Notices

probe forged pistons anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default probe forged pistons anyone??

does anyone have any info. on probe forged pistons? is there anyone using them and are they good for forced induction? I currently have 8.8:1 Probe forged pistons w/ JE piston rings, but don't have much info to go off of. I want to use them but I want to make sure that they are going to hold up without problems. I don't want to buy another set of pistons. so I don't want to hear about CP, Aries, JE or any other companies because I already know about them. this is the part number: 11375-Std

Straight from probe industries website:
**SPORTSMAN RACE SERIES**

Probe SRS Forged Pistons are designed for performance and race applications where a strong, lightweight forged piston is an advantage. With well over 200 part numbers now in stock for popular Chevrolet, Ford, Chrysler, and Honda/Acura applications, these full-featured pistons are extremely popular for use in street and most racing combinations.

Forged of 2618 t-61 Aluminum alloy for the ultimate strength and fatigue resistance.
Light weight forging designs for quick revs and power.
Tight piston to wall clearance design for better ring seal.
Fully CNC machined domes and valve reliefs for perfect fit.
Radial Anti Detonation Grooves reduce detonation by clipping pressure spikes.
Pressure Equalization Channel enhances ring seal, making more power and increasing fuel economy.
Full floated lightweight wrist pins and double spiro locks for durability.
Narrow piston rings for the ultimate in power.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (smoovy)

anyone in H-T? theres gotta be at least one. I've searched, and not many people know much but maybe there may be someone. c'mon man!!!

Old 05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
New User

Well on another forum Probe offered FREE PISTONS to some engine builders on that site. I am building a GSR block now BUT I wanted to get my old B16A block up temporarily until I got all the stuff for the other one. This one engine builder and I asked for a set of Pistons from Probe and the engine builder told me they declined to offer a set since I was going to be at 700whp or more and was told that was too much power for there pistons. This is what I am being told by a good engine builder I know I never spoke to Probe myself BUT they also never replied back to me when I told them what I was building and my goals and I wanted some pistons. I know some Mustang Engine builders and they said they would rather not build a motor with Probe pistons in it, again not from me BUT an engine builder I spoke with here in VA who has done alot of Mustang builds. So that is my experience(noen personally) with what people have told me so far.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (Boostfed.com)

do you talk to those guys at MAS? they build alot of mustangs

I was told that the set-up with the eagle rods and these 8.8:1 probe pistons would hold up to 650HP. that's just what I was told through a engine builder, but there are not alot of people using them and would like to see a success with these if there is.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:16 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smoovy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you talk to those guys at MAS? they build alot of mustangs

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I am very good friends with them, GREAT SHOP! They now have a dyno too. I sell parts to them occasionally too

It wasn't them who told me about the Probe pistons BUT another local shop here. How do you know about MAS?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used to live there in Va beach and I have my cousins and freinds out there still.
big bob sold me some head that he said had alot of stuff that it didn't. I did deal with alot of shops out there and most of them are skandulous. there is no difference ou tin SD either, same ****, different place.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:33 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smoovy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used to live there in Va beach and I have my cousins and freinds out there still.
big bob sold me some head that he said had alot of stuff that it didn't. I did deal with alot of shops out there and most of them are skandulous. there is no difference ou tin SD either, same ****, different place.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everywhere!!!! Yeah I know Big Bob.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up anyone with experience with these pistons? I was thinking to send these off to swaintech to have them coated top and skirts. but anyone with info. on these pistons?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smoovy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">up anyone with experience with these pistons? I was thinking to send these off to swaintech to have them coated top and skirts. but anyone with info. on these pistons?</TD></TR></TABLE>don't take this the wrong way but there is an old saying that you can't polish a turd.
I'm sure the pistons are adequate but not very many people run them in Hondas
Old 05-21-2005, 09:41 AM
New User

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't take this the wrong way but there is an old saying that you can't polish a turd.
I'm sure the pistons are adequate but not very many people run them in Hondas</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't take this the wrong way but there is an old saying that you can't polish a turd.
I'm sure the pistons are adequate but not very many people run them in Hondas</TD></TR></TABLE>

none taken, but if no one knows much about these then how are you going to say it's a turd? This is what I want to know. facts!!! and not well we decided not to use them on our set-up and my freind has a freind who's cousins bother's uncle has this and says it's a turd.
Importbuilders.com use these pistons in there set-ups and they don't have any problems that I know of, I just want to see who here is running them.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:38 PM
New User

SOrry actually I do know someone with a HONDA who has run them. Made 235whp All Motor LS/VTEC ran all year last year with luck. BUT AGAIN it was an All Motor car and not REAL HIGH compression, they did OK with no problems. I have been told to stay away from them for Froced Induction and Probe themselves told my engine builder for 700whp they wouldn't be good.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had probes way back when...

the ******* fell apart at 315 whp...and the tunning was dead on with a great a/f and a good timing map..
Old 05-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (99Hybrid_Hatch)

hey thanks guys, I have decided to sell them. I can't believe I bought this crap( what was I thinking?) I'm looking past these pistons, what other pistons out there would be a great combination with my eagle rods? low compression for boost. I'm thinking JE but are SRP good too? I know about CP too, but not much about wiseco as far as boost. thanks everyone, I don't even feel comfortable with those pistons in my house now!!! Bitch be gone!!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The JE is much better than the SRP.
I love CP, of course.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wiseco, JE, CP

you cant go wrong with either of these pistons.....all have been proven to make and take power!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (non-VTEC)

thanks guys
Old 05-22-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (non-VTEC)

When Earl talks listen

From everything I have read, i would only use Weisco or CP pistons. Since they all cost about the same i see no real reason to choose one or the other. SRP is like a chevy vs GMC, its the low grade JE piston (right?)

Weisco makes the strongest/lightest pistons.

CP has the tighest tolerances during manufacturing.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: probe forged pistons anyone?? (Si Shane)

haha I thought this thread was about ford probe pistons for a second there!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:17 PM
New User

Arias, Wiseco, CP, JE or Ross pistons all
Old 05-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boostfed.com)

I'm really looking into CP pistons for my set-up. 9:1 std bore