Notices

prepping the b16a for TURBO maybe some help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prepping the b16a for TURBO maybe some help.

ok so iv finaly decided to boost my b16a, the b16a is currently in NA mode.. lol and the miles on it is about 35,000. the mods i currently have on it is:

JE 12:1 comp pistion
Type R cams
Type R valves
Crower Titan valve springs and retainers
port and polish
blue print and balanced
UR crank pully
Ngk blue spark plug wires
custom cold air intake
stright pipe
Type R B pipe
Center force clutch
Spoon fly wheel
T1R axle back
OBD1 ECU

-planning on slappin on a full-race turbo kit probably stage 2. maybe stage 1 but it says stage one is mainly for stock engines? *keep in mind im new to all this turbo. gimme ur knowledge!!! lol anyways....
now wut im planning to change is the pistons to CP 9:1 / 9:7?, injectors, and fuel pump if thats even neccesary.. and then run hondata or uber. wut im curious is:
1)would i need to sleeve the block? im wanting to produce about 300whp+.
2)would i need to replace anything else on the engine?
3) am i able to run turbo with just the replacement of the Pistons? cuz i really needa lower my compressions.
4)is it necessary to upgrade injectors / fuel pump? or can i just use my stock ones for now.
and money isnt an issue cuz im planning on dumping as much as it takes.

and yeah i do read the forums and searched b16a under FI, soo plz dont tell me to search, i found that this dude wanted to boost his b16a and people said he didnt need to sleeve his block cuz all he wanted was 250-350whp. they said the stock sleeves should be ok.

well let me know!
Jay

Modified by yellowEG at 1:38 AM 2/17/2005
Old 02-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: prepping the b16a for TURBO maybe some help. (yellowEG)

1.No you dont need to sleeve your block for 300whp..Many stock b-series block have hit the 300whp mark with good tuning and a good fuel system..

2.You should get some arp headstuds(Dont want the head to lift under boost..)
And you might wanna get a 3" exhaust to help the spool time..And get some colder spark plugs..

3.Yeah get rid of those pistons..Go with some 9:5:1 or lower..

4.For 300whp you can keep the stock fuel pump..But should get some bigger injectors to keep the duty cycle down..And get a good fuel management system..Dont just the vafc or something like that..Get uberdata atleast(Its freeware) or hondata,aem,etc..and a fpr..And find a good tuner in your area..
Old 02-17-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: prepping the b16a for TURBO maybe some help. (Mr.speaker)

tight, thanx for the reply been sittin here waiting lol.
1) thanx i really needed the info cuz i was ready to dump money on sleeves/boring.

2)while i was searching the b16a turbo i read sooo many with i think ARP head studs? and yeah ill purchase those since it seens like a good idea, i really dont want that lift!

3)i searched up some CP on ebay compressions like 9:1/9:7 but i guess ill stick to the lower one. wuts better 9 or 10 compressions?
i was thinkin about keeping the 2.5 outlet exhaust i have now and just see how much power im making then maybe later getta cut out so i can keep my exhaust.

* i read that turbo+vtec causes problems???

also.. theres no place here in victoria to tune, not that i know of cuz its a pretty small town i will look around if not then im just gunna have to drive my car to vancouver and get it tuned there. will it be safe to drive all the way to vancouver? its a ferry ride over. plus the road trip to the place to tune.

and yeah i was either gunna go hondata or uberdata. since i have obd1 i mite just chip it. but i mite go with hondata. i just gotta look more into it.

thanx for the reply!
Old 02-17-2005, 04:14 AM
New User

Default Re: prepping the b16a for TURBO maybe some help. (yellowEG)

1) 9's are better, but I would stick with the 9.7's. I've heard that they would be a bit more reliable for street driven cars.

2) Even though the 3 inch exhaust would be better for the overall effect, the cut-out will work if you were to put it roughly where your cat is or somewhere just past the turbo.

3) As for the "turbo+vtec=problems", I would have to disagree. I have a 99 EBP SI-T with 174,XXX miles on it (1st-40k n/a, 2nd-100k on nitrous, 3rd-30k+turboed.) All still on the same stock engine. I don't drive my car super crazy, but I do drive her hard more often then not. I'm also pushing close to, but not quite, 300 whp. I've got an upgraded fuel system, upgraded ignition and hondata tuned by st00pid . Tuning, however, is the KEY and I know you said you don't have any immediate access to any tuners. Try to get a hold of some tuners here on H-T, i'm sure they can point you in the right direction. Hope this helps you in some way.

Modified by VicThaDish at 7:30 AM 2/17/2005
Old 02-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those ITR cams won't be helping you at all. Aggressive NA cams are designed to take advantage of Intake/Exhuast valve overlap to draw in Air/Fuel much quicker. Which would be a negative feature for boosted cars. You need to look into different or sstock cams.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no keepthe itr cams they work fine with boost aps.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (this guy 2fast)

uhg... sooo keep the itr cams?? hahaa, well i dont even kno if my freakin engine has all that listed above, cuz i bought the engine already built like that right. i know it has more than stock b16a's but i think before i boost it im gunna check out everything see if its there or not if its got more stock stuff than modded then thats cool. im still gunna have to lower my compression tho cuz im sure it's got those pistons in it, but as for the Tuning.. ill see if i can contact some on here. if u kno any tuners on here; if u you give me the names that would be sweet! but this is gunna be like a summer project. right now im just gunna lower my compression/ get bigger injectors/ look into uber data or hondata. THEN get the full-race stage 2! yeeeaaaah i cant freakin wait. thanx for all your help guys! im sure ill be askin more questions but ill keep everyone updated on the car.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: (yellowEG)

and yeah i wasnt really all that concerned about the vtec-turbo. cuz i wanted to get turbo with vtec.thats just TIGHT! i gotta clip of a yellow eg with dart/b16a and its freakin sweet. im sure uv all seen it i think hes on this forum too. aka jdmegsix i think his sn is or jdm_egsix.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: (yellowEG)

ok, so i found some pistons on ebay ( good to buy pistons there? or not? ) for $499+shipping..etc spec is. 84.0mm/3.307" and compression height is 1.181". and its a 9.7:1 compression. theres also a 84.5mm/3.327" and a 85.0mm/3.346".
im not sure wich one is good for my engine, they are all for b16a's...? lol as you can see im a complete noob. but if someone can explain this mm/" that be great. wich ones better to go for the 84/84.5/85mm's? all are 9.7:1 compression and those are CP pistons. heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WD1V