Notices

Problems with MAC valve in Neptune setup.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problems with MAC valve in Neptune setup.

Ok...got everything setup in the car. The BCS is plumbed and wired correctly verified it like 15 times. I got the new Hondata valve and this is the first time being used. With boost control turned off in Neptune, and it being a normally open valve it should always revert to wastegate pressure but always spikes over 20+lbs with a 9lbs spring in the gate. When i pull the line off going to the solenoid and blow in it, its closed off and not allowing boost to escape, which is how it should be. I have it wired and plumbed just like the pic below. When i go straight from the compressor housing to the bottom port of the gate it goes to 9lbs. What am i doing wrong? Ive checked with the car running and the solenoid is still closed on port 1 and i cant blow through it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Problems with MAC valve in Neptune setup.

mac valves are normally closed and 100% would mean fully open
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Logic check: The ports that connect from boost source (1) to the vent port (3) should be connected when the solenoid is off (disconnected). Verify by blowing through these ports.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant blow through port 1 at any time. I unhooked the power to the BCS and the car went to 9lbs. So now its an electrical issue. Does anyone know if the "enable boost control" box has to be checked in Neptune just to get it to run off of Spring pressure?
Old 02-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a normally open valve, the one that Locash and Hondata send when you order one so if the valve fails its supposed to go back to spring pressure.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a1320honda
I cant blow through port 1 at any time.
Ok in your case port 1, is probably the switched port and its normally closed when not energized. It's most likely switched between whatever # port is in the center. If you were to energize the bcs port 1 should now be open.

Your port 1 goes to the top of wastegate. Whatever port it switches with will be the vent. And the last one remaining should always be open, that is the source.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

figured out its plumbed right. When i unhook the power wires for the solenoid with it all plumbed it goes to 9lbs. So its all right. Just trying to figure out if its something in Neptune. I know in S300 if you dont turn on the boost control feature it just goes off of spring pressure.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the mac valve and in my S300 i have it set to normally closed 100% equals full boost and it works just fine
Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have neptune and use the same mac valve. I originally had the same problems you described when setting it up...
What turbo-ls is describing is correct. In neptune check the "invert" box on on the PWM setup and use the 25Hz setting. With a 0 duty cycle you will go off wastegate spring, 100 will be max boost.

I also had issues with using -3 an lines to feeding the gate. I needed more air flow to keep the gate open, -4 works perfectly fine. Just make sure your using at least a 1/4" line or bigger.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
OneBadTurboCRV

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
mac valves are normally closed and 100% would mean fully open
You MUST understand that MAC valves are just a name brand just like Crescent wrenches or Channel Locks... they have real names. It is just a solenoid operated directional valve. It can be normally open or closed depending on the part number... like most electrical things.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by citrus3000psi
I have neptune and use the same mac valve. I originally had the same problems you described when setting it up...
What turbo-ls is describing is correct. In neptune check the "invert" box on on the PWM setup and use the 25Hz setting. With a 0 duty cycle you will go off wastegate spring, 100 will be max boost.

I also had issues with using -3 an lines to feeding the gate. I needed more air flow to keep the gate open, -4 works perfectly fine. Just make sure your using at least a 1/4" line or bigger.
So in Neptune, with everything for the boost controller turned off or nothing checked, the BCS wont just stay closed and run off of spring pressure? I got the valve from Locash and was told to run it on 31hz. Neptune is all new to me.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

31hz is correct. I had a little troubles getting my mac correct in Neptune. If you want to test it to see if it's working electrically with engine off key on. use the hold psi pressure feature Under Boost settings to get it to "buzz" also if you search HR tunings forum their is a ton of info on getting your boost controls to work.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by a1320honda
So in Neptune, with everything for the boost controller turned off or nothing checked, the BCS wont just stay closed and run off of spring pressure? I got the valve from Locash and was told to run it on 31hz. Neptune is all new to me.
I looked up my mac valve part number and found the documentation for it online. It was listed as 25hz. I suggest you do the same and verify the frequency.

neptune has two sections for boost controllers.

The boost control section is for boost control vales like: http://www.3barracing.com/product_2.htm

You want the "PWM setup" On that screen if "Enable PWM" is unchecked this the car should go off the wastegate spring. Think about it: on the mac solenoid. Port 2 & 3 are connected when the solenoid isn't energized. Port 2 runs to the top side of the gate. So when the solenoid isn't energized the top of the gate sees atmospheric pressure.
When the solenoid is energized, pressure is added to the top side of the gate, therefore increasing the required amount of psi from the bottom side of the gate to open up.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was able to verify that it worked by doing what fcluddington said to do. So its just playing with everything in the software. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
You MUST understand that MAC valves are just a name brand just like Crescent wrenches or Channel Locks... they have real names. It is just a solenoid operated directional valve. It can be normally open or closed depending on the part number... like most electrical things.
I understand this sir. Please dont try and school me. The HONDATA branded "MAC" valve or solenoid operated valve is normally closed. GM valves are normally open. Yes you can purchase a "MAC" valve that is normally open but honodata's arent that style. Ive had hondata. aem and straight mac all same part numbers "macs number" and all normally closed.

Further more keeping it set as normally open and inverting it is the same as just setting it up as normally closed. I'm not familiar with neptunes software so they may only have a normally open setting and you are forced to set the invert button on to make it work that way im not sure. If this is the case then i understand completely.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a1320 pleaselisten to turbols. That mac valve that you have is normally closed. you have to check the invert box. Any time that you're building boost uncontrollably, you must check the invert box. Run it at 31 hz and go from there. Listen to turbols, what he said was right. Here's a shot of my neptune settings with the standard hondata/mac valve.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29931189@N04/8516598130/http://www.flickr.com/photos/29931189@N04/8516598130/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/29931189@N04/, on Flickr
Old 03-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well...bringing this back....been a ton of issues with everything so far. Not neptune wise, but with the car.

1st
Got the turbo (Precision 6262 JB) used and while trying to figure out everything realized the things was smoking a little and as we went on tuning, it was getting slowly worse. Turbo took a dump. And in the meantime figured out that my AFI ramhorn with a Tial 44mm gate likes to creep pretty bad up to about 16lbs when its just running off the wastegate (9lb spring). Got a different 62mm billet turbo on it and still having creep issues.

So...with it the gate taking signal straight from the turbo to the wastegate it gets to 10lbs and starts to creep and hold off to 15-16lbs by 9000rpm.

But with everything hooked up like it should be using the wastegate top port and solenoid it will do everything the same, except at about 7500, its like a switch flips and goes over 25.

The only box's checked are "enable PWM" and "invert (check for normally closed)"

Hold duty cycle is at 0. If i change that to anything it straight goes to 25+
Hold this load (PSI) is at 0
Freq is at 31 HZ

In the gear target PWM screen, all the duty cycle for above PSI is at 0.

It just seems like if i change anything it spikes over 25+ adn with it run off of spring pressure it does what its supposed to do till 7500ish and then spikes uncontrollably.

Last edited by a1320honda; 03-07-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So Kaizen will tune on Neptune? This is good to know because they will be doing my tune soon and I have Neptune, although I haven't messed with the boost controller stuff yet. One of the things I gotta figure out before I go to them.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im sure Reid will tune just about anything but Crome. But hes not doing my tuning or anything. He has just helped me out in the past with help and parts. If your referring to KS being in my signature that is.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep that's where I got it lol. Are you just street tuning then?
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For now, getting everything dialed in so it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg on the dyno.