Notices

Pretty sure I just blew a low mileage turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty sure I just blew a low mileage turbo...

So within the last 5 days, my car would puff out some smoke out the exhaust only when I came to a stop. My friend was behind me on his bike and said it would only happen when I stopped. Last night, I was rolling in first and went WOT in first, second, and third. As soon as I shifted in third, no more boost was being built (maybe like .5psi). I pulled into my friend's driveway and realized I had smoke-screened his entire driveway. I figured only a blown turbo could produce that much smoke.

This morning I took off the filter and checked for shaft play. It had some side to side play. Although the fins/blades looked fine, the housing seems to have been scored by them because you can see there is a line going around where the fins are. It was hard to tell if there was any in and out play (i'll have to take off the dp and get one finger on each end). There was some minor resistance when i first tried to spin the shaft but it seemed to freely move after. The intercooler piping had black markings inside and it smelled like burnt oil, but there wasn't any pooling of it.

I forgot to mention it's a Garrett T3 Super 60 that I bought off of vsracing.net. The turbo has maybe 7k miles on it. I used stealthmode oil lines and my oil pressure gauge says everything is in check so i don't think it's poor oil delivery (it's definitely burning it off so it's there). I've never had audible compressor surge. Does anyone think this isn't a turbo failure? Why in the name of all things holy would a 7k mile old turbocharger fail?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM

Default Re: Pretty sure I just blew a low mileage turbo...

Over heating or lack of oil may have starved the inside, or a leaking seal...pull the turbo apart and measure
Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone think this is from excessive oil pressure? Just something my friend mentioned when I told him I got 50psi for my oil at 3kRPM's on the highway. I thought that was pretty average for honda's but he's a saab guy so their oil psi's are different i guess.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what sort of oil dump are you running?
could there have been a restriction there? that will cause a lot of oil to blow by the turbo seals...
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i blew my gt28 with only 3000km on it!!! fresh build with no inline filter. metal lodged in the built in restrictor for a moment and starved the turbo of oil. it doesn't take long just a few seconds will do it.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm using a -10 line which is standard size from stealthmode and there are no kinks or anything.