybe its just a defective spark plug...**** happens sometimes.

I have the blue box, and i have zero detonation. the blue box is great for plug it in and leave it type of applications like myself. and its designed to pass smog...so yeah its good enough IMO
Old 02-16-2003, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (Loco Honkey)

wow, thanks very very much for letting me knowing that.. this calms me down alot !!!

Now... I have been thinking and thinking the problem..

not much i can really think of, BUT, would it caused by WRONG PLUGS??

did i use the wrong spark plugs?? is this for my car??

I remember somebody said this for my car.... BCPR7E-11.. can somebody make sure if this is for Z6??

thank you !!
Old 02-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bent prong means you detonated very violently and the piston slapped the plug. The sputter you now have in the engine is because you have ring damage. Another indication that you have ring damage is the oil on the plug threads. Do not boost on your car again until you get it checked out. This exact same thing happened to me, but hey, $5200.00 later and I have a sick *** fully built motor now.

thats so incredibly wrong.
it was already said but thats IMPOSSIBLE to do unless the piston went through the valves and head. the plug is recessed away from the combustion chamber.

if the compression test checked out i would just replace the plugs and not worry too much.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BCPR7E-11.. can somebody make sure if this is for Z6??
That's what I use in my Z6.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:59 PM

alright

i should have used the plug's stock gap instead of regapping them then

thanks alot guys !
Old 02-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what i think you did was when you install them you might have dropped them in crush it. if you simply just drop the plug into the spark plug hole you might have did this on accident no biggy from my opinion.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (tvrsir)

could be a manufacturers defect.. I would just trow that away and get new ones..
Old 02-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright

i should have used the plug's stock gap instead of regapping them then

thanks alot guys !
I'd use .035" or .044" if you have an aftermarket ignition or Hondata/ AEM EMS.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:13 PM

hey guys
like i said at the posts above, i replaced my spark plugs with ZFR7F-11

now there is a problem, there is a sound when i step on the gas...
it's like air leaking sound..
i thought it was my charge pipes, but i checked them, they are fine...

the engine drives fine, everything is fine, it's just that *air leaking* annoying sound when i step on my gas....

When i go in to boost, the sound sort of disappear.... maybe my turbo spooling sound over ride the sound..

but i just have a feeling that it's my first cylinder... but i checked the spark plugs and compression again today... they are fine...

plz help

thanks alot !
Old 02-19-2003, 08:45 AM

anybody plz?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a leak down test.. If the cars driving fine you are probably being paranoid, what did you gap those plugs to?? .32 is what I would of. The air rushing sound could just be air coming in through your air intake do you have a metal intake pipe?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I vote leaky valve cover gasket.

30 degree section of broken ring land on #1 piston, between the compression rings = spy hunter smoke screen under boost. Drove it like that for ~8K miles, has a minor scratch in the bore that a .25mm overhone would fix. Very low boost, high mileage setup.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:15 AM

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!!! ROFLMAO

I'm sorry guys, really I am... I just couldn't help it.

BTW
99GSRT, if you're reading this, I wear an APC watch with a carbon fiber face on it.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary (turbozxi)

Do a leak down test.. If the cars driving fine you are probably being paranoid, what did you gap those plugs to?? .32 is what I would of. The air rushing sound could just be air coming in through your air intake do you have a metal intake pipe?
i leave the plugs at stock gap

i have alumunized pipes
Old 02-19-2003, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Detonation pushes the piston down. Not up.
The rod is swinging upwards pushing the piston up, the force of the preignition is applying immense pressure to the face of the piston in a downward manner, but ultimatley what happens is the piston is violently 'bouncing' side to side off the cylinder walls as the two forces counteract with each other hence the metalic "ping" you hear during detonation.

BTW, 99GSRT, that was funny..

[Modified by VTC_boost-less_CiViC, 5:12 PM 2/19/2003]

Quick Reply: Problems with Sohc Turbo, or any engine.. strange and scary