Notices

Post your pvc/catch can setup if your boosted. (I know about the long thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post your pvc/catch can setup if your boosted. (I know about the long thread)

Does anyone run with out modifying the stock pcv system on a boosted car?

Please post what (and how) you did your setup. (or didn't).

Only post what has worked for you reliably for an extended period of time. I don't care about emmision/pollution just what HAS BEEN DONE SUCCESSFULLY on a daily driven car. I want to hear from the high hp guys (400whp & up) and the lower end as well.

Yes I have read https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=394876
Old 06-17-2003, 03:38 PM

I have to moroso catch can system on my SI, i like it. i put it on the day i started boosting. Safety safety safety
Old 06-17-2003, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Post your pvc/catch can setup if your boosted. (b3435)

I have a baffled Moroso can inline with my PVC system. But I have a JRSC, so it is quite easy to set up on mine. Rather than having the PCV valve in the valve cover, it is atop the can. Line from valve cover to side of can, line from PCV valve to port between the throttle body and the blower.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:45 PM

Default Re: (Ntrpriz)

How did you install it? Be specific, as there seems to be a lot of debate.

And I'm curious, how long have you been running with it, and whats your setup(turbo,boost,engine build etc)?

I want to here the specifics of success stories. Thanks BTW.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ntrpriz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have to moroso catch can system on my SI, i like it. i put it on the day i started boosting. Safety safety safety</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd be interested in pics of catch can set-ups, in addition to extended daily driving experiences too.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Post your pvc/catch can setup if your boosted. (sharkcohen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a baffled Moroso can inline with my PVC system. But I have a JRSC, so it is quite easy to set up on mine. Rather than having the PCV valve in the valve cover, it is atop the can. Line from valve cover to side of can, line from PCV valve to port between the throttle body and the blower.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, what about the turbo guys (I'll be going turbo myself)
Old 06-17-2003, 03:56 PM

ill have to go and look at mine dont remeber, let you guys know tonight, but b34- i used to have Jrsc, it was set just like that,,
Old 06-17-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: (Ntrpriz)

Ntrpriz - thanks
Old 06-17-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: (b3435)

Here's a pic of my GReddy catch can set up. One line comes from the head to the catch can, and the other line goes from the catch can to the intake tube. I check the level of the catch can every few days just to make sure I'm not getting any blow by. Blow by=
Old 06-17-2003, 07:43 PM

Default Re: (Cornbread Jr.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cornbread Jr. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Here's a pic of my GReddy catch can set up. One line comes from the head to the catch can, and the other line goes from the catch can to the intake tube. I check the level of the catch can every few days just to make sure I'm not getting any blow by. Blow by= </TD></TR></TABLE>

When you say from the head, do you mean the pcv valve?
So its pcv-catch can-intake? No issues with it closing the pcv valve under boost?
Old 06-17-2003, 07:47 PM
New User

Default Re: (Cornbread Jr.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cornbread Jr. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here's a pic of my GReddy catch can set up. One line comes from the head to the catch can, and the other line goes from the catch can to the intake tube. I check the level of the catch can every few days just to make sure I'm not getting any blow by. Blow by= </TD></TR></TABLE>
If I am correct the side you have going to the intake pipe would see positive boost pressure and back into the valve cover as opposed to sucking it in, on an NA car or JRSC car you would not have positive boost pressure before the Intake manifold so that's fine, I would think you would want the other side to got to the inlet pipe of the turbo that way it is drawing vacuum, this is the way I had my Greddy Catchcan hooked up. ANyone else want to shed some light on this?
Old 06-17-2003, 09:52 PM
New User

Default Re: (Boostfed)

I've got the Endyne kit. It was VERY nice, and a pretty simple install. It removes the stock "block box" from the back of the engine, and it adds the drainback into the back of the block so that you never have any levels to check or anything.

Came with a freezeplug for the black box hole in the block, and you pull a couple of crank case evacuation plugs using an m14 socket, and add the barbed drainbacks. Once you add the hoses, and pull the stock PCV parts, you're good to go.

With all the parts you could ever included, the $100~ price tag isn't so hard to swallow.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (SiR Kid)

SiR Kid, if you don't mind me asking...How much did you pay for your Endyn setup? I might consider one if the price is about $100.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:24 PM
New User

Default Re: (The Dude)

I think they retail for about $150 through Endyne, I got mine through a friend, as we all try to do.

