Notices

Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box?

Hi guys,

I recently made a thread about clocking a precision sc50, and didnt get much help.

Ive tried everything to clock this turbo and im about to send it back to the seller unless i can figure out why it wont clock.

Ive backed off half a turn on the front 6 bolts of the compressor cover to try and move it, nothing. Ive backed it off another half turn so its at a total of a full turn out and still nothing.

Seller has suggested that i need to back of the rear 6 turbine housing bolts to clock the front cover. This makes no sense at all as they are totally different housings, but to keep him happy ive tried that and still nothing.

He then suggested that there are 4 x small bolts that go into front cover from he middle chra. Back them out and it will work. Again, to make him happy, ive done that, and still nothing.

Ive tried everything, ive WD40'ed the bolts ive used a 1 foot breaker bar on the compressor outlet to try and get leverage, and still nothing?

Is this unit just a dud? if so, how many of you guys have had this problem? I've never had a problem with the Garrett units. The last thing i can think off is to back off the 6 front compressor bolts completely and refit the cover in the position i want it, but i dont want to void my warranty, so i need to confirm if this is ok?

Thanks for reading and any help you might want to give
Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box? (freakie)

It should be ok. Which one are you trying to turn or adjust. Compressor or turbine? The last 2 precisions that i have had in the past to move the compressor you just got to lossen the bolts right up against the compressor housing. As for the turbine i had to take the bolts completely off since they have a series of holes that go all around the turbine housing.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:32 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box? (Antilag)

Instead of just loosening the bolts, did you try taking them out an removing the plates held against the compressor?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box? (Dunc)

maybe the oring for the compressor housing is just a really good fit, just take the compressor housing OFF and put it back on in the position you need, sometimes they don't like to spin very easily because of the oring seal.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2272568

... was the thread you made and you stoped responding to... before you make 2 more why not reply to the first. people stop responding when there is no update after it was suggested to try to continue loosening or even remove the cover bolts completely/ re-clock?

so maybe try backing out the bolt all the way as suggested in that thread or agian here. since you only backed the bolts off 1 turn... maybe try progressively loosening up the bolts until finally you remove them all together if still nothing moves.

as I said in my post in your original thread... did mine by hand after backing off the bolts a couple turns... was cake, both turbine and compressor sides. also as I said in that post, some people have had them stick a little and a light tap on the outlet with a rubber mallet seemed to work to free them up.

Modified by twkdCD595 at 8:40 AM 4/16/2008
Old 04-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box?

Clocking a turbo is one of the easiest things there is. Loosen the bolts around each housing to where the clamps are loose, spin the housings to where you need them and make sure the oil feed is pointing at 12 Oclock.

I do have a question. Why did you not just pick your phone up and call Precision? It is that simple. They would have been more than happy to walk you through it.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box? (twkdCD595)

i read that, and i did everything, im just worried that by taking off the cover ill lose my warranty, hence me asking to clarify. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Turbodano, because i bought it of one of their distributors, and if u read what i wrote, i was told to do those above things, which i did... still nothing.

And yes its one of the easiest things, if the compressor cover would actually move.

If anyone else knows if the only resort i have left is to take cover off completely and refit, then ill do it, but will i lose my warranty if i do?

Old 04-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is an O-ring that seals the cover that makes it difficult to turn without either removing the cover or REALLY loosening the bolts. You aren't gonna kill your warranty by taking off the compressor housing.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box? (k24em2)

Take the bolts on the far-end of the compressor cover off completely. Grab a plastic deadblow hammer, rubber mallet, or chunk of wood. Lightly tap the compressor housing edges away from the backplate. They may have put some sealant in there, the oring was installed dry and is binding, or the housing & backplate are just an incredibly tight fit - or they're slightly corroded together (some turbos sit a while to be sold).

If you do it right, you'll have no issue with it denting anything, or wedging the compressor wheel into the housing. Older garrett turbos that use the carbon seal ring are tough like this (it sticks like glue), and the turbine sides usually have to be pounded off with a 4lb sledge...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision Turbo - [freak]ed straight out of the box? (HiProfile)

Thanks for all the help guys, its much appreciated, ill give it a go this weekend.