Notices

Is it possible to turbocharge a carborated motor?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to turbocharge a carborated motor?????

Hey guys, my friend is re-building an old 1986/87 CRX si and they are re-doing all of the body and doing the motor. My friend wants to turbo charge the engine but it's car-borated.

Is it possible to turbo a carb.motor???

thanks
bartek
Old 11-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to turbocharge a carborated motor????? (bartek_b)

Of course it's possible to turbocharge a carburated engine. You just have to make sure that the carburator is large enough and in a state of tune that will allow it to keep up with the charge air. The fuel pump will need upgrading as well.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to turbocharge a carborated motor????? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Of course it's possible to turbocharge a carburated engine. You just have to make sure that the carburator is large enough and in a state of tune that will allow it to keep up with the charge air. The fuel pump will need upgrading as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the quick response.

i've tried searching for pictures but does anybody have some of older honda motors turbocharged that are car-borated???

thanks again
bartek
Old 11-16-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump... if it's a nice mechanical unit, boost referrencing it does the trick.

I think you need to be more forthcoming about what engine and which carb you're talking about. As a rule, vacuum secondaries won't work - you need mechanical secondaries - and some floats like to collapse under pressure. They make brass floats for some Holleys, et al, that take care of that problem.

edit: Ah, 1G CRX. Not an ideal carb to work with, you might look into one of the Weber conversions or stick a 2bbl Holley on there that you can get a brass float for.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:44 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bartek_b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, my friend is re-building an old 1986/87 CRX si and they are re-doing all of the body and doing the motor. My friend wants to turbo charge the engine but it's car-borated.

Is it possible to turbo a carb.motor???

thanks
bartek</TD></TR></TABLE>

well you should really read Maximum Boost since it does cover this in adequate detail. basically i would say dont do it. there is no way to get good drivability with a carb'd turbo setup. either you're drawing gas thru the turbo or you'll be pressurizing the carb. both options are bad. you really wanna start with a sequential fuel injection setup.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to turbocharge a carborated motor????? (falconGSR)

thanks guys for the input.

Well I will be providing my friend with this information.
In his CRX he has a D15A2 "carb" motor, 1488CC's

I'll let him know tommorow that turbocharging his current motor isn't the greatest idea, so he might just throw in a newer PFI motor and work with that.

Just wondering, are there any good motors that are carborated and great for a turbo setup????

thanks guys for the help so far
Old 11-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to turbocharge a carborated motor????? (falconGSR)

It sure is, there is some good info about this on ...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

It talks about the differences between fuel injected and carburated engines when turbo charging. Good stuff!!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to turbocharge a carborated motor????? (koreanwilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by koreanwilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It sure is, there is some good info about this on ...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

It talks about the differences between fuel injected and carburated engines when turbo charging. Good stuff!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the link man, and thanks for the help so far
Old 11-17-2003, 11:00 AM

I think if you need info on carborated turbocharged you need to look at some of the chevy guys who have done this. It requires modifications to the carb. so that it dosnt leak air through the seals but I believe you can get decent driveability out of it I just dont think it is the best idea but you can do it
Old 11-17-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Save yourself some pain and suffering:

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
Old 11-17-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: (30psi Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 30psi Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think if you need info on carborated turbocharged you need to look at some of the chevy guys who have done this. It requires modifications to the carb. so that it dosnt leak air through the seals but I believe you can get decent driveability out of it I just dont think it is the best idea but you can do it</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree also, it was an idea we were trowing around and I started to get envy to build up the Carb motor and I was thinking of possibly adding a turbo setup on it.

Thanks for all the links/advice and help guys
Old 11-17-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a look at the 240Z turbos. it's a carbureated turbo setup. like most of these setups, it draws fuel/air mix through the turbo. i was under the impression that pressurizing a carb is bad news because you will end up with more pressure in the barrels than in the float bowl, making it hard for the gas to come out through the jets. i've never seen a turbo/supercharged carb car that blows into the carb (but then again i dont see too many carbs besides holleys on blowers)

why dont you all-motor that beast like Bisi heh heh
Old 11-17-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: (ross1459)

Thanks ross1459, lol

I've gotten a response from a h-t member and gave me some good info on a great turbo buildup.

I'll talk to my friend tomorrow and decide if he has turbo fever or wants to build up a N/A motor.

thanks guys
bartek