Notices

Probably a very, very stupid question about SS oil returns (bought from stan)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 01:25 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a very, very stupid question about SS oil returns (bought from stan)

wow, I kind of don't even want to type this, lol, but how the heck do i put this thing together?

I'm assuming i remove the red cap from the blue fitting, put the cap onto the SS line, shove the blue barb/fitting into the hose, and screw the red/blue pieces together securing the line, but it seems the hose with braid is too thick to fit into the red cap. So, what do i do? Just soap it up and force it?

Sorry if this is a really, really dumb post, would just rather be safe than have my oil return fall apart on me

EDIT: i've been told by some people on other forums i need to cut the braiding off of the hose in the sections it's going to be in the fitting, is this true?

Here's a pic so you know what color pieces i'm talking about:
Old 11-09-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Probably a very, very stupid question about SS oil returns (DC2BAR)

There are installation instructions on http://www.goodridge.net in the catalog, on http://www.holley.com in the Earl's section, and there are also instructions in the Aeroquip catalog (if you can find the online PDF...I don't even remember how I got mine). I'm sure XRP and Russell have their own instructions as well.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:37 PM
New User

Default Re: Probably a very, very stupid question about SS oil returns (IN VTEC)

cool, thanks! found it in the goodridge catalog. So i'm supposed to leave the masking tape on correct?
Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Probably a very, very stupid question about SS oil returns (DC2BAR)

make sure you have a nice cut at the end of your braided hose. If you have a hack saw, use a piece of tape around the braid to cut through. After you take off the red cap, lube up the tapered blue end with oil (this will help it slide into the hose easier). Best way would be to fix the red end in a vice with the hose inserted, then slide the blue fitting into place and tighten. Make sure to keep the hose fully inserted as you tighen down the fitting or else the hose will just creep out.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my kits from stan came with detailed instructions
Old 11-09-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

It can be a pain in the *** but if youre not gonna be doing it all the time you dont need to buy the tool. Just keep the cuts clean, make sure its on tight and be ready to stab your fingers a bunch of times. You can put some soap on the inside of the hose and on the part that goes in to it but make sure you clean it out after.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:24 PM
New User

Default Re: (TurboCoop)

damn im already getting flash backs of bloody fingers and knuckles.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (01geeser)

You get used to it after you've put on five or so hose-ends. Every now and then a -4 or a -3AN hose-end will give me a hard time.

The cutter tool is the best tool to use for the cleanest cuts.

I usually use electrical tape to hold down the braid when I cut and then peel it out after I've gotten the socket partially onto the braided hose.