Notices

Precision Turbo & Engine's Webserver has been hacked for Ransomware

Old 11-10-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Precision Turbo & Engine's Webserver has been hacked for Ransomware

Be aware Gents.

Not to throw shade, but Precision Turbo & Engine's website has been set for Ransomware. You can check the site yourself, but your anti-viral software may not allow into the page. Listen to your software if it does..

In the meantime,
http://www.precisionturbo.net/

But what does this say. They're too cheap to get a good protective server, what does that mean how they treat their products for you? Maybe they pissed off the wrong customer...
Old 11-11-2016, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Re: Precision Turbo & Engine's Webserver has been hacked for Ransomware

You reap what you sow... don't feel bad for em.

Don't run the exe file it downloads. And don't click 'ok' to update your flash player.
Ran it in sandbox on kali linux, it's just a back door. But still.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:17 AM
v
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my clients is a multi national company that does tens of billions of dollars a year in revenue, and they had a ransomware hack last year that compromised their POS system through one of the busiest times of the year. Even large, sophisticated, technically savvy companies who spend a lot of money on their IT security can fall victims to this.

I'm not saying they couldn't have done better, but having an attack like this happen is not always indicative that they were cheap with their IT security.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by v
One of my clients is a multi national company that does tens of billions of dollars a year in revenue, and they had a ransomware hack last year that compromised their POS system through one of the busiest times of the year. Even large, sophisticated, technically savvy companies who spend a lot of money on their IT security can fall victims to this.

I'm not saying they couldn't have done better, but having an attack like this happen is not always indicative that they were cheap with their IT security.
Let me clarify a little bit, if I may. I'm not just talking about the hardware/software interface. I'm talking about getting the correct people to keep up to date on how to maintain their systems, understand how this can be avoided, and establishing steps and protocols (some of which are EXTREMELY SIMPLE) at the main office to help stave this off.

In some cases, the change of steps was as simple as making sure that the receptionist or bookkeeper didn't open what we could consider "suspicious" looking e-mails (like "Phishing") that look simple to check, and contain these issues.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

All it takes is for an intern to open the wrong email. Hmm. Emails, Interns, servers....ahhh lol
Old 11-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by v

Strongly this. I've worked in IT for years, this can happen to anyone if you're unlucky or even remotely unprepared.

What's far more important is how they handle this now. Their response to this intrusion, how they handle their customers information and security, and how they guard against these types of intrusions from occurring in the future is what will say the most about their care and attendance on the online side of their company.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chance EG
Strongly this. I've worked in IT for years, this can happen to anyone if you're unlucky or even remotely unprepared.

What's far more important is how they handle this now. Their response to this intrusion, how they handle their customers information and security, and how they guard against these types of intrusions from occurring in the future is what will say the most about their care and attendance on the online side of their company.
Correct, it can happen to anyone. The point of my even bringing this up is 1) Because I know people here go to their site to get general information, and I'd think it would be nice to give fair warning to others before something happens to their systems. 2) How they deal with it, is just as important as how they deal with potential customers and personnel. Hopefully they've had a meeting about this , and have decided to take actionable steps for later.

But because I brought the issue up about PTE's server initially, it seems already some people have an issue with me, believing I have serious ulterior motives at hand. That's the sad part.

Chance EG, You've expressed the very summation of my point. Thank you, with much appreciation.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come on Mac, you had to know that you posting anything negative about PTE would raise suspicion and bring out the finger pointers. Of course most people are too childish to differentiate your opinion on a subpar product from actually disliking the company. People are so quick to scream bloody murder these days that it's like reason is out of reach for them...

Unfortunately this does happen to a lot of companies, and the issue lies more with companys not taking the time or spending the money to make sure their systems are safe. They all like to think it wont happen to them until it does, then they blame the IT guys...