Notices

Priming for oil first time (expert advice...none of this is what I heard)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Priming for oil first time (expert advice...none of this is what I heard)

I am about to start my engine for the first time in a while. I found some previous post but they all had different answers. Something that I read that if you dry crank it you can possible spin a bearing? I already went down that path . What is the best possible way to get oil pressure without damaging the engine???????
Old 07-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Priming for oil first time (Rod.)

there is assembly lube on all the bearings so cranking it for 15-20 seconds is not gonna hurt anything.

pull the ECU fuse and crank it for 15-20 seconds or until the oil light goes out. then put the fuse back in and fire it up.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (non-VTEC)

just pull the plug on you dizzy and injectors crank it for like 15 secs and your good to start
Old 07-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dump a teaspoon of mystery oil in every spark plug hole (pull the plug) let it sit for a few hours and start it up
Old 07-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I did my motor I borrowed a tank off a buddy that we filled with oil and hooked compressed air in it to pre-lube the engine, then i pulled the ecu fuse and cranked it over for a bit to be safe
Old 07-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (N20civicB18)

doesnt just turning your ignition so only your radio comes on automatically prime your oil pump? youll need to wait about 20 seconds though

what i wouild do first to make sure you are actually getting oil into the turbo and draining properly by disconnecting your drain line and shoot it into a clean pan while you are priming it. this way you can see for yourself that oil is actually circulating. youll need to get a buddy with you to turn off your car right away if no oil is coming out. thats what ill be doing in a few days anyways. then with your oil in the clean pan pour the little bit that is there back into the motor. remember to connect the return again obviously
Old 07-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (hamburgler)

no your fuel pump will prime that way you oil pump is a gear thus needing something to turn it to make pressure
Old 07-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (vaporboy12)

I am about to get off work and try to start it.

thinking about doing this...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vaporboy12 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no your fuel pump will prime that way you oil pump is a gear thus needing something to turn it to make pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

i am guessing this wont hurt anything
Old 07-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rod. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am about to get off work and try to start it.

thinking about doing this...

i am guessing this wont hurt anything</TD></TR></TABLE>

huh? what are you gonna try?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:02 PM
On Fire!

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

huh? what are you gonna try?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude just fill the motor with oil, pull the ecu fuse or the injector clips off and crank it over a few times. Hook it all back up and start the thing.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (newgsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dude just fill the motor with oil, pull the ecu fuse or the injector clips off and crank it over a few times. Hook it all back up and start the thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah man do this. nevermind what i was saying, but i still think you should let your oil return drain into a can or something for a couple seconds then turn off the car and hook up the return and replace your 15A fuse under the hood
Old 07-17-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what we did recently for a personal motor. We pulled the ECU fuse, unplugged the distributor and cranked it over two times for five seconds. After that we started the motor, looked for any leaks at idle and held it at 2,500RPM for twenty minutes. After that we changed the oil and oil filter. The next day a compression test yielded 185 across all four cylinders. I now have 818 miles on the motor. Going to compression test again and leakdown test this week.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (newgsr)

I pulled my injectors and cranked the motor over for like 30+ seconds, and no oil pressure, this was on a new build.

So I just started the motor, after like 5 seconds oil pressure goes right up.

Like said before, just hold the oil feed line into a bucket to make sure you purge the oil feed line of any **** that might be inside it. Then just hook it up and your good to go.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (mike1114)

Started up pretty good. Some reason it wont stay started now when I tried again. I am thinking maybe I need back pressure. My dp is not all the way tightened and it is dumping right underneath my car.

I know oil was flowing good cause it was coming out my feed line. Forgot to tighten it back then
Old 07-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back pressure helped tremendously with my personal motor. Only because I have large camshafts. What ECU are you trying to start the car with?
Old 07-17-2005, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (0x64)

p28
Old 07-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just an unmodified P28? No Uberdata? No Chrome? What exhaust manifold and lower exhaust manifold are you using?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (N20civicB18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by N20civicB18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I did my motor I borrowed a tank off a buddy that we filled with oil and hooked compressed air in it to pre-lube the engine, then i pulled the ecu fuse and cranked it over for a bit to be safe</TD></TR></TABLE>Where exactly did you hook this oil supply to prime the engine?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just an unmodified P28? No Uberdata? No Chrome? What exhaust manifold and lower exhaust manifold are you using?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is tuned with hondata from Tony back then before I spun a bearing. I got the bottom end done again by earl. Using a RLD Fab exhaust manifold. From what Tony says the tune shouldnt really harm anything till I tune again hopefully this month.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oil pressure gauge is going up and down with my rpms with open dp. Sitting at 20psi oil pressure at idle with no oil light this time . Thanks everyone
Old 07-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rod. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oil pressure gauge is going up and down with my rpms with open dp. Sitting at 20psi oil pressure at idle with no oil light this time . Thanks everyone</TD></TR></TABLE>

And the fun begins
Old 07-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have Built many motors and have always done it this way with no probs..
remove the ECU fuse remove the spark plugs crank engine until the oil light goes out, once oil light is out start the beast idle it upto about 2500-3000rpm let it warm up completly..(cooling fans come on twice) change oil and then just drive it around normally..
Old 07-17-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (B20luda)

If you start with a perfectly dry block, how long do you have to crank it before the oil light goes off? I've seen guys crank a new block for a minute and not build pressure but if you start it, you will get pressure in a few seconds.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you start with a perfectly dry block, how long do you have to crank it before the oil light goes off? I've seen guys crank a new block for a minute and not build pressure but if you start it, you will get pressure in a few seconds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I cranked for like 30 sec to a min and no pressure at all. I was afraid to burn out my starter so I just started it up. That was all it needed was to just start it, pressure went right up.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Priming for oil first time (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cranked for like 30 sec to a min and no pressure at all. I was afraid to burn out my starter so I just started it up. That was all it needed was to just start it, pressure went right up.</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2

same here. on my new block I cranked and cranked for a WHILE but never saw oil pressure on my gauge (perhaps because it's an electronic pressure gauge? dunno.) but after that I started it up and BAM - oil pressure registered in under 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: Priming for oil first time (expert advice...none of this is what I heard)