Notices

The possibility of passing CA SMOG with a D-series Turbo engine sans turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The possibility of passing CA SMOG with a D-series Turbo engine sans turbo

I live in CA and I always wanted to boost, but I don't want to find someone that knows someone to pass smog if you know what I mean. I want a build that would be easy to swap the parts out to pass smog, and then put the parts back on shortly after passing (which I don't mind doing. gives me an idea if any parts need refreshing/tightening). Here's what I'm thinking so far:

-rebuild block with vitara pistons and H-beam rods (8:1 cr) (will also have bearings and studs, but not taking anything off for smog)
-leave head and intake manifold stock
-try to make upgraded injectors look as stock as possible (leaving upgraded fuel pump as well)
-put stock exhaust manifold back on
-put stock ECU back on (run car for a while to re-calibrate)
-plug oil drain line from oil pan
-remove oil filter sandwich plate adapter for oil feed
-put all vacuum lines back to stock

Will the lower engine compression be ok? If the smog tech doesn't notice the upgraded injectors, will it still pass? Am I missing something that makes all of this a very bad idea? *putting on flame suit* Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: The possibility of passing CA SMOG with a D-series Turbo engine sans turbo

Thanks for the title change but I feel like it makes the thread sound like I'm trying to pass smog with a turbo. Any way you can put it back or change it to "Remove Turbo to Pass CA Smog"
Old 03-09-2018, 07:04 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default re: The possibility of passing CA SMOG with a D-series Turbo engine sans turbo

injectors aren't hard to change.

Oil filter sandwich plate isn't going to fail visual (not emissions related)

Lower compression may or may not be a problem.

But with tuning these days, why bother going lower compression?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Caoboy. Doesn't the injector wiring have to be soldered onto the the existing wiring?

I want to keep stock compression at 9:1, but I was told it's safer to go lower. I also didn't want to lose too much low end. The more I think about it, my goals are 250hp, I may be able to boost lower if my compression is higher. This will be a weekend warrior with the occasional trip to the track. Would 10:5:1 compression be too high to pass smog?

Does it sound like I covered everything and it's not too wild of an idea? Any other tips to make this even easier/smoother?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

9:1 is low as hell as is, don't go lower than that. Especially if you don't want to lose low end.

Loosely speaking anything 10:1 ->10.5:1 with premium fuel and halfway competent tuning is golden. Many people go higher than that now, but if you're playing it safe that's still a decent eyeball compression to shoot for.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:28 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

250 you could do on a stock 'build' and still pass smog.

They make injector conversion wiring so it's 'plug and play' or make your own and don't worry about it.

How much bigger of an injector are you talking about?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The possibility of passing CA SMOG with a D-series Turbo engine sans turbo

Originally Posted by Chance EG
9:1 is low as hell as is, don't go lower than that. Especially if you don't want to lose low end.

Loosely speaking anything 10:1 ->10.5:1 with premium fuel and halfway competent tuning is golden. Many people go higher than that now, but if you're playing it safe that's still a decent eyeball compression to shoot for.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the stock d16a6 compression ratio at 9:1:1? I was trying to keep the compression as close to stock so that I can pass smog once the turbo is removed.

Would the 10:1 or 10:5:1 compression ratio not pass CA smog if I bump it that high?

Thanks for all the input. Keep them coming. I'm sure a ton of guys are sick of paying an arm and a leg for something that should cost only $45 for smog testing.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The possibility of passing CA SMOG with a D-series Turbo engine sans turbo

Originally Posted by Caoboy
250 you could do on a stock 'build' and still pass smog.

They make injector conversion wiring so it's 'plug and play' or make your own and don't worry about it.

How much bigger of an injector are you talking about?
I've read that 215-225hp would be the max on a stock build. Is that inaccurate? I know tune plays a major role. In addition, my motor has over 200k miles.

I would get injectors that would be able to supply my power goals (~250hp), so I'm thinking 450cc's. By no means am I an expert. This is just from researching. Would you suggest a different size injector that I would be able to just leave in there for smog?
Old 03-17-2018, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Lst time i checked it was a 1000hp e46 M3 in the Europe that could pass emission tests with big *** catalytic converters.
Id add some ideas as low rpm revcut high advance sorcery map, backup 3psi spring, longer gas pedal cable for lower wot (add evil laugh here)
If they fail you just by having a turbo kit on well youll just have the different ecu map solution.
Or a second downpipe to bolt were they turbo was when you remove it that also has a cat very close to the header like european cars.
It will give better results from the oem trust me.
The call it pre-catalytic converter here in europe. Maybe at the states too but it gets the VERY hot gases and coverts very effiiently.
All a cat needs if HEAT to work.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Lst time i checked it was a 1000hp e46 M3 in the Europe that could pass emission tests with big *** catalytic converters.
Id add some ideas as low rpm revcut high advance sorcery map, backup 3psi spring, longer gas pedal cable for lower wot (add evil laugh here)
If they fail you just by having a turbo kit on well youll just have the different ecu map solution.
Or a second downpipe to bolt were they turbo was when you remove it that also has a cat very close to the header like european cars.
The call it pre-catalytic converter here in europe. Maybe at the states too but it gets the VERY hot gases and coverts very effiiently.
Thanks for the feedback, but unfortunately we not only have to pass the sniffer test, we also have visual inspections as well as put on a dyno. My goal is to boost my d16a6 keeping in mind that I'll need to take the least amount of parts off for the bi-annual smog test. Good stuff so far. Keep it coming. TIA
Old 03-17-2018, 04:14 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Problem is that won't pass visual if they aren't CARB stamped cats. They check that.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can save your stock injectors. They aren't hard to swap out. If you have all the tools and the right equipment, I guess it would be worth it. Doing the swap the stock every 2 years. For most people though, it's a bitch of a job that will probably take a whole weekend. Most people just pay the man if they have the means.

