Notices

Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right?

If I'm looking to run the maximum possible boost on my little greddy 15G, do I take the outlet adapter assembly apart like this...

...and lift the flapper and port out the hole a little bit so I don't get boost flux at higher boost levels?

TIA
Old 01-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (boostincoupe)

yep, just dont port it too big
Old 01-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (wantboost)

any ballpark figures on how much it should be ported?
Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (boostincoupe)

leave a little bit of material for the flapper to rest against
Old 01-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I honestly don't think porting it would help it that much (as in holding more boost)

maybe to prevent more boost creep it might be noticeable.

I would rather spend time to find a way so that you could seperate the WG flapper pressure flow from the downpipe.

BUT thats just me though.

Charlie Neng Moua
Old 01-22-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (Charlie Moua)

Porting the WG hole is a worth while task for any turbo car. The greddy kit needs everything ported, that kit has a lot of very small turbo stuff. I thought my freinds 15g greddy kit had a bigger turbo than my WRX turbo, but he took it off and it looks like a 1.8T VW turbo ( VERY SMALL ). Honestly I'm shock people get them to make 200+ Whp at all. The Down pipe for the kit is just insanely too small too. No less it bolts right on and its pretty reliable... Also gotta consider that it was built for 5-6psi non-intercooled...

Porting the WG hole isn't going to help you "run more boost", just make a few more ponies and make quadriple sure your not going to get "boost creep".
Old 01-23-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (89dxhunchback)

anyone have ported PICS
Old 01-23-2005, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (89dxhunchback)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89dxhunchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Porting the WG hole isn't going to help you "run more boost", just make a few more ponies and make quadriple sure your not going to get "boost creep".</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know that. I'm trying to run 15 psi reliably and make as much power as possible at that boost level (15-16 psi). What else can be ported on the greddy turbo setup? The manifold? turbo inlet?

I'm also going to be running a KTeller 2.5" GReddy downpipe, 2.5" Carsound cat and 60mm DC Sports exhaust (quiet).
Old 01-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (Charlie Moua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would rather spend time to find a way so that you could seperate the WG flapper pressure flow from the downpipe.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like this?

Twin-exit downpipe for Greddy turbos

$500 USD
Old 01-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89dxhunchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Porting the WG hole is a worth while task for any turbo car. The greddy kit needs everything ported, that kit has a lot of very small turbo stuff. I thought my freinds 15g greddy kit had a bigger turbo than my WRX turbo, but he took it off and it looks like a 1.8T VW turbo ( VERY SMALL ). Honestly I'm shock people get them to make 200+ Whp at all. The Down pipe for the kit is just insanely too small too. No less it bolts right on and its pretty reliable... Also gotta consider that it was built for 5-6psi non-intercooled...

Porting the WG hole isn't going to help you "run more boost", just make a few more ponies and make quadriple sure your not going to get "boost creep".</TD></TR></TABLE>
hey man how are you liking your wrx turbo? I have the same turbo on my y8 running 10psi. I got tired of my internal wastegate never working right and causing my spoolup times to be terrible so I welded the flapper shut and converted to an external tial. I'm also thinking about swapping it out for a sti turbo
Old 01-23-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Porting the Greddy internal WG flapper...do I have it right? (SOHC_MShue)

I liked the WRX turbos instant boost and "good" top end, but it didn't like a dirt-dobber nest in the oil feedline, so I had it rebuilt with a Garrett 50-trim compressor wheel and a 15degree turbine clip. Its pretty sweet at 12-14psi.

Honestly, I think the WRX turbo is the idea turbo for the SOHC owner that wants a really good looking powerband and wants to stay with-in the blocks power limit.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out the sig. That is 16PSi D16 15G on a Mustang Dyno