Notices

Is it possible to use a turbo engine then convert to All Motor for Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to use a turbo engine then convert to All Motor for Winter?

Hey guys, did some looking around and couldn't find anyone with this scenario. I have a built ls/vtec turbo car. The motor has a forged low compression, ( 8:5:1 ) compression lower end. My question is, has anyone had any experience with running a motor like this with out the turbo ?? Thinking about taking all of my turbo upgrades out, being the fuel set up, the turbo, and the turbo manifold, and putting regular injectors a regular street performance header and regular 2.5" exhaust, and running the car with the lower end still low compression. Any one know how the car will be power wise ?? Will it be a complete dog ?, or will the car still be fun to drive ?? Any input would be great and I'm sure its a subject some people would like to know of. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Is it possible to use a turbo engine then convert to All Motor for Winter?

winter is when a boosted car sounds best though..
Old 09-14-2016, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: Is it possible to use a turbo engine then convert to All Motor for Winter?

I bet it would feel like a B16. Fun,fun,fun!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostjunkie757
winter is when a boosted car sounds best though..
No doubt they sound great lol I just want to switch my set up for spring and keep driving it through the winter just naturally aspirated instead of boosting... any one else had any friends do this and know the results ??
Old 09-14-2016, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's your logic for wanting to doing this?
Old 09-14-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by poormanRboosted
No doubt they sound great lol I just want to switch my set up for spring and keep driving it through the winter just naturally aspirated instead of boosting... any one else had any friends do this and know the results ??
Actually no. No one really does this because of the sheer time it takes to tear it all apart, then retune for NA (the car WILL act like a dog without it, but even moreso especially with that compression), then reassemble later after you've cleared all the winter bullshit out.. You can't simply pull everything off, then just start driving. (well, you could, but not very well at all.)

The original turbocharger tune's fuel and timing are expecting boost pressure to work WITH the system throughout all of the powerband. You could retune with an NA header on there later, but again, for the cost and time of doing all of what you propose, you can find a nice winter beater and put the turbo toy away. Doing this is like trying to spend $500 just to save $50

Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its an awful lot of effort for no gain. it would be less work and more efficient to have a stock ecu and a stock b18c5 and swap out seasonally..
Old 09-14-2016, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pogeeboy27
What's your logic for wanting to doing this?
hind

the logic behind doing this is simply to run the car all motor so i dont have any potential problems untill my new ported and beafed up head goes in after winter. i have the s300 so tuning the car wouldnt be an issue, all other parts are stacked on shelves, really broken down its a question of how will the motor react running with no turbo and low comp pistons. from the sounds of it theshodon, says poor idea, i appreciate the help, still kind of considering it, dont really know what im going to do at this point, i was hoping to be able to run the car all motor ( with a new tune ) for a few months and finish my new set up
Old 09-14-2016, 08:19 PM

Get a beater. Save the car... No gain here despite your determination
Old 09-14-2016, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You wont have any issues running a turbo car during winter unless you beat on it when its stone cold.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so look. Dispite the winter thing. .... if a motor is built for turbo. Being low compression. And for some crazy reason I got sick of listening to the turbo spool and wanted to get rid of it. But I wanted to keep the engine, are you saying running the car with the 8.5.1 pistons and a regular header and tune was applied it would be a turd ? That's better put I think ha.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Id invest in a daily for the winter if anything.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by poormanRboosted
Ok so look. Dispite the winter thing. .... if a motor is built for turbo. Being low compression. And for some crazy reason I got sick of listening to the turbo spool and wanted to get rid of it. But I wanted to keep the engine, are you saying running the car with the 8.5.1 pistons and a regular header and tune was applied it would be a turd ? That's better put I think ha.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Get a beater. Save the car... No gain here despite your determination
x1000.

You can pick up decent accords all day in the $1000-2000 range.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in CA I have no idea what winter is......
Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wardseg6
I live in CA I have no idea what winter is......
Same

Only problem with beaters is the cost adds up with insurance, purchase cost, etc.
I guess if you're turboing though it should be a part of your budget.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Geis
Same

Only problem with beaters is the cost adds up with insurance, purchase cost, etc.
I guess if you're turboing though it should be a part of your budget.
That's the price to pay for the "Fun & Sun" life you Kalifornians get...especially with that "Ref" and "Bar'd" nonsense you all deal with.. Even when I lived there I got around that B.S.

As a practical matter if you get an older car that's in reasonable shape, with minimal insurance with no collision (Liability & Property only), and keep a good brain for just sticking to the mission of getting something that runs and will get you there if/when the turbo car isn't done or something happens, a good beater is an investment well spent. Plus, you have the option to sell it off to someone else later when you're done.

Plus, you would put the turbo car in storage mode while you drive the beater.. Save tons on insurance costs.

I lived in NorCal and guys had beaters all the time due to where they worked or went to on a regular basis wasn't conducive to a turbo Honda environment. Winter or not.

But there's nothing worse than someone else bapping you and destroying your project build as you're getting things along during the bad times of the year. The worse part is that with these cars, we put 10x even 20x their value into them only for an insurance company to give pennies on the dollar for it anyway, including a "rider" policy you may have.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did someone say winter? I'm gearin' up for some drifts already...

Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 AM
On vacation

The motor will barely run at 8.5:1 C/R.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to use a turbo engine then convert to All Motor for Winter?

Thanks for the input guys appreciated