I'm in the same boat. I need to smog my turbo d, but my guy is no longer in business. I'm looking for a guy, so 24 pack of beer for anyone who can point me in the right direction here in SoCal, PM me. Makes me envy the BAR'd engine swapped guys.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Holy ****. All that for cali folks? Dude. Every 2 years, I'd just swap an engine. Keep your stock setup and put that bitch in. THAT honestly sounds like less trouble, especially if it's only 2 years.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Holy ****. All that for cali folks? Dude. Every 2 years, I'd just swap an engine. Keep your stock setup and put that bitch in. THAT honestly sounds like less trouble, especially if it's only 2 years.
Im limited on storage, so storing a 2nd motor may be out of the question. Injectors aren't that bad if I get the plug and play adapters unless someone knows of any upgraded injectors that would pass smog. I think the only PITA part would be the stock exhaust manifold. Even then, I could install that in pieces. I'd get a custom exhaust with flanges that'll make it much easier to bolt on my cat.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
There is something special about a turbo D. The other day, this dude in a lifted "Bro" Truck was giving me props. He was like," Is that thing Turbo?!" as he looks from high atop his "Bro" Perch. But he had a smile from ear to ear, and I gladly conversated with him at the stoplight, as car guys do, yelling at each other from our rolled down windows. The diesel guys for sure like most things turbo. When the weather gets cold, boost builds quicker... I could go on and on....

Laws out hear suck though. Smog laws specifically target Honda owners. The **** is corrupt. Our little econoboxes, even when "tuned", still have a way less carbon foot print, (If you care about that) than these new cars. Because our **** is just lighter. Less brakes needed, less rubber, less everything. Sorry ranting again.

I personally have the main parts of the old school d series Greddy turbo kit on my 92 EH2. Kinda nice having a 90's turbo Honda with A/C and powersteering still intact. (A/C there but leaked out)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:23 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

That's the other thing, if you piece together a CARB legal greddy kit, no need to worry about smog
Old 04-01-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

I don't see what your question is?

#1 once you get pulled over and your engine is popped for inspection you will get a reff ticket for having a Turbo unless you have a Greddy carb legal sticker to try and fool the cop into thinking its a carb legal turbo kit but chances are it wont work cause the CA cops know allot about the Honda scene. So when you go to the reff you will be forced to have the car 100% stock and pass there smog test, and they are strict! they know every vinn number the engine should have to the carb legal numbers for the mods you have if they are even carb legal. I had to do this with my LHT JRSC setup I had when I got a reff ticket, I got a reff ticket for having a AEM FPR, everything else had carb numbers to refer too even though my JRSC was modified and no longer street legal, I had to put the car back to stock and it took 2 trys to pass there smog.

So either way if you get a reff ticket or want to smog it you will need to put the car 100% back to stock to pass in CA.

So even if you put everything back to stock for annual smog you risk not passing the first or second time so sometimes its easier and better to pay to pass like I do $250.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr

#1 once you get pulled over and your engine is popped for inspection you will get a reff ticket for having a Turbo unless you have a Greddy carb legal sticker to try and fool the cop into thinking its a carb legal turbo kit but chances are it wont work cause the CA cops know allot about the Honda scene. So when you go to the reff you will be forced to have the car 100% stock and pass there smog test, and they are strict! they know every vinn number the engine should have to the carb legal numbers for the mods you have if they are even carb legal. I had to do this with my LHT JRSC setup I had when I got a reff ticket, I got a reff ticket for having a AEM FPR, everything else had carb numbers to refer too even though my JRSC was modified and no longer street legal, I had to put the car back to stock and it took 2 trys to pass there smog.

So either way if you get a reff ticket or want to smog it you will need to put the car 100% back to stock to pass in CA.

So even if you put everything back to stock for annual smog you risk not passing the first or second time so sometimes its easier and better to pay to pass like I do $250.
Thank you for this reply.

I have the greddy manifold, GReddy Turbo (I believe its a TD06) mated to a Greddy down pipe. I think the part that had the carb #'s where on the intake pipe, and those other parts I don't have. It's extremely rare finding an original complete GReddy D-series turbo kit from the late 90's. The turbo, mani, and dp was the best I could manage to find.
I like the combo because it allows you to retain A/C and P/S. PM sent. I got a Firestick with your name on it, if you wanna help the cause and point a brotha in da right direction.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr

I understand the ref ticket is a completely different inspection. I currently have non carb parts, got pulled over multiple times, and was never sent to the ref. They even popped my hood to show a rookie cop what to look for. Btw, he pointed at my intake manifold and said those are the headers. Maybe I was lucky every time. By no means am I a street racer (too much at risk).

With that said, lets assume that I don't get a ref ticket and only going to the regular smog stations. I'd do a pre-test the first time just to see what they say and minimize the risk of being sent to the ref. I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to pass without swapping the engine. Thanks to this thread, I think I got most of it down, but still open to suggestions.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 88CRsXy
Thanks to this thread, I think I got most of it down, but still open to suggestions.
Be fortunate that you got what you did from us here. 99% wouldn't go through all of that just to satisfy the CARB *****.
I think you're about done.. Now, to go try out your theories.