Notices

Prob a dumb questions but want to make sure. On the cold side of my turbo there is

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prob a dumb questions but want to make sure. On the cold side of my turbo there is

a hole with threads in it but nothing in that hole. I belive you would put a fitting in here for your boost guage. Anyway when I took off my turbo and manifold today to tap the manfold for the EGT I noticed this hole on my turbo was not plugged and when all the way through. Shouldn't I have a plug in that so I am not loosing pressure through that hole? I could be totally off on this but I just want to make sure. TIA
Old 10-04-2003, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Prob a dumb questions but want to make sure. On the cold side of my turbo there is (underpressu

Is it an internal wastegate? A couple turbos I've seen have fittings here for the int. wastegate.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Prob a dumb questions but want to make sure. On the cold side of my turbo there is (underpressu

you can buy a brass nipple....probably like 1/8NPT and use it for a vacuum source.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're not gonna get vacuum from that source. You can plug it up with a plug from your hardware store. I think it's a 1/8th npt.

Or you can use it for a boost gauge, but you won't be able to read vacuum from it.

If you have a Greddy Profec B boost controller, one of the lines can hook up to it (boost before the throttle plate)
Old 10-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on drag and rev hard turbo kits that hole(in the compressor housing) they use it for the wastegate.. you can buy plugs at your local hardware store (1/8 npt) or you can get the "Bling" earls anadized allen head plugs from your local speedshop.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:22 PM

I'd just plug it.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:17 PM

I run my wastegate off that line. Seems to me it is the first place to see 15psi of boost so I want my wastegate to see it first too. Plus your not tee'ing (sp?) into a bunch of other lines on the manifold.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Double121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run my wastegate off that line. Seems to me it is the first place to see 15psi of boost so I want my wastegate to see it first too. Plus your not tee'ing (sp?) into a bunch of other lines on the manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the problem with that is that your gonna get pressure drop through the intercooler....

you have 15 psi @ the compressor housing but you might actually only have 12 psi in the intake manifold.

run the wastegate to the intake manifold and see if ya notice a differance.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:43 AM

Well my boost guage is off the vacuum on the manifold and it reads 15psi so I am pretty sure I am getting 15 into the manifold. Like you said with the pressure drop I am probably getting more than 15psi coming out of the turbo initially. I just prefer to hook it up this way so the vaccum line isn't as long and there aren't so many devices using up vaccum sources.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll definetly notice more power gains if you run the wastegate to the manifold because of boost drop from the piping and intercooler
Old 10-05-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

&gt;&gt;&gt;You'll definetly notice more power gains if you run the wastegate to the &gt;&gt;&gt;manifold because of boost drop from the piping and intercooler

This doesn't make any sense. Yes, if you have a non-adjustable wastegate and no boost controller then you'd have more boost if you ran off the manifold. Obviously, there are pressure drops in each pipe, intercooler, etc, so the port on the compressor housing has the highest boost level, and the manifold has the lowest. You definately want your boost gauge reading off the manifold, because that's what the engine is seeing, but having the extra length of tubing to the wastegate seems like a bad idea to me.
I did a lot of testing and development to improve the transient response of my setup (for autocross), and I found the the length of tubing from the compressor to the wastegate was critical for quick and consistant boost. I use a ball/spring MBC and a two stage solenoid to have two boost levels, and I had to really keep everything short to get it to respond like I wanted. I couldn't get it to respond quick enough with an extra foot of tubing, so I can't even imagine how it would feel running all the way from the manifold.

-Chris

Old 10-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the wastegate will open up a lot sooner if its connected at the turbo, that's what I meant by more power
Old 10-05-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRV Monster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the wastegate will open up a lot sooner if its connected at the turbo, that's what I meant by more power</TD></TR></TABLE>

you'd lose power if the wastegate opens sooner.

running it off the turbo WITH a boost controller is fine, as long as the boost guage is hooked up to the manifold, that way you can regulate boost according to the level your motor is actually seeing.

If you don't have a boost controller, run it off the manifold and plug the turbo port.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:43 AM

that hole you are looking at might have a set screw in the very bottom, IHI turbos have a set screw in them that holds the 2nd part of the compressor housing where the turbine fits through... they put that there so it can be taken in half and polished

I would imagine a lot of turbos have somethin like this but maybe in different places
Old 10-05-2003, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. Here is what I did today. I ran my boost guage to that part on the turbo and I do not see vacum but the boost seems to be more accurate then when I had it connected to the FPR. What I did notice is when I get on it hard in 1st gear I hit almost 18 psi. All the other gears I am hitting about 10 PSI. I am not sure if I am getting bad boost creep or what. I have the drag gen kit with a deltagate waste gate. I do not have a boost controller yet. I rember reading before that the deltagates are not to good and paired with the drag manifold you will see boost creep. Is this correct?

Also to note I took my whole manilfold off to tap it for the EGT guage. I cleaned it all up and painted it with high temp 1500 paint not sure if it will hold up. I found that the one bolt that holds down the wastegate was sheared off so I tapped that out and put a nice new bolt in. The car seems like it has alot more power. Not sure if that is from the wastegate bolt being broken or from plugging that whole in the turbo.
Old 10-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude the boost guauge needs to go on the manifold NOT the turbo, there is pressure drop between the turbo and the motor.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

**** that sucks, b/c I spent like 15 bucks on fittings today to extend the line down to the turbo. Well back to the IM I will put it. Is it okay if I put it back where the fpr was? I should still plug the hole on the turbo correct?
Old 10-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just plug it and get a vacuum manifold, or different ports on the intake manifold

do you have the IM off already? i forgot if i read you did or not. but just drill and tap them and get some vacuum fittings and screw em in.

vacuum manifold is the easiest though.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I orginally had it running off the FPR. But then when I took my manifold and turbo and everything off I saw that hole in the turbo and was like hum might get more accuarte reading there. Did not really think about pressure drop. So I ran it there. Last night I move it back to the FPR. So it should be back to normal.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:14 AM

ok heres what you do. Trash the deltagate... Get a tial and a TurboXS manual boost controller. Go from the hole in the turbo to the manual boost controller, then from the MBC to the wastegate. Now hook your boost guage to any vaccum source on the manifold. Now use the MBC to adjust your boost so that the guage reads whatever boost you want it to. Even in there is pressure drop in the pipes and intercooler you are turning up the boost to compensate for that drop. You can verify this by the fact that your boost guage, hooked to the manifold vaccum, is reading the correct boost setting. In no way should you hook up the boost guage to the turbo fitting. It will never read right on vaccum.