It's really worth the money, the kit is superb.

http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

The Moroso tank alone from Summit is $75 + $8 handling, so you're half way there before scrounging together the hoses, fittings, and clamps... Money well spent, IMHO.

http://store.summitracing.com/...image
Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone has to sell these for less, though. It's just a Moroso catch can ($60) with a few fittings, a little filter and some hose. It's a good idea and I want one, but not for what he's asking. I wish I had a "friend."
Old 06-18-2003, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can see the catch can next to the turbo. The setup has a tube going from the air filter pipe to the valve cover. And another tube from the oil separator on the back of the block going to the side the catch can. Then from the pcv valve on the catch can back to the air filter pipe.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Post your pvc/catch can setup if your boosted. (Brad)

i plan on experimenting with the Exhaust driven positive PCV system... Use a check valve on a vacuum line from a catchan with a fresh air source (filter) to the exhaust system and of course a vac to the valve cover.

then in the exhaust, have a steel tube with a hole drilled perpindicular to it, creating a low pressure differential, thus drawing out crankcase vapors. wooot!
Old 06-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You can see the catch can next to the turbo. The setup has a tube going from the air filter pipe to the valve cover. And another tube from the oil separator on the back of the block going to the side the catch can. Then from the pcv valve on the catch can back to the air filter pipe. </TD></TR></TABLE>

your set up is similar to this: i was wondering what kind of fitting you used for the valve cover hose and the pcv hose? coz the valve cover hose should suck in fresh air while the hose from the pcv valve should have vacuum to pull fumes from the crankcase.

if you look at the diagram, there's two 90degree fitting, one facing the filter so air would flow into the valve cover then to the crankcase(as honda's design) and then the other 90degree fitting faces the turbo so when the turbo sucks in air it will create vacuum to pull the fumes out of the crankcase.

so are you using such 90degrees fitting? if not, what fitting did you use?

diagram courtesy of Kwuaymaikrup
Old 06-18-2003, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Post your pvc/catch can setup if your boosted. (_Endless_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _Endless_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
if you look at the diagram, there's two 90degree fitting, one facing the filter so air would flow into the valve cover then to the crankcase(as honda's design) and then the other 90degree fitting faces the turbo so when the turbo sucks in air it will create vacuum to pull the fumes out of the crankcase.

so are you using such 90degrees fitting? if not, what fitting did you use?

diagram courtesy of Kwuaymaikrup</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's pretty much how I have mine setup. For the one closer to the filter I used a piece of metal pipe and bent it. It's not a 90 degree bend, but the inlet is parallel to the air intake pipe inlet. It just exits the air intake pipe at an angle. For the other fitting I just slash cut a piece of pipe and had the longer side of the slash face the filter. I welded them both on and connected the hoses. If I found weldable 90 degree fittings, I would have used those instead.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:24 PM

I have a question though, for everyone that wants to use the turbo intake as vaccum. Did you ever take off an intake manifold and notice all the sluge and grease in the runners and in he rest of the mani? Could this be due to the stock pcv system recycling the vapors or fumes. Its probably a combination of factors including the pcv,the air pollution, dust etc.

My point is, I have seen what the inside of a intake mani looks like after about 20k on it, and would hate to see that sludge end up in my turbo.

edit: I guess thats what the catch can is for

So maybe I'll do this

Like everyone says.

Modified by b3435 at 2:28 AM 6/19/2003
Old 06-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I made mine out of the A/C dryer. A REAL catch can that is baffled and the vapors are forced to pass through the stainless steel material to arrest them and return them to a liquid state. Came out sweet, but I need to run a intake tube between the filter and the turbo so I get adequate vaccum.

EDIT&gt;
Forgot to mention is cost me about $12 to make.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's pretty much how I have mine setup. For the one closer to the filter I used a piece of metal pipe and bent it. It's not a 90 degree bend, but the inlet is parallel to the air intake pipe inlet. It just exits the air intake pipe at an angle. For the other fitting I just slash cut a piece of pipe and had the longer side of the slash face the filter. I welded them both on and connected the hoses. If I found weldable 90 degree fittings, I would have used those instead.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can see the catch can next to the turbo. The setup has a tube going from the air filter pipe to the valve cover. And another tube from the oil separator on the back of the block going to the side the catch can. Then from the pcv valve on the catch can back to the air filter pipe. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where can I get the parts for your setup, (catch can with pcv) What catch can are you using? Is it baffled?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:07 PM

I can just use the stock pcv, go pcv-catch can-preturbo intake pipe with filter

and then the other line like the diagram to the same intake pipe, so any catch can would do right? Like greddy or whatever. I think I've got it.

Modified by b3435 at 8:53 PM 6/19/2003
Old 06-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b3435 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When you say from the head, do you mean the pcv valve?
So its pcv-catch can-intake? No issues with it closing the pcv valve under boost?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cornbread's setup is very simple. The catch can is inline between the valve cover breather and the intake tube to the turbo. This will create a vacuum on the valve cover breather, lowering crankcase pressure. Seems to work well, as his car made 289whp at 7psi with an fmu...
Old 06-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b3435 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Where can I get the parts for your setup, (catch can with pcv) What catch can are you using? Is it baffled? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm using the Moroso catch can, I think I got it from JEGS. It has like one baffle at the top. The grommet and pcv valve are from Kragens and the brass fitting, tubing is from Home Depot. I got the part numbers from the endyn site, but that was a while back, not sure if they're still available. For the line coming out of the oil separator, I hollowed out the stock valve and used it as a regular elbow fitting.

Quick Reply: Post your pvc/catch can setup if your boosted. (I know about the long thread)