Notices

Problems!!! Has anyone on here shimmed up the oil pump spring on turbo cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2001, 07:31 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems!!! Has anyone on here shimmed up the oil pump spring on turbo cars?

Turbo's take oil away from the engine. To fight this robbery, we shimmed up the spring from the oil pump outlet to increase the engines overall oil pressure. Problem is this. We think it's going too high. Has anyone else done this and found out a reasonable amount of pressure for the system?

Here's what happened.

This morning was the lowest temp weather my cr has seen with the new engine. I cranked it and it started right up, and made GOBS of oil pressure. Like 5-5.5 BAR of pressure <GReddy gauge> at about 1500-2000 rpm warmup idle. Car started blowing fairly healthily some blue oil smoke. Possibly blowing oil through the turbo seals or the headgasket and into the combustion chamber?

Anyone know what kind of oil pressure is too much for a stock headgasket? I think we're going to drop the oilpan this weekend and remove a good bit of the shimming, but we need to know if the shimming is actually required, or suggested.

Any comments?

BTW, after the car warmed up to normal levels, the oil pressure sits at about 10 PSI at idle, and runs up to aout 4 bar at 3500 rpm. It's almost JUST like a tachometer to the highest break in rpm's I use at this point.

Please help!
Old 11-20-2001, 08:26 AM
New User

Default Re: Problems!!! Has anyone on here shimmed up the oil pump spring on turbo cars? (SiR Kid)

Please?? Anyone?!

I'm in NEED!!!
Old 11-20-2001, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems!!! Has anyone on here shimmed up the oil pump spring on turbo cars? (SiR Kid)

never thought of shimming, all i do know is that our stock oil pump gears shatter at high rpm, the gear cavitates at high rpm and pressure and fractures into a billion bits, the volume of oil to turbo is really minimal, its just under some pressure. just worry about the gear breaking, I think spoon makes one for way too much $$$. I had one made by a shop out here for 50$
Old 11-20-2001, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something doesn't sound right. You say you're going to remove a "good bit" of the shimming"? One .030-.060 shim should be more than enough. I run a turbo'd race car at 9000+ rpms with no shim or oil problems. The shim should be installed at the bottom part of the spring (next to the plug that holds the spring in place). I assume you are using a good multi-weight oil for your cold weather. Excessive oil pressure will not blow your head gasket but it can push oil thru spots that could cause smoke. You can run an extra pint of oil in your engine to make up for oil robbed by the turbo but the Honda oil pump is pretty good at keeping up with pressure needs.
Old 11-20-2001, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Problems!!! Has anyone on here shimmed up the oil pump spring on turbo cars? (earl)

1st off..your crazy touching the oil pump..like earl says..nothing wrong with a good working honda pump..supplies plenty of pressure...you are causing some problems with too much pressure..either head is pooling up oil on top side causing oil to run pass the valve seals..or oil is blowing by turbo seals in the turbo center section...or i believe that engine you got got oil squirters for underside of piston,that could effect it too.also..one other thing,hope it dont get too cold down there..cause oil filter can burst......if you really dont want to touch oil pump...try a lighter oil like 5w30 or 10w30 and make it synthetic pref mobil 1.

[Modified by D-Man, 7:22 PM 11/20/2001]
Old 11-20-2001, 10:32 AM
New User

Default Re: Problems!!! Has anyone on here shimmed up the oil pump spring on turbo cars? (D-Man)

I'm running Castrol Dino 10w30 right now for break in. I never had any problems with one "washer" used as a shim on the spring all motor. Must be the turbo...

Hmm thanks for hte replies guys, I think I'll pull out the washer/shim this weekend and roll out.

Whats normal oil pressure at say redline 8k in a b16a with a type r oil pump? anyone know?

Old 11-20-2001, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm... I don't think it's a good idea. We already pump too much pressure into the turbo at stock levels from what I hear.

and I know one person who messed with his oil pump pressure relief spring and all he ended up doing was spinning main and rod bearings on two fully built motors.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:20 PM
New User

Default Re: Problems!!! Has anyone on here shimmed up the oil pump spring on turbo cars? (MarkC)

Ok.... That ******* shim is COMING OUT this weekend! Thank for the info guys.