Notices

Precision/PTE turbo shaft play!!?? No warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision/PTE turbo shaft play!!?? No warranty?

Does anyone else have experience dealing with PTE? I got off the phone with them about my billet 6262 and they will only cover 50% of the cost to fix it which would be $385 plus shipping on my end. The turbo only has 50 miles and some dyno tuning on it and when I first picked it up brand new it had shaft play and if you grabbed the turbo shaft and pushed it to the side the turbo would not spin at all. I sent it back because it was getting worse and actually had touched the housing and had marks. They are saying it is from a oil restrictor I had on the turbo which I also got from a different shop which said to use it because I was useing a -4 oil feed. Anyone have input this is making me very angry!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision/PTE turbo shaft play!!?? No warranty?

Two questions:

1) What oil feed setup did Precision say you should have run?

2) Who did you buy the turbo from?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Two questions:

1) What oil feed setup did Precision say you should have run?

2) Who did you buy the turbo from?
PTE told the shop I got the restrictor from with a -4 line on a 6262 to use a .035 restrictor. But the repair department said to me today that its oil starved and I was not supposed to use a restrictor....

The turbo is from a performance shop, they sent it in to PTE for me.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy cow, I thought they used bigger restrictors than that on ball bearing turbos, or is that the size for a ball bearing one? I was under the impression that about .065 was the smallest you could really run on a journal bearing turbo.

Did the shop in question buy the turbo directly from Precision? I'm curious because I'm trying to figure out whether the source of the turbo makes a difference in how Precision stands behind them. Seems like some people have good luck with their service, and some have really bad luck. . .
Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Not really. Distributors and retailers don't necessarily have a "Shoe in" to get Precision to allow them to have certain privileges over one another, so there is no special treatment. Precision (like many places) will not warranty turbochargers due to the nature of the product itself being beaten as well as the fact that the turbo is a universal part that could fit on literally thousands of applications.

That being said, the shop that sold the turbo should have been much more careful in understanding what restrictors (if any) are used on specific turbochargers, so the OP may have to deal with them directly, and let the shop deal with precision. Precision will more than likely NOT warranty anything, and it may not be possible for the end user to get Precision to help them with anything, since it was the shop that sold them the turbo.

This does suck, but it also makes sure that the OP double and triple checks his shop's word when it comes to turbochargers and their complementary parts.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PTE sucks for warranty. They always find a way get out of it. I have personally witness that.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I talked with the shop that sold me the restrictor more and they talked to PTE via AIM again today and this is what they said(below), so are they trying to wreck there turbos and yet not warranty them? Like I said the turbo came to me with some shaft play and I still believe it was bad from the get go, It still boosted just fine when I took it off I just sent it back because it was way too much play IMO.

SHOP
2:14 PM
What size restrictor should we use on the 6262?
2:15 PM
I know it has a fitting in it I believe from you guys, but what is the size?
AIM
JustinPTE
2:17 PM
35 thou
2:17 PM
-4 an line
Old 10-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd try more for 2/3 if PTE told your shop that size restrictor. Hondas usually have issues with too much oil, so that's BS if they say starvation with the recommended restrictor happened. Unfortunately they can just argue you used a cheap oil sandwhich adapter, which plugged the hole with unfiltered oil. In most cases, they'd be right, since most people use the cheap ebay adapter. I'd probably take their offer of paying half, since PTE usually wouldn't pay anything.

As far as initial shaft play, there actually will be some. I can't recall the exact stock spec, but I want to say .010" is the service limit. Not sure if that's with oil in the bearings. I guess it's a moot point if you didn't measure it.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Interesting stuff. . . I'm not sure I follow that IM thread, is it anywhere near right for a journal bearing turbo to want a .035" restrictor?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it had an alarming amount of play when you got it, why go ahead and install it. I would have had it sent back to have them check it.

They have a minor amount of play in them as they require some clearance in any bearings regardless, but if the shaft was binding up and would not at all spin it could have been damaged in some way or whatnot.

I am not following though just to clarify this is or is not a ball bearing chra? I am confused. If journal bearing, I dont know why you would want a restrictor at all from my personal experience with a couple different journal bearing precision units over the years.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same here, they (Precision) told me "full engine oil pressure with a -4 feed line." And then the guy reiterated that he wanted the full pressure from as close in the system to the pump as possible.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea same setup on my car, -4 feed line with full oil pressure running to the journal bearing chra. -10 return. Feed is off a GE oil adapter. At that adapter I also have a oil pressure gauge... where I see 90ish psi with any throttle input.